Back in Emu Park ~ June 2015

Be bold enough to live life on your own terms and never ever apologise for it.

Monday 1st June 2015

I did some washing and cleaning and then we took a stroll into the village. A couple of things have changed but overall everything remains the same. Later I sat outside in the lovely sunshine and read and knitted. We went over to happy hour which was very pleasant indeed.

Tuesday 2nd June 2015

Some more washing and cleaning was done and then I sat outside reading. Later we went over to happy hour and again enjoyed a very pleasant hour.

Wednesday 3rd June 2015

After having a really bad night, not a lot happened in the morning. In the afternoon I went to see the doctor about the hip pain that caused the bad night. Dr Beth gave me a script for strong pain killers plus a form to have blood squeezed out of me and some X-rays done. Before going home we had a quick look at the new RSL Memorial Walk and then did some shopping.

Thursday 4th June 2015

I went off to card-making in the morning and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I then went to have my blood test; I told the girl she needed to use my hand, but no, she insisted on using my arm without success. I went home and had some lunch, then Pete Mate took me into Yeppoon for the X-rays and another attempt at a blood test. All went extremely well and my hand doesn’t even bear a bruise which I can't say about my arm. On the way home we called in at the information centre as I wanted to check out a couple of things in my role as Tour Director. Pete Mate fixed a bedside light for me which is wonderful. Later we went to happy hour and again enjoyed a pleasant time.

Friday 5th June 2015

What a really terrible night! I took the first of the pain killers and they didn’t agree with me. I had the most horrendous stomach pains and my dinner parted company with my stomach. Pete Mate was, as he always is at times like this, marvellous and looked after me well. In the morning I felt somewhat better but decided not to go into Rocky as planned and Pete Mate went on his own. He returned about lunchtime. Nothing has changed with the air bags but he does have a quote for other work to be done on Billy. Late afternoon I began to feel human again but gave happy hour a miss.

Saturday 6th June 2015

I awoke this morning feeling pretty good. I did some chores and then sat down and spent a couple of hours doing some work on the computer. Later we went over to happy hour and greeted some more lovely friends that had just arrived.

Sunday 7th June 2015

It was the sort of day where I felt like doing nothing except read and that is what I did. It was touch and go for a while whether I would actually get dressed. I did because turning up at Happy Hour in my nightie would not have been a good look. Thank goodness I made the effort because we were entertained by a very talented family group called "The Family Tree".

The Family Tree
There was Mum (Amy) and Dad (Rob), two daughters (Molly and Charlie) and a son (Joel).
It was an excellent performance and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Monday 8th June 2015

We had to go into the village for a couple of things from the supermarket so we decided to do the new RSL Memorial boardwalk as well. This project is amazing, it has been done so well and whoever designed it has put a lot of thought into it. Apparently this is only Stage 1 so when it is all finally finished it will certainly have the WOW factor.

The Boardwalk
I would like to go again, next time without the wind nearly blowing us off our feet.
Happy Hour was a little chilly tonight.

Tuesday 9th June 2015

I spent a lot of time today working on the computer doing some figures for a friend. Pete Mate was working on the web site. Later we enjoyed another great happy hour with The Family Tree entertaining us. They are so good we could have listened to them all night. They are travelling around Australia and sing in the caravan parks they stay in. If you are caravanning keep a look out for them, you will not be disappointed.

Wednesday 10th June 2015

I did the shopping whilst Pete Mate walked the boardwalk again. It is still windy and I would like to do it again when this wind has dropped.

Happy Hour was good again, there are some very nice people in the park right now.

Thursday 11th June 2015

I celebrated today as it was one year to the day when I had my ankle operation. All the pain, fuss and difficulties seem in the long distant past and I am very happy to say I am feeling great. I walked to card-making and enjoyed a very pleasant couple of hours making cards.

Later I sorted out one or two things for the sausage sizzle on Monday. I did some reading in the afternoon and have decided the book I am reading is not worth the bother.

We were pleasantly surprised to see Ann & John, a really beautiful couple and Ann is a great artist. They, like many, were incredibly kind to me last year when I needed lots of support. They are only staying one night as they on their way back to Bowen with a new boat. It amazes me how things work out. We were invited to the pub for dinner but declined; if we had gone we wouldn’t have spent a lovely half hour chatting, just the four of us. Life is good.

Friday 12th June 2015

A return trip to the doctor’s was on the agenda today. All the test results were good and the pain I am experiencing is just the osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Those I can manage. Just one more test to do and then that is me finished with doctors for this year.

I did some walking and some knitting and reading. Happy Hour was very pleasant apart from the wind and finally the rain finished us off and we all retreated back to our caravans.

Saturday 13th June 2015

I had a busy morning doing some cleaning. I did some more walking even though the weather was pretty awful. My knitting project has gone wrong so that needs some extra thought. I enjoyed a good session on Skype with my family and then went to happy hour. Pete Mate did some outside cleaning of the caravan and gave Billy a bit of a shock with a sponge and soapy water.

Sunday 14th June 2015

Enjoyed a lazy day of reading and knitting. I managed to rescue the knitted jacket and it is just about ready for some buttons. The rain poured down in the morning but by afternoon the sun was back and we had blue skies. Happy hour was once again very pleasant and not too cold.

Monday 15th June 2015

One year ago today our lovely friend Jim passed away and tonight we are holding a sausage sizzle in his memory. We had a busy day getting organised and collecting all the necessary things to make a successful evening. The evening went really well and there was a good turn out.

Sausage Sizzle
We make a nice sum of $113 for a donation to the cancer ward which cared for Jim. It was an excellent evening to remember a beautiful man.

Tuesday 16th June 2015

What a busy day I had. I had to wrap and freeze the left over sausages for another day. Get one or two things sorted out with the office. I did walkabout to see a few people and then I walked into the village and back as I wanted to buy a card. I was walking around the park with a teapot in hand trying to find Lorraine to see if she liked the tea cosy I had made her. All these steps I take are recorded on my FitBit. Eventually Lorraine was home and loved her tea cosy – phew. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong with a lovely couple staying in the park. It was a different version from what I was used to playing but I still enjoyed it. Happy hour was again very pleasant and we welcomed Gail and Jerzy back to the fold.

Wednesday 17th June 2015

I walked into the village and back before getting ready to go into Rocky. The main reason for our trip was for me to have a mammogram – not pleasant but as it is only every two years it isn’t too bad. That is what I thought before I went. The woman that did the mammogram obviously has no feeling whatsoever in her boobs because she sure gave mine a beating.

Once that was over we had a list of places to visit ending up in the shopping mall. I wanted some new sandals and shoes but I gave up on that after the assistant was bringing out shoes that were too small after he had measured my feet. We arrived home in time for happy hour which again was very pleasant.

Thursday 18th June 2015

After yesterday’s ordeal I am very sore; thanks again lady! Actually that is the ironic thing about these medical visits, they do awful things to you and then when you leave you say, Thank you. In the morning I went to card-making and thoroughly enjoyed myself; Thelma is a good teacher and a beautiful person. After card-making Pete Mate collected me and took me to Yeppoon for another medical appointment, this time an ultra sound of my hip. The girl was kind and apologetic but to do the job properly it hurt.

Once out of there we went supermarket shopping; well I did, Pete Mate sat in the car. Now I can walk properly I prefer to do the shopping myself. Pete Mate keeps an eye on the entrance and when he sees me, he comes to help with the trolley. He is happy and it works for me. Once home and the shopping put away I did a bit of a walkabout to see some people. Then it was the ironing and by the time I had finished that I was ready to sit down and chill out with my book. Before I knew it, it was happy hour. A different happy hour which ended well with just three of us left, Al, PM and me. That was very enjoyable.

Friday 19th June 2015

I had a terrible night with the pain in my hip keeping me awake. At 4.30 I gave up and got up. Therefore the day was a weary one but the pain slowly subsided during the day with the help of pain killers. It didn’t stop me doing what I wanted to do and I managed to get through my ‘to do’ list plus I walked over 10,000 steps. I welcomed my Mah Jong buddy Susan and her husband, Theo, back to the park. Happy Hour was a blessing as wine soothes the soul.

Saturday 20th June 2015

I enjoyed a much better day today and was quite busy. I did quite a lot here in the caravan in the morning then we walked into the village to do a couple of errands. I had to get a couple of things from IGA but Pete Mate was off up to the RSL Memorial again, he loves it. Once home I went walkabout and then managed to get a quick lunch before going with Susan to Don and Meredith’s to play Mah Jong. It was a good afternoon. Happy hour was pleasant and then it was home to a dinner of fresh prawns – yummy.

Sunday 21st June 2015

The weather is not the best again, the wind is quite cool. I walked to the markets and after a good look around I bought some fruit and veggies. I played Mah Jong in the afternoon with Susan. At happy hour we were entertained by a singer who was rather good.

Monday 22nd June 2015

We were up early and actually in Rocky by 8.00am. We had to leave Billy at the repair shop for the day. We walked to the shopping mall and did quite a bit of shopping. My best buy was some shoes, they are so comfortable and light and I loved them so much I brought two pairs. We then thought we had better curb our shopping as we had to carry everything back to the workshop. It was a good thing we did because poor Billy was not going to be ready today. We had to catch the bus home, an adventure for us as I cannot remember the last time we were on a bus. Once we found out where to catch the bus and what the drill was we sat back and enjoyed the journey. It turned out we on the school bus which takes a more direct route so we arrived home in good time for happy hour.

Tuesday 23rd June 2015

We both had doctor’s appointments in Yeppoon today so we ventured forth on the buses again. We are getting the hang of this now and are quite enjoying it. Pete Mate got his script renewal and I have to have a cortisone injection. We had no sooner arrived home when Pete Mate had to go on the bus again and collect Billy. I stayed home and played Mah Jong with Susan. Happy hour was very pleasant.

Wednesday 24th June 2015

I went for my walk early and it was most enjoyable. It was a perfect day and the ocean looked like a mill pond. I did some chores and then I took Billy into the village to do the shopping. Wednesday is pensioners discount day. I forgot to take the card but the young girl gave me the discount anyway. Not sure if that was a compliment or not! In the afternoon I sat outside and read for a while then it was time for happy hour; it is getting quite crowded.

Thursday 25th June 2015

I was organised early this morning as I went to card making. I made four cards and was pleased with the result. I was home for a short time before setting off for the RSL with Susan to play Mah Jong. We enjoyed a good afternoon playing with Daphne. Happy hour was pleasant but a little chilly and then the heavens opened and we got rather wet on the way home.

Friday 26th June 2015

What an amazing day we had. Pete Mate and I went for a helicopter flight over Bell Park and Rosslyn Bay - it was fantastic.

Coastline from 'copter
North along the coast, the soft sand being eroded into a succession of bays between rock outcrops. Photo: Pam.
Our pilot, Drew, was kind and considerate which also contributed to making the trip special. Our friends from Bell Park waved to us as we flew over, it was a little hard to see who they were but it was lovely to see. We both took lots of photos ...

Marina from 'copter
Up over the top and there was Rosslyn Marina. Photo: Pam.
... and I was happy with most of mine. Pete Mate as always is super critical of his. We loved it so much we are planning to do another trip over the islands.

Unknown bay from 'copter
An unknown bay with the tide going out. Photo: Pam.
Pete Mate dropped me off in the village to do some shopping whilst he went home to check his photos. He was a bit concerned because his camera was playing up a bit. I bumped into one or two people I know which always happens here at Emu Park. I made my hair and manicure appointments with some lovely ladies on the day and the time I wanted. I went to the library to do some printing and had a chat with the ladies of the knitting group and arranged to follow up a couple of charity knitting projects. Then I walked home with the shopping having one or two chats along the way.

In the afternoon I wandered about putting notices up in the amenities block for an event happening here in the park. Sue very kindly made me a cup of tea and before I knew it, it was time for happy hour. A tiring but excellent day.

Saturday 27th June 2015

Another busy day for me at Emu Park. I started the day with a walk which was particularly pleasant. The sun was shining and there was a cool breeze. I encountered two young men waiting at a bus stop, one was wearing a hoodie. We all know about those awful ruffians that wear hoodies. These two young men were friendly and very polite and a pleasure to chat to. I walked on up past the museum to get some information and then back through the village where the Men’s Shed weekly raffle tickets were being sold.

I enjoyed a long chat with the men there and they told me the wonderful story of the construction of Emu Park’s Men Shed. It was wonderful because of all the help they have had. They raise money by the raffles and because they do that they get some grants from the government, not a lot but it helps. The builder is giving his time for free and when they ordered the windows the window company supplied everything again for free. They said the support they have received has been amazing.

When I left there I walked to the boat ramp and along the little jetty and marvelled at the scenery; I never get tired of it. Then I walked back to the supermarket, picked a couple of things and walked back through the park.

After breakfast I did some domestic chores and then went walkabout to put up the rest of the notices. When you do walkabout in this park you get lots of rests because people chat to you which is lovely. I then raced off to Zilzie to collect the Guardian Angel knitting books, came home, had lunch and then played Mah Jong all afternoon. I enjoyed a short happy hour because I had some pork roasting in the oven and it needed attention. All in all a very good day.

Sunday 28th June 2015

I went for my early morning walk then once home did a few chores then went walkabout. Happy hour today was at some friends. We first met Tiger and Trish years ago when Tiger was the caravan park’s standby manager. They are a lovely couple and we like them very much. It was quite a crowd at their place we all got along well and had a really good time.

Monday 29th June 2015

The weather was cold and wet for most of the day. I still managed a walkabout within the park. However, I took Billy into the village instead of walking in and I was so glad I did as it poured down.

I have notices up within the park asking knitters to knit for the charity, 'Guardian Angel'. The garments are given to kids with cancer and their families. The response I have had is amazing and I have already been given some finished items, it gladdens my heart. Happy Hour was pleasant and not too cold.

Tuesday 30th June 2015

We awoke to a beautiful day, clear blue skies and very warm sunshine. Pete Mate and I walked into the village to do one or two things. I went walkabout in the park as well, to organise one or two things. By afternoon the weather had changed, the sun disappeared and was replaced by a chilly wind. Susan and I played Mah Jong for a couple of hours but finished early because we were so cold. Happy Hour was very pleasant; Lionel and I had a deep and meaningful conversation about God.

As good a way as any to end the month. Click on NEXT PAGE below for July.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page