Hamish and Annie Say:

Laughter is God’s Sunshine. Take time
to laugh for it is the music of the soul.

      Pam's Journal For June 2008

  Sunday 1st June 2008.  
  We left Fitzroy by 9:30 a.m. and had a good run through to Derby. It was not the most interesting of journeys, it was very flat and boring. Additionally a lot of 'prescribed burning' had been done so in places all we could see was charred, blackened bush. Of course, after the next 'wet' it will all come back, fresh and green.

We arrived in Derby around 1:30 p.m. and were slightly peeved at the caravan park as we had been led to believe that it was a beautiful place. It was small with gravel underfoot, not the lush grass we had just left behind. The ablution block however, was brand new and lovely. Granted not very big, but it was a pleasure to shower in.

Now Pete Mate is not happy. Okay, the park isn’t the best but we have stayed in a lot worse. It is cheap, so what could be the problem? Then it dawned on me; this is an adult only park so we do not have any ankle biters. No ankle biters means no yummy mummies. I guess he will survive. Hey, hang on – no yummy mummies also means no dads with tight butts. Ho hum.
  Monday 2nd June 2008.  
  We had our morning walk, which we have been sadly neglecting of late. This was due to a man-cold and a second hand cold which - I am pleased to say - have now departed to some other poor unsuspecting souls.

Derby is a small town and it seems fairly quiet; I think a week here will be long enough. We can buy takeaway wine in casks - two litres maximum, only one cask per person - but not for long. When present stocks are depleted they will not be replaced. You cannot purchase alcohol before noon. This is all to accommodate the natives who drink themselves silly. All well and good if it works but what happens is we are inconvenienced and they just find ways around it, like travelling down to Broome and bringing large quantities back.

We did, however, find Woolworths supermarket well stocked and reasonably priced.
In Fitzroy a cucumber cost $6.50. Here it is $1.48.
In Fitzroy mushrooms cost $21/kg. Here they are $8.98/kg.
In Fitzroy milk costs $2.80. Here it is $2.03.
Big differences, AND meat is the cheapest I have seen since leaving Adelaide.
  Tuesday 3rd June 2008.  

Our morning walk today was tramping around the pioneer cemetery. We came across some interesting graves relating to the history of the town. William Richardson was a police constable engaged by the government to round up tribes of Aborigines; he had an Aboriginal tracker with him called Jandamarra. It all worked well until it was Jandamarra’s tribe’s turn to be rounded up. The tracker took exception to this and shot poor old William.

We were intrigued by Jack Marshall’s grave.

Would Jack have us believe he lived to be 162?

It indicated that he lived to a ripe old age of 162 years. We investigated and found out that he was 70 years old when he died and the dates on his grave are incorrect.

We also saw the grave of police tracker Larry Kunamarra. Larry was honoured by the Queen for his services.

Around 1865 many people died of Berri Berri. One poor chap had the misfortune to die suddenly. The authorities were unable to determine the circumstances, but while alive he'd had to endure the name of Patrick Mary Joseph Butler.

Sesquicentennial means: hundred and fiftieth anniversary of (Patrick's departure).
He'd been dead 104 years in 1995. Perhaps they meant 'Centennial'?
The termite mounds were taking over the cemetery and . . .
. . . one in particular practically covered a grave.
  After the cemetery we went to look at the Prison Boab Tree, Mayall’s Cattle Trough and Frosty’s Pool, all very interesting and part of Derby’s history. The Prison Boab was used to house Aboriginal prisoners and the trough was used by cattlemen moving their stock from the cattle stations to the jetty. Frosty’s Pool was built in the second world war by the RAAF and named after a platoon member, Charles V Frost.

By now it was lunchtime so we headed home for a sandwich, then in the afternoon we set forth again to see the sights of downtown Derby. We collected the key for Wharfinger House from the Information Centre. A 'wharfinger' was the person who owned or controlled the wharf. His residence has been converted into a museum.

We wandered about the different rooms; some of the information was interesting but the mosquitoes were biting the life out of us so we moved on. Derby mosquitoes don’t do solo travelling, they fly in squadrons and attack from every direction. Vicious little critters.

We drove out to One Mile Dinner Camp. Again this was connected to the cattlemen who used to set up camp and dinner was prepared. Very often an animal or two would be slaughtered and the town’s people invited to enjoy some fresh beef. It was the last holding point for the cattle before they were moved to the jetty.

We enjoyed a glass of red in the peaceful surrounds of the mudflats, not that they held much appeal for us, but there were plenty of boab trees and it was, as I said, very peaceful, even with a few people milling about with their dogs.

We then realised we had better get a move on to the jetty to watch the sun set. We were in good time and bumped into a couple called Greg and Janet that we had met on the Geikie Gorge tour. We saw a most beautiful sunset whilst we sipped our wine and chatted. Perfect.
Pete Mate's silhouette is on the left and Janet's in the centre. The others are unknown.
  Once back at camp we met up with Greg and Janet at the barbecue area and ate our meals together, drinking copious amounts of wine in the process.

Greg and Janet are a lovely couple. Greg relayed to us a story of when they were in the Bungle Bungle National Park and saw three young backpackers wandering about. They had left their car 53kms down the road as it wouldn’t travel on the unsealed roads. They had managed to get a lift in to the park but were unable to get a lift back. Greg and Janet were staying overnight at the camp, so Greg went looking for them as he was concerned that they had nothing with them, not even water. He couldn’t find them and assumed they made it back to their car. He was horrified next morning to discover they had slept on the verandah of the visitors' centre with only water. He complained to the park authorities but they declared that they were only obliged to supply water, which they did. If everyone in this world cared about their fellow man as Greg and Janet do, what a wonderful world we would live in.
  Wednesday 4th June 2008.  
  We spent the day here and there, some shopping, some sightseeing and then in the evening we met up with Greg and Janet again.

The sightseeing consisted of being on the jetty for low tide and then again for high tide. It was quite amazing the difference. We met a couple walking the jetty as we were. They were very disappointed as they expected to find a very long jetty, not a curved one. They had seen a photo and felt deceived by the photographer who had given a wrong impression of the jetty.

The shopping involved buying some wine; we had to go together as we wanted to purchase two casks and the law in this town only allows one per person per day. Whoever said the law is an ass is right.

First point: He made me pay for them separately to comply with the rules – don’t ask me, I still don’t understand the logic. I was paying for both casks and I gave him the correct money. He gave me half back. Then I returned it to him to cover the second cask which he rang up separately. Before we left, carrying one cask each, Pete Mate asked if it was legal for him to have a drink from my cask.

Second point: We could then legally go to the two other bottle shops in town and buy two casks from each of them. Now we have six litres each to get drunk on and cause mayhem in the town. But we're legal.

People in authority say it works and drunkenness and violence amongst the Aborigines has decreased. I guess they don’t all travel down to Broome load up their four wheel drives with grog and return here and drink themselves silly.

We spent a very pleasant evening with Greg and Janet who leave for Cape Leveque tomorrow.
  Thursday 5th June 2008.  
  Since arriving at the top end of W.A. we have done some wonderful tours but today takes the prize. We were collected by a mini bus that took us to Derby Airport. We had to climb aboard a sea plane which, even on the ground, is a feat in itself for a person with short legs.

Once on board we took off for a very pleasant flight over the beautiful West Kimberley landscape to the Horizontal Falls. We over-flew the falls before landing on the water and waiting for a boat to come and collect us. By now I was having a fit and a half. First it was a small boat. I had had enough trouble getting into the plane on dry land but to have to clamber out over deep water, perhaps with sharks and crocodiles near by, and leap across onto an inflatable boat - well, I decided the Lord should just take me now.

Anyway I did it. I climbed out of the plane and on to the boat. I was shaking so much that if I had had false teeth they would have fallen out. No, I am not exaggerating! Once on the boat I was unable to swing my leg over the saddle-type seat so sat on a bench at the back. The boat took us up a narrow gorge and into a lake where there was a houseboat moored. We then had to get off this confounded boat and step on to a house boat. Why did I ever agree to this?

Once on the house boat I felt calm and enjoyed a coffee and some biscuits. We then had to re-board the boat again. By now I was an old hand at it and got in without any trouble. Okay, okay, I am lying; two nice young men held my hands whilst I stumbled aboard. But before I even got to that point I had to be told that I had my life jacket on back to front and would have floated upside down if I had gone into the water.

We now set off for the falls; it was scary, exciting and wet. The boat tipped from side to side and went very fast. The first time we went through the falls I had my eyes closed and prayed a lot. Once through I realised I was going to survive and I began to enjoy it. At the end I was so glad that I did it and over all thoroughly enjoyed the day. We had a lovely lunch and relaxed on the house boat until the plane came to collect us.
We saw the most spectacular scenery on the way home; it looked like we were spying on Paradise.
  Once back at the airport we transferred to the minibus and were delivered home, safe and sound. We enjoyed Happy Hour with two couples who had been to the same place with a competing tour operator. Overall we seem to have had the better trip.  
  Friday 6th June 2008.  
  The only item left on our 'to do' list was the Old Gaol; it was a derelict building with a lot of poster boards depicting the life of these poor Aborigine beggars who were chained by the ankles and the neck. Their lives were pitiful and most of the time they had just taken a cow for food.

We then had a couple of errands to do before returning home. No Happy Hour tonight as our playmates have all left, plus it is pouring with rain and very cold.
  Saturday 7th June 2008.  
  Get ready day as tomorrow we leave for Broome.  
  Sunday 8th June 2008.  
  We said goodbye to Derby around 9:30 a.m. and had a good trip through to Broome. Again the scenery was pretty boring and had been burnt, the only item of interest was when we stopped at a rest area for a coffee break. The ground near where we stopped was littered with bird feathers. The feathers didn’t look like they belonged to a chook but who knows, we are not experts in the art of plucking chooks.

Pete Mate went to investigate whilst I checked that our toilet was still in working order. He didn’t find any bones but he did find the remains of a fire, he also decided it couldn’t have been Aborigines as there weren’t any grog cans lying about. There was plenty of other rubbish even though very large rubbish bins had been provided.

We arrived in Broome in time for a late lunch. We set up camp and had a rest; before we knew it, it was time for Happy Hour. The caravan park is basic but clean enough, the people are friendly. So I guess we will stay here a while.
  Monday 9th June 2008.  
  It is very quiet here and the night was cool making for a sound sleep.

After getting a few chores out of the way we went to explore Broome. We were here about fifteen years ago and could not believe the changes; the place has grown so much. The centre has heaps of new shops, cafes and roads. It is very busy - the first place we've found a queue in the Information Centre.

We discovered a rather good camping and caravan shop, and as our ‘beloved’ Jayco needs some minor repairs we bought a few things. After doing some shopping we headed home for a very late lunch.
  Tuesday 10th June 2008.  
  Lay Day.
  Wednesday 11th June 2008  
  We went for a walk on the ‘world famous’ Cable Beach. It really is a lovely beach with lots of people sun baking, swimming, and surfing. Or, like us, just walking. Some sun worshippers were topless and Pete Mate was given one of those looks only a wife can give. It said don’t you dare take a photo. On the web page you can see his compromise; she at least is covered up in all the important places.  
  A lugger sails elegantly by off Cable Beach ignored by a young woman intent on texting.  
  We then went to look at Town Beach where we decided to have lunch. I had eaten half my sandwich when I found a plastic tie from the bread wrapper amongst the salad. I was not happy and refused to finish the rest. Pete Mate, being a gentleman, took it back. They offered me another sandwich but I declined and was given my money back. We then had a wander though the Pioneer Cemetery which was interesting but didn’t have anything outstanding. The cemetery was on a hillside overlooking the beach, what a picturesque place to be buried.

Happy Hour was looming so we made our way home where we spied a note left on our table. Our friends Janet and Greg had arrived. (First met in Fitzroy then again in Derby). We went to their site but found them out, however we noticed they were camped on the wrong site number.

Later Pete Mate walked back to leave them a note. He never came back so I went in search and found him helping Janet and Greg to move their things. He had pointed out that they were on the wrong site and Greg had informed the office but instead of amending their records they made them move. Anyway once all that was done we enjoyed a wonderful Happy Hour with two of the nicest people you could possibly meet.
  Thursday 12th June 2008  
  Lay day today; walking on the beach doesn’t really do a lot for my ankle. We enjoyed another pleasant Happy Hour with J & G.  
  Friday 13th June 2008.  
  Janet came over in the morning for Peter’s help cleaning her camera. Sadly he was unsuccessful and she left to take it to a camera shop.

We went into China Town to the Post Office and were pleasantly surprised to find lots of interesting little shops. From there we wended our way up to Gantheaume Point where we enjoyed our picnic lunch with a backdrop of some beautiful scenery.

After lunch we explored the point which meant scrambling over some rocks and uneven ground. This is definitely not my forte, even with the help of my walking stick. We hadn’t been there long when Janet and Greg arrived so we continued our exploring together.
Greg, Jan and Pete Mate sitting around Anastasia's Pool. Anastasia was the arthritic wife of a former lighthouse keeper and he hand built the pool for her. How an arthritic woman scrambled over the rocks to reach it I don't know. I gave up and took the photo instead.
  We found Anastasia’s Pool and Greg, Janet and Pete Mate climbed in for a photo shoot. I found the place fascinating, there were so many interesting rock formations. We discovered how fragile the area was when we picked up pieces of fallen rocks and they crumbled in our hands.  
A peak of the bay and boats between crumbling rocks at Gantheaume Point
  From Gantheaume Point we made our way to Cable Beach to watch Janet ride a camel . . .  
I'll slide them off the back.   I'll slide them down my neck.   Oh well, I'll just take them for a ride.
Janet, riding pillion, loves camels and the camel behind loved having its chin tickled.
  She had mentioned earlier that she intended to do this and we wanted to take photos for our digital frame, I have started a collection of our friends on camels. We saw a lovely sunset before heading home for some dinner.

Happy Hour was a late one tonight but still very enjoyable. Our next door neighbours joined us and we were told that they also had to move as they were on the wrong site. The numbering of sites in this place is very confusing.
  Saturday 14th June 2008.  
  We checked out the weekend markets. There were one or two interesting items but the rest was the usual stuff. We then visited a couple of internet places as we have used our Telstra quota for this month. Once home we didn’t do much until we had a visit from Janet to ask were we going to the Cable Beach to watch the sunset.

We met them on the beach just after 4:00 p.m. and set up the chairs, nibbles and wine. It was a perfect way to spend a couple of hours. We saw the camels again, plus a few people wandering about without any clothes on whatsoever. I guess it is one way of ensuring an all-over tan. We witnessed a beautiful sunset.

Finally, with the stars bright overhead, we then said our goodbyes and made for home. Never trust a man who says he knows a short cut! I am sure men do know short cuts but do they actually take you where you want to go? Alice had a fit and told us to go to h**l, so we turned around, backtracked and eventually arrived home in plenty of time to watch The Bill.
  Sunday 15th June 2008.  
  We did a few chores and not much else. Pete Mate fitted new feet to our video/dvd player as it kept overheating. Now the air can circulate and hopefully it will behave itself. Janet and Greg came over later and we had a short Happy Hour before retiring to our respective caravans for dinner. We then continued the ‘Happy Hour’ whilst playing a game, I think was called Rummeking. Anyway it was good fun even though Janet kept winning. By the way, no one has moved on to the site from which J & G were made to move.  
  Monday 16th June 2008.  
  In the morning we did some shopping and then the rest of the day was a lay day. In the evening we had a visitor from Sydney. A journalist came to Broome to interview us for an advert for Mitsubishi. He ‘Googled’ Pajeros and came across our website. He is interviewing other people as well and then Mitsubishi will decide which people they will use for an advert. So we could have our five minutes of fame, who knows.  
  Tuesday 17th June 2008.  
  Pete Mate drove the four of us out to Willie Creek Pearl Farm. We enjoyed a really good tour and learnt how the pearls are made and what to look for when making a purchase. We also saw inside an oyster. Not the most beautiful thing in the world. Our tour guide encouraged us to touch it but I left that to others. Afterwards we went home for lunch and a rest before heading down to Cable Beach to see the sunset. We saw nude bathers, camels and, of course, a beautiful sunset.  
  Wednesday 18th June 2008.  
  We had a beach day today. We were collected by our hosts, Janet and Greg, and taken to the northern beaches. We drove down dirt roads and narrow tracks that made me, for one, a tad nervous but we survived. We had a really lovely day visiting the bays along the way. We walked on the beach, paddled in the ocean, Janet swam and Greg threw in a line, though without success.  
  Pete Mate stands on a flat rock. "Thou art Peter and upon this rock . . . "
Greg tries for a fish and wonders where he's going to find a loaf.
  Once back at home we ate dinner and then played Rummeking again. Pete Mate and I are not getting any better.  
  Thursday 19th June 2008.  
  We had quite a few errands to do in town plus a visit to a doctor. Nothing serious, just a big toe that has found itself an infection.

Later we went in search of the Dinosaur footprints. We drove to the beach at Gantheaume Point to find an easy way down the cliff to these footprints. Janet and Pete Mate went to reconnoitre and found the only way was to climb down the rocks. So Greg and I did the only decent thing we could do, left them to it whilst we set up Happy Hour on the beach. Someone had to keep an eye on the sunset; which incidentally was magnificent.

We then made our way home for dinner after which we all played Rummeking yet again. This time I actually won a game.
  Friday 20th June 2008.  
  We collected Jan and Greg as the four of us were doing the Pearl Luggers tour today. It was a very interesting tour learning more about the pearling industry. We were able to look at the diver's suit and helmet and hold a weighted boot. How on earth did the divers manage? It was all so heavy. We were allowed to hold a very expensive pearl . . .  
   . . . and we ate pearl meat which tasted of nothing but the marinade. It is supposed to be an aphrodisiac, I did say supposed to be. Afterwards we took Greg and Janet back to their car where it was having a new exhaust fitted.

Much later in the day we packed up Billy and took him to see the Staircase to the Moon. This phenomenon only happens on certain days at certain times of the year and can only be seen from Broome, Port Hedland and Karratha. Well, we were there early and we set up the table and chairs along with the wine and nibbles. The two ardent photographers set up their tripods facing the correct way after consulting other spectators. Janet and I had a quick look at the “Staircase Markets"; yep, everyone has to have a piece of the action.

Well, darkness fell, we think the moon rose but because there was so much cloud we didn’t see a thing. So cold - yes, I kid you not, it gets cold in Broome - and fed up, we packed up and went home for dinner. We then played Rummeking for the last time and Greg and Janet wiped the floor with us once more.
  Saturday 21st June 2008.  
  The four of us went to the Bird Observatory this morning. It was an extremely windy morning and we didn’t see many birds, just a Sea Eagle and a Kite. The place was obviously government funded as there were unlocked rooms containing expensive equipment just waiting to 'disappear'. At first we couldn’t find a soul as they were off somewhere doing some research. Later, the people we spoke to seemed unconcerned about the theft risk - "This is Broome", they said. We then went home for lunch.

Around 6:00 p.m. we headed back to Town Beach to see if the Staircase was going to make an appearance. We had booked a table for dinner at a restaurant overlooking the beach and thought this would give us a vantage point to view the scene. Wrong! Everyone who came after us stood in front of us so all we could see was a sea of people. I left the other three as, being short, I can actually make my way to the front of a crowd without too much effort. No, Pete Mate, I do not crawl between their legs.

I had a good view of the moon rising and the reflections off the beach pools but it wasn’t really a staircase. I do believe at times it can look like a staircase but it wasn’t going to happen for us. By now I was so cold that my bones had started to freeze so we went home and sat outside the caravan drinking red wine with Janet, Greg, Laurie and Wendy. Sitting outside is a really good move when you are already frozen. We did have a very pleasant time and it was Janet and Greg’s last night with us.
  Sunday 22nd June 2008.  
  We said our sad goodbyes to Janet and Greg; we will miss them as we enjoyed their company very much. The rest of the day was a lay day as we were too miserable to do anything else. I did, however, read the newspaper and discover a little more about Jandamarra. (See 3rd June this page). Firstly there has been a play written about him and it will tour the Kimberley in 2009. The playwright describes Jandamarra as a police tracker and resistance fighter. He was from the Bunuba tribe and a skilled stockman on the Lennard River Station. He then became a police tracker capturing Aborigines that speared sheep. When members of his own tribe were captured he, as previously mentioned, killed the policeman and freed his mates. He evaded capture for three years during which time he raided settlers property, then his luck ran out and he was killed near his hideout at Tunnel Creek.

Now in which part of that story was Jandamarra a ‘resistance fighter’? According to the Macquarie Dictionary a resistance fighter belongs to a secret organisation in an enemy-occupied country working to maintain hostilities unofficially after formal capitulation.
  Monday 23rd June 2008.  
  The plan today was to go and do some shopping and then return home for some lunch before heading out again to do some sightseeing. What is that saying, ‘The best laid plans of mice and men’? We hadn’t gone too far when Billy had a hissy fit and blew his fuses. We then spent the biggest part of the day at the side of the road with Peter trying to establish what was wrong. We found a place that sold fuses and Pete Mate fitted new ones. We eventually made it to the shopping centre having blown some more fuses; we would be okay as long as we didn’t have to indicate right. I should have been driving as I avoid turning right whenever possible. We had a very late lunch around 3:00 p.m. We couldn’t order fresh sandwiches as "the kitchen closed half an hour ago". So we had to make do with sandwiches that looked like they had been made at 7:00 a.m. We did some shopping and made it home without any mishaps. The sightseeing will have to wait until tomorrow.  
  Tuesday 24th June 2008.  

Pete Mate had a look at Billy today and what he suspected was wrong was correct. He repaired it, took it for a test drive and so far it seems to be okay.

Later we explored China Town. The Chinese had a great impact on Broome during the boom years of pearling as did the Japanese. We strolled through lanes of little shops, all with a Chinese look about them.

Even the telephone kiosk was in keeping with the surrounds.

We read all the information about Johnny Chi who was one of the first Chinese to make his fortune here. We wandered through the Sun Picture house that was preserved in its original state and still operates. Its claim to fame is that it is ‘the oldest picture garden in the world’.

We then looked at the Japanese Air Raid Commemorative Plaque which included a map of how and where Japanese fighter bombers destroyed flying boats moored off Town Beach. The remains of these can be viewed on a ‘negative tide’. Now if someone can explain to us exactly what a negative tide is, we would be eternally grateful. The girl in the information centre tried but we think she wasn’t really sure herself.

The Cultured Pearl and Hard Hat Diver Monument was next on our itinerary This consisted of life size statues of men from the original pearling industry and a diver, all very life like. Our final item of interest to look at was the Old Lockup and Boab Tree. This we couldn’t find but as I was map reading we weren’t surprised. I did however find a pub.

The Roebuck Bay Hotel but is affectionately known as The Roey. (At one stage it had a sign saying it had an immoral licence and one day we all went in search of this to find out more information. Alas we didn’t find out what it was all about and Greg and Janet had to leave town none the wiser). One of the enormous billboards outside the hotel advertises "If it is happening in Broome it's happening at The Roey". Well we had a drink and listened to very loud music, we sat amidst a fine mist of water being sprayed all over us. Don’t ask because we don’t know the answer. So if that was a ‘happening’ we will revert back to Cable Beach at sunset! When we returned to the caravan there was a Happy Hour in progress next door so we were invited to join. We met Tim and Linda from Mandurah and Olive and Brad from Kingsley. It was a very pleasant hour or two.

  Wednesday 25th June 2008.  

Jane McGrath was buried today. Jane was the wife of Australian cricketer Glen McGrath. She had battled breast cancer for years and at the weekend lost that battle. She was a lovely English lady who touched the hearts of all Australians because, even though she lost the battle, she fought a fierce and brave war for all breast cancer sufferers.

Jane was only 42 years old and leaves behind a grieving husband and two little children. Jane, we never knew you personally but our hearts were definitely a little sadder today.

We did some more sightseeing, having a look at the deep water port. It was a very busy place. We saw both live cattle and enormous pipes for the oil fields being loaded onto two ships. From there we went to Reddell’s Beach. We couldn’t find an easy access actually on to the beach so gave up in the end. Poor old Captain Reddell was murdered by his crew in 1899. From there we went to Gantheaume Point and arrived in the midst of some intriguing activity. We soon found out that we had walked into the middle of a film location for a children's television series. I am afraid we were more interested in the Sea Eagle’s nest on one of the levels of the lighthouse. Then there was a parachutist descending ever so carefully towards the ground. All this excitement in one day was just all too much so we headed home for Happy Hour which tonight was spent with Olive and Brad.

  Thursday 26th June 2008.  
  We were out early this morning as we had a doctor’s appointment. Once that was out of the way we went to have a look at the Japanese and Chinese Cemeteries which have a couple of other cemeteries in between. In the main, the Japanese and Chinese information was in their own language so it wasn’t overly interesting. The general cemetery, which is still being used, was in a very poor state. It had weeds everywhere, broken benches and generally needed some T.L.C.

The last little cemetery I believe was Aboriginal. Apart from broken glass as you entered, the names on the headstones or crosses looked Aboriginal. The benches here looked almost new but were chained to the trees.

We did one or two errands before heading towards Town Beach for lunch and very nice it was too. After lunch we revisited China Town as Pete Mate wanted to take some more photos. Then it was boring old grocery shopping before heading home.
  Friday 27th June 2008.  
  Lay Day. Cleaning, washing and ironing. We had a quiet Happy Hour with just the two of us.  
  Saturday 28th June 2008.  
  I visited the markets in town whilst Pete Mate did the internet stuff at the internet café. We then did some shopping before returning home for lunch. In the evening we went to the Speedway near the caravan park. It was a pleasant evening with some good racing but not something I want to do every week. We wrapped up warm as the nights can be quite cold. The bar only served beer and spirits which isn’t much good to a wine drinker. I settled for a rum and coke but didn’t really enjoy it. On the other hand their homemade pumpkin soup was delicious, so much so that I went back later for some more but they had sold out. We were home by 10:00 p.m. so it wasn’t a late evening.
  Sunday 29th June 2008.  
  Lay day today again. It was extremely pleasant sitting in the warm sunshine knitting, reading and doing crosswords. At one point during the day Pete Mate fed the birds some mince left with us by a neighbour that departed this morning. They were obviously used to being fed but were very wary of Pete Mate.  
  Pete Mate lecturing a bemused magpie on the complexities of flight.  
  A very pleasant Happy Hour was spent with Laurie and Wendy.  
  Monday 30th June 2008.  
  Pete Mate went for his morning shower and returned with a chook in tow. I am not joking, it had followed him home. Much later it wasn’t to be seen anywhere so I guess someone somewhere is having chicken for dinner tonight. I went for a haircut whilst Pete Mate tried to track down a new tripod. He didn’t have any success so settled for washing the car instead. Just after lunch friends Cindy and David arrived so we found their site and had a cup of tea with them. Later, Cindy, David, and their friends, Margaret and John, followed us to Cable Beach to watch the sun set. It was a lovely sunset spent with some really nice people. All too soon it was over and we all went home to our own caravans for dinner.

So too was June over, the 2007-8 financial year and this page.

Footnote: On the 16th (above) I told you about us being interviewed with the possibility of appearing in a Mitsubishi advert. Sadly they chose somebody else. "Sadly" because there would have been $5,000 in it for us. Still, it's only money.