Victoria ~ April 2013 

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try

Monday 1st April 2013

We went for a walk into town and paid a visit to Harvey Norman’s because Pete Mate had some computer questions for them. We found a very nice young man who answered all questions with a smile even though he knew he wasn’t going to make a sale. Once home Pete Mate was, of course, back on the computer Then his transformer ran hot and started smoking. We often go out and leave the computers plugged in, so we were lucky we were home. A lesson learnt.

We packed everything away ready for the move tomorrow.

Tuesday April 2nd 2013

We were away from Wangaratta just after 10.00am and made our way to Porepunkah, not far to go today. On arrival we received a warm welcome by Sharon and the new owner Jenny.

We expected to collect some rather important mail - Pete Mate’s medication. It hadn’t arrived. Normally it would not have mattered but somehow we made a mistake and he had totally run out. We set up camp and then I dashed off to the post office to see if it was there. No such luck. We then realised that as the parcel was addressed to us care of the caravan park we couldn’t collect it anyway. Jenny then went into Bright to see if it was there, no luck again. There was nothing else for it but to get in the car and drive to the medical centre for an emergency appointment. They gave us one but we had to wait an hour so we went for a coffee and a look at the river. We left the doctor’s with script in hand and walked through the town to the pharmacy, waited twenty minutes and were told they had run out and wouldn’t have any until late tomorrow. They did however phone the next town to see if they had any which they did so we walked back to the car and drove 35 minutes to Myrtleford. Thankfully they had the tablets and we drove home very relieved.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch so to speak, our parcel had arrived via courier at Porepunkah Post Office. They notified Jenny who collected it for us and then tried ringing us. Where was our phone? In the caravan of course. When Jenny couldn’t get hold of us by phone she went into Bright to look for us. We reckon this is beyond kindness and certainly above and beyond the duties of a caravan park owner.

Wednesday April 3rd 2013

We had a total rest day today; we were so tired after yesterday.

Thursday April 4th 2013

We went for a walk along the river, the same circuit we have done many times in previous years. The river, sadly, is muddy due to floods and fires upstream; hopefully it will have cleared before we leave. As we walked we had keep moving to one side of the track to let the cyclists through they were all very pleasant and thanked us. It is so nice to see families out and about enjoying the fresh air.

Friday April 5th April 2013

We drove into town, parked up and then walked through the town - we need the exercise. We were pleasantly surprised to see a few nice changes. There is a sculpture outside the library and water bottle refilling station for people using the rail trail, new signs and gardens. This all adds to improve a beautiful town. I called in at the library and picked up a couple of books before we headed back down the street to the supermarket. Later I sat outside reading whilst Pete Mate worked on the website.

Saturday April 6th 2013

We went for a walk in the morning. At the beginning of our walk we have to cross a suspension bridge. I do not like bridges that swing about and walk across with my heart in my mouth every time. Today however I endured an added trauma! Not one dog but three on the narrow bridge. When they left the bridge I ventured forth; they followed me on. To say I was less than impressed is an understatement. We did enjoy our walk and once home again we enjoyed our coffee even more. Later I read sitting outside in the beautiful sunshine whilst Pete Mate did some more web site work.

Sunday April 7th 2013

We walked our usual circuit but today we decided to do it reverse. The last part was through a small woodland area and I found it tougher coming the other way. So much so it took us longer to complete the circuit. In the afternoon we went to the Bright Brewery to listen to the free music. Usually the music is top notch but somehow today it just didn’t work. Musicians forgot their words, the sound system wasn’t crash hot, a guitar string broke and one chap even stopped singing half way through his song to answer his phone. When we arrived the sun was shining as it had been all day but very quickly clouds moved in and it was evident a storm was brewing. It then started to pour down and we quickly made our retreat as we had to get home to close the roof hatch we had left open. We very rarely open these hatches let alone go out and leave one open, the one and only time we do it rains. Murphy is alive and well.

Monday 8th April 2013

It poured with rain in the morning, so much so the awning was sagging. Pete Mate fixed it and in doing so wet everything in the nearby vicinity including himself. It brighten up in the afternoon but was not the nicest of days for sitting outside.

Tuesday 9th April 2013

Off we go again to the doctor’s, for me this time. I have a persistent problem. No, not Pete Mate, he is too lovely to be a problem. Actually I have two, one was dealt with using some more antibiotics because I apparently wasn’t allergic to them as I thought, but I had a virus. That is what the good doctor said. When we went to the Air Show at the beginning of March my arms were badly sunburnt. One recovered nicely but the right one has driven me mad ever since. The doctor didn’t know what it was but wasn’t about to guess no he Googled it! He discovered it is Solar Dermatitis and gave me a script for some cream. After the first application, the rash was soothed so I am hoping for great things here. The picture below was sent to me by a ‘friend’. Do my friends know me well, I ask myself?

Glasses apron

Wednesday 10th April 2013

We set off for our usual walk but once we cleared the woodland Pete Mate decided he would do the longer walk into Bright. It was quite funny saying goodbye, anyone would have thought we weren’t ever going to see each other again. I did the usual circuit without any dramas. I missed doing pooh sticks from the bridge with Pete Mate but as he keeps winning maybe it is as well. Once home I made a drink and sat in the sunshine doing my crossword until it was time for me to collect Pete Mate. Later I did some more knitting sitting outside in this glorious weather. Pete Mate did some computer work before joining me.

Thursday 11th April 2013

Pete Mate took his camera with him for his walk, again he went in a different direction to me, maybe he is trying to tell me something. I was home long before Pete Mate and was beginning to get really worried then he arrived home pretty pooped. His walk hadn’t really worked out the way he had wanted and he ended up walking further than he first thought. The rest of the day was pretty much the same as yesterday afternoon. It is so lovely to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful scenery and fresh air. Then about 5ish someone somewhere in park lit a camp fire and all you can smell and taste is wood smoke. Luckily for us we have red wine to wash away the effects.

Friday 12th April 2013

Another doctors appointment, there must be an easier way of catching up on all the Hollywood gossip than spending time in waiting rooms reading magazines that one would never buy. We then did a few things in town before heading home, and I returned to my book.

Saturday 13th April 2013

Not a lot happened here today I did however finish my book, it was one of those you just can’t put down.

Sunday 14th April 2013

We went for a walk into the village. I wonder if there is a skill to playing Pooh Sticks or is it just luck because Pete Mate keeps winning. I returned home and Pete Mate walked into Bright where I joined him much later for the music at the Bright Brewery. The music was excellent one of the best acts we have seen in Bright. We were just about ready to leave when we had the encounter with Karen and Joe. As PM has put the details on Page 177 of this site I won’t repeat it here. I will say though, it was lovely to meet them and we are truly amazed how these things happen. I know I have said it before but the best part of travelling is the lovely people we meet.

Monday 15th April 2013

A day of knitting, reading and chatting. The weather was not the nicest, even when it wasn’t raining it was quite cold.

Tuesday 16th April 2013

I went for my usual walk and was thrilled to see how the trees have started to change colour almost overnight; some of them are so vibrant. It is beautiful to see so many leaf colours together.

I wandered back to the ‘van to find Pete Mate drilling holes in something. It turned out to be a base for the flagpole. As soon as he finished the flag was hoisted up the pole. I would like to say it was flying high but the breeze had died and it was a little limp.

PM then changed the anode in the hot water system; he is a busy little bee today. I read and knitted.

Wednesday 17th April 2013

It was a cloudy day and quite cool, just the right weather for walking. We walked my usual circuit and then Pete Mate continued to do a much longer walk. Apart from our usual hobbies that was us for the day.

Thursday 18th April 2013

I had a really enjoyable morning; I drove into Bright to do some shopping and some major browsing. Pete Mate walked in and we met up later in the supermarket - very romantic! Back at the caravan I sat outside for a little while but it soon became cold and I and my knitting retreated indoors.

Friday 19th April 2013

It was a knitting and reading sort of day.

Saturday 20th April 2013

I really enjoyed my walk this morning, Pete Mate and I again played Pooh sticks and again he won. If our Pooh sticks get any bigger we will need a crane to lift them into the river.

Sunday 21st April 2013

I went for my walk which was again very enjoyable; I bumped into the 'boy doctor' from Bright. Why is it doctors these days generally look like they have just left school? Pete Mate walked into Bright and I joined him later for the music at the Brewery which was good. We met some more lovely people, Mick and Maureen who were from Ballarat. I nearly forgot to say: When I parked the car and was walking up the road to join Pete Mate, who should I bump into again but the 'boy doctor'. Do you think he is stalking me?

Monday 22nd April 2013

The weather was miserable and wet but we were warm and snug inside the ’van. It was a perfect day for reading or watching a DVD. I made some really yummy soup and before I could get it all into the freezer I dropped a bowl. It is surprising how far and wide one bowl of soup can go.

Tuesday 23rd April 2013

Today, weather and activity wise, was pretty much the same as yesterday.

Wednesday 24th April 2013

I drove into Bright to do a few things and Pete Mate walked in. We met up at the coffee shop.

Thursday 25th April 2013

ANZAC Day. We attended the parade and service in Bright. It was excellent, much better organised than last year. We had skipped breakfast as we decided we would have brunch instead. By the time we got to the café it was nearer lunchtime and we were one minute too late for breakfast. We were a little miffed as we had looked forward to some bacon and eggs. We made do with a toasted sandwich; I reckon if you have to search your sandwich for the cheese there is not enough there!

Friday 26th April 2013

I did some cooking for the freezer and then got right back to my book. I am thinking of starting a new business (see picture). What do you think?


Saturday 27th April 2013

We decided to drive into town and do the Cherry Walk. The sign said 3kms and it would take one and a half hours. We followed the signs and in half an hour were back where we started. We queried this at the information centre and were told we had taken a wrong turning and had not completed the walk so we will have another attempt another day and this time ignore the signs.

Sunday 28th April 2013

We went to the Brewery for the free music and a couple of drinks. The music was pretty ordinary but it was still a nice way of whiling away a Sunday afternoon.

Monday 29th April 2013

It is again raining and oh so cold. We attended another history lecture by Ian Stapleton; he is so good and has a remarkable memory. Once again we were given an insight into the lives of some long deceased pioneers, men and women who helped to develop this beautiful area.

Tuesday 30th April 2013

I went for my usual short walk and was happy to see the Ovens River has at last become a lot clearer, the dirty brown look it had when we arrived has all but disappeared.

And that's another April gone forever and another brand new May waiting.