From strength to strength ~ August 2014

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Friday 1st August 2014

It was a quiet day and in the evening we went to the Bowling Club with Rhonda and John. It was really a pleasant change just being four instead of a huge crowd, plus ... I won the meat tray.

Saturday 2nd August 2014

In the morning Peter pushed me over to the CWA hall in the village for the Multi Draw raffles and morning tea. Susan once more brought me home. I won two prizes one of which was a pink rabbit torch which I have passed on. The other prize was covered coat hangers - always handy. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong with Helen and Susan. Later we went with a few others to the Kinka Kippa for tea. Wayne sang for us for about three hours, it was a very pleasant evening.

Sunday 3rd August 2014

We were amongst 50 odd people that boarded two buses and were taken to the Ferns for lunch and the music. We all had a great day and I even had a sort of dance using the crutches. As per usual Pete Mate and I ate and drank too much, nothing new there. Terry, who is a regular visitor to the park, organised the day and did really well as everything went like clockwork.

Monday 4th August 2014

We went into Yeppoon to do some shopping and have lunch. It was the first time since my operation that we shopped without the wheel chair. I was really very tired by the time I got home.

Tuesday 5th August 2014

Peter took me into the village in the wheel chair so I could have a much needed hair cut. On the way we were told about a large python basking in the sun. As soon as PM had delivered me he went home for the camera to take photos. The poor snake was inundated with visitors when all it wanted to do was sleep. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong with Helen and Susan.

Wednesday 6th August 2014

I enjoyed a rest day reading and knitting and watching TV. Pete Mate worked on the computer as well as doing his chores. In the evening we went up to the pub for dinner and to play trivia. For the first time this year we won and have a voucher to prove it. Each Wednesday the local rugby club raffle two meat trays, Suzanne once again won one of them. That lady is so lucky. Suzanne suggested we all enjoy her winning spoils by having a barbecue tomorrow after happy hour. Our contribution will be some apple pies for dessert which I will buy from the bakery. I would not inflict my baking on my friends.

Thursday 7th August 2014

Pete Mate took me to the CWA hall for my usual card-making class. On the way we saw, as did many others, a snake lying along the top of a fence - we were not sure if it was the same one from the other day. I was abandoned by PM while he raced back for his camera. I eventually arrived at the hall and spent the morning making a Christmas ball decoration. When Pete Mate collected me and before we went to the café for lunch, I went to the bakery to buy the apple pies. They had to bake some and as they wouldn’t be ready for a few hours they delivered them to our door in the park. Now that is service! After lunch PM pushed me up to the RSL to play Mah Jong. It was a good afternoon and Helen was the winner on our table. Susan, as usual, pushed me home. We had a happy hour and then we enjoyed a lovely barbecue with friends using the meat from the raffle win. We also had to say farewell to Judy and Paul which was a bit sad as they are lovely people.

Friday 8th August 2014

It was a coolish sort of day but we did get the washing dry. Pete Mate worked on the light fitting for the memorial plaque he has organised in memory of our dear friend Jim. Jim was manager here for years. I did some work on the caravan park books and then did some more of my jigsaw. We went over to happy hour but it was a bit windy and many were cold. We all decided to give the Bowling Club a miss tonight as this next week we have many meals out happening.

Saturday 9th August 2014

We went over to Jock’s motor home for morning tea. Cathy and Phil joined us. It was a very pleasant time and we all agreed we should do it more often. We then went into the village for a few things then had lunch before returning home. Later I played Mah Jong with Helen and Susan. As it was the last time this year we would be playing with Helen, I did an afternoon tea for them. It was a lovely afternoon. I skipped happy hour and had a chat on Skype with my two sisters.

Sunday 10th August 2014

I did some book work for the park, cooked a new recipe and enjoyed a very pleasant happy hour. I phoned our friend Pat in Perth who celebrated her birthday today as did our friend Cathy, here in the park.

Monday 11th August 2014

Our trivia team went up to the pub for lunch to spend our winnings. We all enjoyed a lovely lunch and a few drinks. Later I went with Helen to our friend Robyn's for a short happy hour. Saying goodbye to Helen until next year was sad. We will miss her.

Tuesday 12th August 2014

I worked on the park accounts and Pete Mate finished off the lighting for Jim's memorial plaque. I played Mah Jong in the afternoon with Susan and Marion. We then went to happy hour which was very pleasant.

Wednesday 13th August 2014

It was the Leo Girls lunch out today. There are six of us that have a birthday around the same time and we all celebrated last year and decided to do the same again but in a different restaurant. It was a lovely lunch and then it was back to the park for cake and champagne. The celebrations continued with cocktails and red wine. It was quite a day.

Thursday 14th August 2014

Today is my birthday. I went to card making in the morning and then when Pete Mate collected me we drove out to a café at Rosslyn Bay marina. The meal was overpriced and not very nice so we will not be back there again. I was very spoilt with cards, emails, phone calls and presents making me feel very loved and special. Later we enjoyed a very nice happy hour with friends and lots of nibbles. It was overall a very good day.

Friday 15th August 2014

Apart from a visit to the doctor’s we did little else. The weather was wet and cold but we still managed to attend happy hour. It was a small group and very pleasant it was too.

Saturday 16th August 2014

Pete Mate had to drive into Rocky to source something for the memorial plaque whilst I did a lot of resting before our night out at the 'Backpackers' here in Emu Park. The evening was a very pleasant one. Paul, the owner of the Backpackers, drove his bus down to the park to collect a group of us. The place was decorated with yellow balloons and crepe daffodils as the event was a fund raiser for Daffodil Day. We enjoyed the music, the wine, the food and the company. Then the bus brought us all home at a not too late hour which suits me.

Sunday 17th August 2014

It was a very nice relaxing day of reading, knitting and watching some television. The sun has returned after a couple of days of rain so all the washing got dry. Happy Hour was very pleasant though a smaller crowd than usual.

Monday 18th August 2014

Pete Mate was busy with Stretch drilling holes in the stone for the memorial plaque. I did a couple of chores and then spent some time knitting. A group of us went to Degani’s for afternoon tea to celebrate Sue’s birthday. It was a very pleasant time. Later we went to happy hour which once again turned out to be a long one.

Tuesday 19th August 2014

The day has finally arrived – Jim’s memorial plaque unveiling. All the work and angst that was involved, the ideas that were run with or the ones that were shelved. Well it all came together and the official part of the ceremony went really well. Peter Mate did his speech and was wonderful, everyone said how well he spoke and he got a few laughs. Sue did the unveiling and then it was time to drink, eat and be merry. It was a really good night – yes we did it in Jim style. Rest in peace our dear friend.

Wednesday 20th August 2014

It was a rest day today which turned out to be a good decision as I took a tumble on the way back from the loo. Luckily friend Diane was walking with me and helped me a lot. Then somehow with the help of a couple of men she got me back on my feet. I wasn't badly hurt, just shaken with a few new bruises and a dented pride.

Thursday 21st August 2014

Pete Mate dropped me off at card making for the morning. He later met me in the café for lunch before we headed off to Rocky. We returned the wheel chair which was a good feeling. We then did some shopping before attending a late afternoon Dr’s appointment for Pete Mate. He was in there for so long I thought he and the doctor had dozed off. Anyway eventually he emerged and all is well. We arrived home much too late for happy hour.

Friday 22nd August 2014

The day just seemed to fly by. We ate lunch at our favourite café and did some supermarket shopping. I did some crosswords and knitting and then before we knew it, it was time for happy hour. After happy hour a group of us went up to the bowling club for tea. It was a good night a lot of laughs and good food and wine.

Saturday 23rd August 2014

We enjoyed a lovely lunch at the pub with some friends. It was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours, not only did we have good food, wine and company but the views of the ocean and islands were superb. We wandered down to the café for coffees before heading home for a rest before happy hour. It was a pleasant happy hour and once more a long one.

Sunday 24th August 2014

I enjoyed a nice relaxing day doing my crosswords and knitting. Pete Mate spent all day working on the Bell Park web site. In the evening during happy hour we enjoyed some curried sausages cooked up by Steve and Terry. A couple of others did the rice and Cathy and I provided the apple pies for dessert which were topped very nicely with the custard and cream donated by Suzanne. As you can gather, it was a joint effort and a top night. Having never eaten curried sausages before and wasn’t sure what to expect I was pleasantly surprised. It was another top night here at Emu Park. Only fly in the ointment was saying goodbye to our lovely friends Suzanne and Leigh.

Monday 25th August 2014

I was busy for most of the day working on the park accounts. It was a very pleasant happy hour until we once again had to say our goodbyes. Pete Mate had to say goodbye to his girlfriend Gail until next year.

Tuesday 26th August 2014

I was collected by Ann and Robyn and we three went to see friend Nancy who has had a hip operation. It was a lovely morning tea and time to chat. Later I walked without crutches and am finding getting around so much better now. Happy hour was once again pleasant apart from having to say some more goodbyes.

Wednesday 27th August 2014

I have now totally discarded the crutches and am a lot more mobile. I did a few chores and some reading. Pete Mate worked on the Bell Park website.

Thursday 28th August 2014

Pete Mate dropped me off at the CWA for card making. Later I met him in the café for lunch and then he took me to the RSL to play Mah Jong. I did really well and was the table winner but overall I am not sure where I came. Pete Mate collected me and then once home it was time for happy hour. I delivered Phil’s crutches back to him with a big thank you. Happy hour again ended with having to say good bye to some more lovely people.

Friday 29th August 2014

We had a busy day today, shopping in Yeppoon. Once home Pete Mate went straight on the computer to source a new battery for our wifi. I gave the ankle a good rest. We went to happy hour and then a few of us went to the Bowling Club for tea. It was a very pleasant evening and I won one of the raffles, a bottle of wine.

Saturday 30th August 2014

Today was a rest day - or supposed to be - but by the time I had done a few chores and some cooking there wasn’t much of the day left to rest. I did enjoy some time reading, sitting outside in the sunshine. I had a long and enjoyable session on Skype with my family.

Sunday 31st August 2014

After breakfast we went up to the Bowling Club where a memorial day for our friend Jim was taking place. The local pub organised it and they did well. The morning of bowling went well and then it was back to the pub for the presentation, lunch and raffles. It was a great day and Jim would have enjoyed every minute of it. Plus I won one of the raffles. What a perfect way to end a month and the winter season. Roll on spring.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page