Queensland ~ August 2012 

By the time a women realizes her mother was right,
she has a daughter who thinks she's wrong.

Wednesday 1st August 2012

Sat outside and did some reading and then played mah-jong in the afternoon.

Thursday 2nd August 2012

I did some chores in the morning and played mah-jong in the afternoon. If I could find someone to do the chores I could play all day!

Friday 3rd August 2012

I attended T'ai chi first thing this morning then I rushed back to the park for Morning Tea provided by the park. It was very pleasant indeed and it gave Pete Mate a chance to show people the Bell Park Website. If you are interested in viewing PM’s excellent work have a look at www.bellparkcaravanpark.com.au

Once Morning Tea was over we walked into the village for some exercise and to do one or two things. We decided to take our coffees and sandwiches up the hill to sit and look at the view. It was a lovely place to have lunch.

Headland Gazebo
A Very Pleasant Place To Eat Lunch

In the evening we went to Coco’s for dinner with Sue and Jim; it was really nice and we enjoyed ourselves very much.

Saturday 4th August 2012

We walked into the village for a few things and then came home and relaxed. I baked a cake which was an event rather that the norm. It was Skype night and so the cake got a little burnt but tasted good anyway.

Sunday 5th August 2012

Once the chores were done and out of the way it was time to relax and play mah-jong. Three other ladies from the park joined me and we spent a very nice afternoon. Happy Hour was especially happy because Gail celebrated her birthday. She was very amused by two rumours going around the park, one that she was 70 and the other that she was 50, neither of which is true. Her true age? I am not telling.

Monday 6th August 2012

Went for a walk, the place is so beautiful and peaceful first thing in the morning. Then I read and even got the knitting out for a while.

Tuesday 7th August 2012

Another glorious walk, this is becoming a habit, I hope. Pete Mate is sick again with another man cold, I pray he keeps it to himself. I sat outside and read for a while as I wanted to put some distance between PM’s germs and me.

Wednesday 8th August 2012

I took the camera along on my walk today, here are a couple of pics from my walk.

Bell Park
The Way Through The Trees From The Caravan Section To The Rest Of Bell Park

Keppel Islands from Headland
Some Of The Smaller Islands Of The Keppel Group

Pete Mate is still sick so he stayed in bed for most of the day. I went off to play mah-jong. No pub and trivia tonight for us.

Thursday 9th August 2012

I took the car and went to do some shopping, PM is still unwell. In the afternoon I went to the RSL to play mah-jong.

Friday 10th August 2012

Pete Mate is still unwell so our evening out is cancelled before it began. I went off to t'ai chi in the morning and then seem to spend a lot of time chatting to various people before settling down with a book in the afternoon.

Saturday 11th August 2012

My Saturday was cancelled due to a body invasion of Pete Mate’s germs. I laid down for most of the day with the hope I will be better on Sunday.

Sunday 12th August 2012

I am not 100% but I am feeling a whole lot better, even so I have decided to have another day of rest. Being sick doesn’t half mess up your social life. We had to turn down yet another invitation.

Monday 13th August 2012

I think we are both over the worse of everything now. We attended the Trivia afternoon at the barbecue area. It was run by Joan and Michelle (fellow park residents). It was a great afternoon followed by a lovely afternoon tea. Once trivia was over we then progressed into happy hour but for us it was short as we were off to the pub for dinner. Some of our friends are leaving soon so it was a sort of farewell dinner. It was very pleasant and we enjoyed ourselves very much.

Tuesday 14th August 2012

Birthday Cake

The day has finally arrived and I am officially a senior citizen. Turning 60 is not so bad, it sure beats the alternative.

Pete Mate and I went out for brunch in Yeppoon which was really nice. We then went into the shopping centre to collect a few essentials, like wine, we then headed home to relax.

In the evening we had a pizza and birthday cake party. It followed Happy Hour which was a little tricky as some people I hadn’t invited decided to stay. As I had only catered for 45 people I was concerned we wouldn’t have enough food, but we did and everyone had a good time, especially me. I think I am going to enjoy being 60 a lot.

Pam Blowing Out The Candles on her Giant Birthday Cake

Wednesday 15th August 2012

A few ladies from the park walked over to the bakery for morning tea. It was lovely to sit and chat over a coffee. The main subject was ‘women’s health issues’; it is always good to compare notes. Once home it was time to relax before heading off to the pub for trivia night. All good fun.

Thursday 16th August 2012

We played social bowls at the local bowling club. As we are not bowlers it proved to be quite interesting. Pete Mate and I were on different teams and it was an enjoyable afternoon, so much so PM and I are considering giving it a go. I do admit to being very grumpy when leaving the green as I saw Pete Mate with a drink in one hand and in the other - well, that was empty and my drink should have been there. When I asked for a drink he tells me the winners have to buy. I didn't actually say what was in my head, I just said through gritted teeth Get me a DRINK. I was worn out and hot. Once the wine was inside me my countenance improved no end.

Arriving back home we were over to happy hour quick smart as there was a barbecue provided by Jim and Sue. It was a lovely day and evening.

Friday 17th August 2012

I went off for Tai Chi in the morning and then did some shopping. I was very surprised after yesterday that I felt no ill effects in the legs, I put it down to the stretching exercises I do in Tai Chi. In the evening we went to the Bowling Club for dinner. A band was playing and I even got up for a dance or two. Pete Mate was also seen on the dance floor at one point. I am afraid we had a little too much of the good stuff but then that is what Friday night is for, isn’t it?

Saturday 18th August 2012

During the day we took it easy and then in the evening we attended yet another farewell dinner. This time Marty provide the steaks and salads plus we had pancakes and curried sausages but not in that order. It was Sue’s birthday so we also had birthday cake and sang happy birthday. Another good night with some lovely people.

Sunday 19th August 2012

In the morning I went to have a look at the local markets, it was smaller than previous ones but I did mange to get some local honey, relishes and oils. I also bought for $1 Max Boyce Live at The Opera House. We used to love Max Boyce when we lived in Wales. For those who don’t know him, he is a comedian/singer of the Welsh variety. At midday we were collected, along with a few other people, by a bus and taken out to the Golf Resort at Zilzie. We enjoyed some delicious fish and chips and then we were split into teams and played putt putt. It is years since we played so it proved to be very interesting. Kevin and Chris joined PM and myself to make a team and it very quickly became apparent to the scorer (me) that Kevin was quite good and I was rubbish. It was a lot of laughs and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. When the next putt-putt outing is arranged we will be there for sure.

Once home I played Mah-Jong for a couple of hours and then went over to the barbecue area for happy hour and to listen to some music. The music was quite good and we enjoyed ourselves.

Monday 20th August 2012

Pete Mate had to be up early this morning and I mean early. He had to get Billy to the repairers in Yeppoon by 7.30am. Poor Billy, we will have to leave him there all alone for about a week. Pete Mate caught the bus back and then we sat and read in the sunshine.

Tuesday 21st August 2012

I caught up with some chores and then sat outside and knitted. I am making myself a fluffy type of scarf and for a first a attempt I was very pleased with myself. In the evening we went out with my Mah-Jong friends and their husbands. We went to the Thai restaurant and the meal was lovely as was the company. We said our goodbyes to Susan and Theo as they will be away early in the morning.

Wednesday 22nd August 2012

I went for a haircut which I am very pleased with, then Pete Mate met me at the bakery for lunch. We had to walk up to the pub for some wine as we have run out and without a car we have to take what we can get. By that I mean the pub is a little expensive for take away wine and beer. In the afternoon I played Mah-Jong with the lovely Helen. My Mah-Jong buddies are all leaving and by Friday I will be playing solo. We went again to the pub in the evening for dinner which was very nice, then we played trivia and our team not only won but we also walked away with the door prize which was a bottle of wine.

Thursday 23rd August 2012

We walked into the village to do a few things, had a coffee and returned home for an early lunch. In the afternoon I walked up to the RSL with Helen to play Mah-Jong. The whole day was a bit of a trial because I have lost my voice. In the evening we enjoyed a happy hour followed by a fish barbecue. The fish was provided by Trevor and Jeannie and we all took salads. It was a lovely evening not too cool. The sad part of the day was saying goodbye to Helen and John but God willing we will all be together again next year.

Friday 24th August 2012

What a terrible night I had, losing the voice has now developed into something else, I hardly slept a wink for coughing. I also couldn’t open one eye until I had bathed it. I gave Tai Chi a miss and phoned the doctor for an appointment. Pete Mate got a lift into Yeppoon to collect Billy and he was back in time to take me to the doctors for which I am eternally grateful as I think walking there might have just about finished me off. The doctor gave me antibiotics for a throat and chest infection plus eyes drops for conjunctivitis and fluid tablets; apparently I am not getting rid of excess fluid. I would have thought the amount of times I go to the loo that would not have been an issue. After collecting the scripts and refusing Pete Mate’s offer of going to the pub I came home and went to bed.

Saturday 25th August 2012

I stayed in bed for most of the day as I felt really ill; I cannot remember the last time I felt so ill. The strange part is on Thursday even though I had lost my voice I felt fine until the night time. The whole caravan park was disturbed by three people in a tent who left their car radio blaring away and the car door open. Just after 11.30pm Pete Mate went to look for them, found no one about and turned the ignition key off. He did think for a fleeting moment he would throw the keys in the bushes but controlled himself as he is a damn site more considerate then the idiots with the tent.

Sunday 26th August 2012

Even though I had another awful night I am feeling a bit brighter today. I sat outside for a little while in the sunshine. The voice hasn’t returned. A lovely lady in the park, also named Pam, brought me some home made chicken soup which was delicious.

Monday 27th August 2012

I stayed in bed all day and Pete Mate played nurse.

Tuesday 28th August 2012

Our day was pretty much a repeat of yesterday. Late afternoon there was a knock on the door and a very kind neighbour had brought over two roast pork dinners for us. People here are so kind; we have had lots of offers of help, flowers left on the table outside, things to ease the cough and an offer of some brandy.

Wednesday 29th August 2012

I think I have done enough lolling about so I got up and sat outside in the sunshine for a while. We went into the village to buy some cough mixture as Pete Mate is now coughing for Australia.

Thursday 30th August 2012

The cough mixture had no effect whatsoever and Pete Mate was awake most of the night coughing so therefore I got very little sleep. I am a lot better now, just so weary; I guess from lack of sleep. We went off to the doctor’s to get PM checked out, he then had to have a blood test followed by X-rays in Yeppoon. We had one or two things to do in Yeppoon which we had put off due to sickness. We did those and then headed home where we once again had a lie down.

Friday 31st August 2012

Thai Restaurant

We are both feeling heaps better today so spent most of the day sitting outside reading.

In the evening we enjoyed a lovely meal at the Thai restaurant in the village. The food was scrumptious and it was nice being just the two of us for a change.

Cheers from Pam. Hold on, whose glass is she holding? My God, it's not safe to take your eyes off her for a second!

Oh, oh! Profuse apologies to Pam. She's not holding the glass, I am.