Tamworth and on south ~ November 2014

What you don't see with your eyes, don't invent with your mouth. Yiddish proverb

Saturday 1st November 2014

We left Killarney around 9.30 am and had a reasonable run through to Glen Innes. We had a break after a couple of hours driving and I, for some reason,decided to check out our destination caravan park on Wikicamps. I discovered the park had closed so out came the computer and a new destination was sourced. We arrived mid afternoon at Glen Innes as we had lost an hour when we crossed the border into N.S.W. The park was small and the staff friendly but only really adequate for one night.

Sunday 2nd November 2014

We were late leaving Glen Innes but still arrived at Tamworth in time for lunch. We took our time setting up and then went over to our lovely friends, Tarranne and Neil’s place, for happy hour.

Monday 3rd November 2014

We went into town to do a few things. First was my blood test followed by Billy being booked in for a service. We then went to the shopping mall where we started with lunch and I went in search of pipe cleaners. I haven’t taken up smoking, I need them for a craft thing I am doing. No shop sold them but a lovely lady suggested Spotlight. Now, that will be a hardship visiting there, won’t it? Later Tarranne and Neil came over for happy hour bringing a surprise visitor with them - our wonderful friend Ros. It was so lovely to be with wonderful people.

Tuesday 4th November 2014

We enjoyed a pleasant afternoon with friends Judy and Paul whom we had met at Emu Park this year. We are always humbled by the hospitality shown to us by people we have met along the way. We later enjoyed another relaxing happy hour with Tarranne and Neil.

Wednesday 5th November 2014

We met two friends, Ben and Ros, for lunch in town which was lovely. Ben made us laugh so much when telling us about the building of his new house and all the run-ins he has had with the builder. Nothing gets past Ben, believe me. After lunch they went back to work and we went in search of a new battery for the caravan. The wallet is still in shock!

Thursday 6th November 2014

A quiet day for me, reading and knitting. Pete Mate took Billy into town for a transmission service. In the evening we went to the Oasis pub for dinner. As it is within walking distance we could have a drink or two and we did. We met up with friends Leonie and Alan, Wendy, Carolyn and her charming mum, Crystal. It was a really enjoyable evening with good food, wine, superb music and excellent company.

Friday 7th November 2014

We enjoyed a fabulous day out at friends, Roslyn and Allan’s farm. It is quite a way out of Tamworth, about 100kms in fact. We enjoyed a beautiful lunch prepared by Ros and again more excellent company. We cannot get over that Ros drives to work in Tamworth and home again at least three times a week.

Saturday 8th November 2014

We spent the day cleaning and packing away. Pete Mate and I have been quite lax in our cleaning of the ‘van since my operation but we certainly made up for it today. We hooked up the ‘van ready for the off tomorrow and then we moved into a better position, all done without a problem. We must be getting better at this caravanning lark.

Sunday 9th November 2014


We left Tamworth early. Well, early for us. We had a good run through to Gilgandra but were surprised at how many trucks were on the road on a Sunday. When we first set out 10 years ago we hardly encountered a truck at all. As they were mainly going in the opposite direction to us they didn’t worry us. We set up camp fairly quickly as it was only a one night stay. It was very hot but luckily it cooled down for a good night’s sleep.

Monday 10th November 2014

Again we enjoyed another good day’s travelling, this time to Forbes where we spent one night. We stayed in a very nice little park that I found on Wikicamps. I had to renew our Big 4 membership and our reward for doing that was a free newspaper. I read it in less than five minutes and was reminded why I don’t buy newspapers; it was just rubbish.

We arrived at our site which looked easy enough to get into but as we seem to have changed roles and Pete Mate does the reversing and I give directions we made a hash of it. Then Pete Mate decided to do it without my instructions and he did it perfectly first time. In future I will go for a walk.

Tuesday 11th November 2014

For the first time in the years we have been travelling we missed the Remembrance Day service. We miscalculated our travel itinery so we found ourselves travelling instead of being somewhere. We did have a good run through to Temora and once we had set up I took the car and visited the cenotaph to lay the poppies I had made - see right. It was quite emotional for me but then it always is. I then had to pick up some essential supplies – wine. We are very happy to be back in Temora as we love it here. It is also nice to have a few days to relax and enjoy the planes and the country music.

Wednesday 12th November 2014

Pete Mate was treated to a fine aerobatic display not once but twice. I watched for a short while then went off to do other things. We sat outside for a while reading until it got too hot and then we retreated inside and put the air conditioner on. A very nice relaxing day.

Thursday 13th November 2014

We went into town to collect some mail and do some shopping. The lovely ladies in the Post Office remembered me which was rather special. That's not what Pete Mate said, Once seen never forgotten!

Once the shopping was done we were back to the air conditioning of the caravan, summer is on its way.

Friday 14th November 2014

What a week Pete Mate is having, exciting aerobatics on Wednesday, the joy of shopping on Thursday and the superb Sabre on Friday. What more can a plane enthusiast ask for? I enjoyed reading and knitting, more sedate pastimes.

The wind was diabolical today; the awning was taken in but the washing line blew over, however the washing survived. Thankfully the wind dropped during the evening.

Saturday 15th November 2014

The day was cloudy and the forecast for no rain until tomorrow could be wrong, looking at some of the clouds. I mentioned yesterday that the wind dropped during the evening; it did, but around 2.00am we were woken by a mini tornado that shook everything. Pete Mate was up again securing windows and skylights. I say 'again' because this is the third night in a row that something has happened around 2.00am. The first night the radio switched itself on, then the following night the power switched itself off. Strange happenings are afoot.

We went to the Aircraft Showcase day and I have to say I went with reluctant feet as I am a bit over planes and did not feel the best. Anyway, as so often happens, I enjoyed the day very much and to see the mighty Spitfire both on the ground and flying was well worth the effort. I also enjoyed the Dragonfly display, it was very impressive. Throughout the day the rain tried to spoil everything but after a few feeble drops it disappeared for a while and then repeated the process. Once the last plane had finished its display the heavens opened and we were treated to torrential rain. Luckily for us we made it home before it got too bad.

Sunday 16th November 2014

The rain eased during the day but the wind is back with vengeance. We had to take the awning in once more. As very often happens here, the awning is in and out on a regular basis. After enduring 41 degrees on Friday and the poor air conditioner going flat out all day, we are now so cold we have had to switch the heater on. What is next, snow?

Monday 17th November 2014

We awoke to beautiful sunshine and just a gentle breeze. I had a busy day sorting through a few things and finding where I had put the Christmas cards I had bought in last January’s sales. Later I sat outside knitting and then, before I knew it, it was happy hour. We were invited to join our neighbours which was very pleasant indeed.

Tuesday 18th November 2014

We went into town to collect the mail and have a coffee.

Wednesday 19th November 2014

I did a lot of things on my ‘to do list’ including starting to write our Christmas cards. It was a very satisfying day.

Thursday 20th November 2014

We spent the day in town as we had a lot of things to do. On the list was to take the memory stick to the library to print off some documents. Whilst I was in the first shop I remembered I had left the memory stick on the table. Home we went again and just by chance we were in time for Pete Mate to see a jet plane take off. How jammy is that? Once the aircraft was safely in the sky we resumed our tasks for the day. We arrived home with enough time to put everything away before happy hour began.

Friday 21st November 2014

At last the day we have been waiting for all week, the start of the Country Music Festival. We took our chairs and drove to the showgrounds. We struggled to find any indication that anything was happening let alone a festival. I then spied a few people sitting on chairs all facing the same way. We parked where we thought we could, again no indication of where to go. Pete Mate set up the chairs whilst I went in search of someone to pay. I was told I must have come through the wrong gate.

The organisation of the whole event was a shambles and some of the singers that got up on the stage had more nerve than talent. There were one or two who were quite good which made up for the others. One lady recited poems she had written and as the poor woman suffers from asthma it was hard to hear her, especially when other performers stood at the back talking. A few loud shushes from a few of us soon brought them into line. I enjoyed her poetry so much I bought one of her books.

By 4.30pm we had had enough of the whole thing, there wasn’t the atmosphere that you usually get at a festival. We needed wine so we left.

Saturday 22nd November 2014

We decided to call a committee meeting with the result that a motion was passed unanimously that we would give the music festival a miss today and go tomorrow. The standard of music we heard yesterday was certainly not worth $20 each. We kept ourselves busy reading and playing computers. We had a short trip into town to look at buying a present but came home empty handed.

Sunday 23rd November 2014

The day dawned hot and as it was going to get hotter we decided to give the music a miss and pack up our things and hook the car up early. We had everything done before breakfast and then the idea was to relax in the cool of the ‘van. It was so hot the air conditioner really worked very hard but cool we were not. The winds were so strong the caravan rocked with every gust, ideal conditions for a bush fire.

Pete Mate braved the heat and wind to take photos of three water bombers; we had heard them coming and going quite a bit. Later, watching the news, we saw Parkes had bush fires and also an explosion so we assumed that is where the planes were dropping their loads.

Monday 24th November 2014

The wind has dropped and so has the temperature, thank goodness. We left Temora around 10.15am and had a good run through to Goulburn where we received a warm welcome.

The weather keeps threatening to rain, achieves it for a short while and then disappears again. Once we had set up camp we sat outside with a drink and relaxed. We enjoyed a lovely happy hour with Karen and Peter. After dinner we settled down for the night then all hell let loose and the wind was like a tornado and the rain lashed down.

Poor ole Pete Mate, who had fallen asleep, had to dash out and battle to tame the awning in the rain, struggling to get it in during any lull and just hanging on to it when the wind returned. I did offer to help but he said there wasn’t anything I could do. It just shows you how everything can change in the blink of an eye.

Tuesday 25th November 2014

We spent a nice quiet relaxing day here in sunny Goulburn. The weather is perfect and we decided after the heat of Temora we would never complain about being cold again. I spent some time trying to remember how to make a Christmas Ball; eventually I achieved it and was pleased with the results.

Wednesday 26th November 2014

We went into town to the doctors for Pete Mate. After waiting for just over an hour we were seen by a doctor who could not have been less interested in us if he tried. Another doctor will be sourced. We did one or two other things and then returned home where I sat outside and read.

Thursday 27th November 2014

We didn’t do a lot today, just read and played computers. In the evening we again enjoyed another very pleasant happy hour with Karen and Peter.

Friday 28th November 2014

We went into town to do quite a few things and some shopping. I now have my Christmas present, a Fitbit. This will monitor my steps and activities. Once home we just had enough time to put everything away before it was time for Happy Hour.

Saturday 29th November 2014

I woke up feeling full of energy so I started cleaning this caravan which really does need it. I had just finished washing the floor when we saw a familiar face. Our lovely friends Suzanne and Leigh had come to Goulburn with their fifth wheeler and surprised us. It was lovely to see them and we sat around chatting for ages. The wine flowed and a good time was had by all.

Sunday 30th November 2014

We awoke this morning in a state of being under the weather. I did, however, make myself do my walk and pedalling. As the day progressed we felt better. I had a massive cook-fest and tried out some new recipes. I just love the camp kitchen here, it is like cooking in your own kitchen, much more room than a caravan.

We went to happy hour at Karen and Peter’s and Suzanne and Leigh joined us when they arrived back from their Sydney lunch date. It was a long happy hour which involved trying all different liqueurs and eating plenty of nibbles. I did not feel the best when we left to go home. It was, however, a lovely evening and sharing with such lovely people is always good.

And that was November 2014. Been, gone, now history.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page