Hi, I'm Pam. This is my take on our doings during March 2012

But first, this month's saying:

Forget about the perfect man - he's living in San Francisco with his boyfriend.

Thursday 1st March 2012

Still the rain comes down; we are getting a little stir crazy so we went back to the bakery in town, this time for lunch. We did a little retail therapy before doing the dreaded supermarket jaunt. We split the list once more but this time we had difficulty in finding each other, not once but twice. I am sure it was all my fault, being short. And I am very good at knocking things over at the check-out. So all in all I don’t think I should be let out again. Why do these checkout counters have to have things on them for us to buy when we have already loaded a trolley to its full capacity? By the time we finished the rain was bucketing down so we sat on the courtesy bench and waited. We love 'people watching' and were quite amused by the quantities of everything a woman was loading into her trolley. I decided she was either in charge of a school or scout camp. Pete Mate? Well, his mind had wandered to the young things in tight shorts.

Friday 2nd March 2012

Not a lot happened here today, the rain continued and I gave up any hope of a fine day and decided to do the washing and dry it in the dryer. Only problem is, there is only one dryer and everyone else had the same idea. Anyway, eventually it was all dry and then once more I retreated inside our nice dry warm caravan.

Saturday 3rd March 2012

It is still pouring down. The place is not only awash but freezing as well so we stayed indoors, dry and warm.

Sunday 4th March 2012

This rain goes on and on and I am getting a little fed up with it so I decided to have a jim-jam day. I did not get dressed all day which was quite slovenly and not something I do often. We were overjoyed in the afternoon to see the sun appear. The rain had stopped and the world began to look a whole lot brighter.

Monday 5th March 2012

We awoke to beautiful sunshine so we got our act together, grabbed the cameras and went back to see Cootamundra in the sunshine. It was a pleasant drive this time, even thought the roads have numerous pot holes in them - some quite large.

Pete Mate has a bee in his bonnet about the state of the railway lines so he wanted to take photos of the track and the trains. He wandered the platform and I found a nice young man to talk to and two very pleasant ladies. One lady was waiting for the bus to take her home to Hay. (The station is for buses as well as trains). The roads had been flooded and so the bus company had given them overnight accommodation in Temora, which she said was very nice. Now they were all back waiting at the station for the all clear from the weather/roads department.

Whilst waiting for the train, Pete Mate and I had a British Rail sandwich and coffee/tea. I say BR because it was the same standard. Eventually the train came, PM did his thing and then we left.

We visited a museum very close to the station and thoroughly enjoyed it. The first thing I saw was a Curio Cabinet; it was built in the style of the 1800’s but was brightly coloured. I opened drawers and cupboards and was delighted with the contents, it was so well done. The museum chap said that display is really for children to get them interested in bygone days. Children indeed! It would be wasted on them but I loved it. Everything in the museum was done really well and I would recommend a visit if you are ever in Cootamundra.

We then went to have a look at Don Bradman’s birth house; we had already seen the house he grew up in, in Temora. The ‘Don’ was born here and is one of cricket’s greats.

Bradman's House

Don Bradman's Birth Home.

As Pete Mate and I are not really interested in cricket it didn’t do much for us apart from the history value. Twice we had to cross roads with water running across them, it was fast flowing water and one was a metre deep so I was not happy. We looked at the giant wickets on the Don Bradman Oval and then went to the Captains Walk. Pete Mate decided to stay in the car whilst I had a look; I took some photos of the Captains I liked and, of course, Don.

Cricket Captains

Bronze busts of four Australian cricket captains.
L to R: Mark Taylor, Adam Gilchrist, Kim Hughes and Don Bradman.

Cricket Park

Unknown cricketer in the background with the captains in the foreground.

When I returned to the car, PM said he wanted a drink. So where did we go but back to the railway station to check if a train was arriving and have a drink. By now I was so over stations, trains and railway tracks that I took my crossword with me. The train was running over two hours late and thankfully PM did not want to wait that long. We decided to go home and have a glass of red.

Tuesday 6th March 2012

Again the sun is with us so today we went to have a look at the Chinese Gardens and Dam. It was quite nice but not in the league of the Japanese Garden in Cowra. Then again, it wasn’t supposed to be; it was a tribute garden. The most delightful thing for me was a family of swans.

We left there thinking it would be nice to have a drink somewhere. "Let’s go to the Historical Wombat", we said.

This pub is historical for the fact that since it was first issued with a licence in the 1880’s, the licence has been continuous. We found it quite a strange place! Firstly when we walked in to be served, it was like we were invisible. (Know that feeling?) Then I said the wine was off . . . which it was. The couple at the end of the bar were from the winery that made the offending wine. I invited him to taste it; he said the wine was fine and was probably due to the fact that I either, (a) had just eaten, or (b) it was my first taste of wine that day.

The latter was true but - sorry Mr Wombat Wines - that was the biggest load of codswallop I have ever heard. I might not be a wine ‘expert’ but I have tasted enough red in the years we have been in Australia to know when a wine is ‘off’. We went to sit outside and were amongst a group of people that had descended upon the town of Wombat to do a RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) course. The course was in the village hall but they were having their break in the pub . . . and all were driving. Then there were some really odd bods at the bar. We only had one drink then went home.

Wednesday 7th March 2012

We did very little today, the weather is still holding so I did some washing.

Thursday 8th March 2012

We went into town to do some shopping and sadly that was the highlight of our day. We are not overly impressed by Young or the caravan park and will be very glad to move on.

Friday 9th March 2012

I didn’t sleep much last night as I have all these bites from sand flies. I kid you not, I have hundreds of them. So I did very little other than read.

Saturday 10th March 2012

The bites are worse and I am not getting much sleep. I have tried all different remedies; nothing seems to work. We cleaned and packed everything away ready for moving on tomorrow.

Sunday 11th March 2012

We left Young around 10.00am, tried to find a chemist open without any luck. As it was not a long trip we arrived in Temora around 11.30am, looked again for a chemist but again no luck. The bites are driving me mad. We set up camp next to a chap who promptly moved as he didn’t like being next to people. We chose the site as it was the best for sitting outside the caravan and watching the planes. Once we were all set we sat outside for a while and just enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of Temora.

Monday 12th March 2012

We went into town to seek medical advice about my bites. It turned out not to be bites but a skin infection I have collected from somewhere. We bought the creams to treat it and hightailed it back home as, until we treated ourselves, we were infectious. Yes, I gave it to Pete Mate. Then we had the massive spring cleaning of all bedding, towels and clothes. Oh, what fun it all was.

Tuesday 13th March 2012

We made a very quick trip back into town to the chemist for something to ease the itching then it was home again to sit outside and scratch, no, sorry, I mean read.

Wednesday 14th March 2012

At last I have been able to get some sleep and feel a whole lot better for it. We did very little as there was very little to do.

Thursday 15th March 2012.

We went into town to do some shopping and to have lunch at our favourite little place in Temora. Apart from that we did very little.

Friday 16th March 2012

Not a lot happening here today, I sat outside reading and knitting. Enjoyed a couple of chats with a couple of ladies I have got to know.

Saturday 17th March 2012

Showcase Day at the airfield. It was was chilly and overcast but at least it wasn’t raining. We had to dig out our jackets from under the bed and find the brolly. We wandered over to the museum for the Showcase Day around 10.30am. The flying was delayed due to some aircraft not having arrived because of the weather conditions at their departure airfield. So we watched a movie (about planes of course). I found it as interesting as Pete Mate would if he watched a movie about knitting. After a little while people started leaving as they could hear a jet engine. We wandered outside, found a seat and then waited some more. By now the weather had improved greatly and we needed sun hats and not coats. Eventually the flying started and it was good; I just get fed up with all the spiel that they feel the need to give you. As always the Spitfire was magnificent. The rest was good too but I can’t remember their names.

Once the flying was over I went home and Pete Mate went into the maintenance hangar to talk to the chaps. Later we went into town to celebrate St Patrick’s Day. The dinner we attended was at café called Mother Shipton’s and the chef who runs it is Irish and is lovely with it. By the way, the name "Mother Shipton" is taken from a mine that used to be just outside Temora.

We booked a taxi, allowing for it to be late, but it wasn’t so we arrived early but that was okay. James and two staff members had green hair and green clothing, then when the people started to arrive we were a sea of green. I wore a bluey green top but Pete Mate didn’t have anything green so he was in blue. The dining area was two long tables beautifully set out so no one was sitting alone which made it a very enjoyable evening as we got to talk to many people. The food, wine and company were excellent; we ate far too much and suffered for it later. All in all it was a great day and evening, the people of Temora know how to give service with a capital ‘S’.

Sunday 18th March 2012

The Showcase Day might be over but plenty was happening here at the airfield. A few caravans left this morning, missing all the fun. A lot of small aircraft took off as did one carrying some parachutists. They were active for most of the day, some tandem but also some solo ones. They always look so graceful when they float to the ground; I just hope when I did it I looked just as graceful. During the morning a helicopter landed just as an ambulance arrived with lights flashing. The helicopter crew transferred a patient into the ambulance which departed for the hospital. A little while later the ambulance returned and the reverse process was carried out. The ambulance then left and the helicopter took off for wherever. As I said, it is all happening here today. Various aircraft came and went as I sat outside doing my knitting or a crossword. Later Pete Mate and I found a nice spot in the shade to have our very own little happy hour.

Monday 19th March 2012

The rest of the caravans left today except for ourselves and two others. Aeroplane-wise it is also quiet. We just relaxed, did some shopping in town then I did the washing and just generally wound down after a very interesting weekend.

Tuesday 20th March 2012

Not much happening here; Pete Mate is going down with a 'man cold' so he doesn’t feel like doing much at all. I am reading an excellent book at the moment so, apart from keeping my man supplied with drinks, I read. At one point, however, I did put the book down and rush outside with Pete Mate to see the Sabre return from wherever it had been for repairs. The pilot gave Pete Mate and I our very own personal display, and it was excellent.

Wednesday 21st March 2012

Pete Mate is worse; he had a shocking night so he did very little apart from lots of lying down. I did a few chores then it was back to the book.

Thursday 22nd March 2012

We needed some supplies and I had a few errands to do in town; Pete Mate was not really up to going but insisted as he knows how much I dislike driving. By the time we got there all he was good for was sitting in the car whilst I went about my business. Once back at the car I could see he wasn’t any better so told him to stay there whilst I did the supermarket shop.

What a nightmare that was! The trolley had a mind of its own, a small baby screamed the whole time I was in there and then Woolworths only had two checkouts open. It was so busy the queues were down the aisles. A member of staff was walking amongst us asking some if they would use the self service checkout. She didn’t ask me otherwise she would have found out I don’t agree with them. They mean someone’s job is on the line. I see nothing wrong in using them if you only have a couple of items and ALL the tills are busy, but no way with a full trolley.

Anyway, once home I started to calm down until I found out a wine cask was leaking over everything. This time I told Pete Mate, no way was he coming, I would drive. The audacity of the chap in the liquor shop! He asked me if I had dropped it.
"No! If I had I wouldn’t be standing here complaining, I would accept it was my fault".
By the time I had finished he was cleaning out the bag in which I had transported the leaking wine bladder and meekly replacing it with one that didn’t leak. Maybe he will think twice next time before trying to be smart.

Home again life returned to normal. Poor old Pete Mate looked and sounded awful.

Friday 23rd March 2012

Pete Mate is a lot better today but I think I might have it now. I did a few chores and then finished my book. I am always sad when I finish a book I have thoroughly enjoyed, it is like saying goodbye to an old friend. I have probably said that before in this journal.

Saturday 24th March 2012

Pete Mate thought all his Christmases had come at once. The volunteer Rural Fire Service are here for the next two days so we have planes, we have water bombers, we have a helicopter, we have gliders and we have parachutists. Obviously not all were connected to the Rural Fire Service but it has all the ingredients for a super duper weekend for PM.

Me? Well, I reckon I am beating off this 'man cold' before it takes hold. I read and knitted whilst PM played with the boys.

Sunday 25th March 2012

How wrong can a person be? I now have a full blown Man Cold and it is not very pleasant. Pete Mate went off to do boys things with planes and so on whilst I lay down. He did, however, make sure I had lots of drinks and anything else I needed. Thank goodness I had a cook-fest on Friday as the last thing I needed was Pete Mate’s God-awful egg sandwiches.

Monday 26th March 2012

Never again will I mock the severity of a Man Cold, I feel awful and decided to stay in bed. Pete Mate did the caring bit, even going into town for cough mixture and soup. By the evening I was beginning to feel better.

Tuesday 27th March 2012

A Man Cold arrives into your home when you are not looking. He brings a bag full of gremlins that make you cough, sneeze and gives you a raging fever and sore throat. When the Man Cold has taken possession of your man, he makes his life so miserable that only red wine can bring comfort. Then the MC becomes fickle and jumps into bed with the woman. He makes her life utterly miserable until she sees him for what he is, packs his bag and kicks his arse out the door. That, Folks, is what I did today. No more germs, no more feeling ill. Life is returning to normal.

Wednesday 28th March 2012

What a night! Heavy rain, thunder and lightening, it is a wonder we got any sleep at all. After doing a few chores I read and did an awful lot of work on the computer that I had been putting off for a while.

Thursday 29th March 2012

We went into town as Pete Mate needed to send his camera off to the Canon Hospital. He had to go to the library first to print the necessary paperwork. Sometime ago our printer died and as we use it so little we decided not to replace it. We now copy anything we need printed on to a memory stick and use someone else’s printer. We were impressed with the service at the Post Office. They helped us with the whole process, even finding old packing out the back for us to use.

Once the camera was safely on its way we went to visit James at Mother Shipton’s for an excellent lunch. It was huge, so much so I didn’t have to cook dinner. We then fed Billy with some diesel and did a supermarket shop. Once home it was time to put our feet up and have a glass of red.

Friday 30th March 2012

I did quite a lot of washing and then started to clean and pack things away ready for Sunday. Later I read for a while then did some knitting. Pete Mate did some maintenance work on the caravan plus some cleaning.

Saturday 31st March 2012

I did the rest of the cleaning and packing away, tried out a new recipe for dinner and then played computers. Pete Mate did pretty much the same as yesterday plus he got everything ready for the move tomorrow.

And that's a wrap for March. Click "Next Page" below to go to April.