Still in Emu Park ~ July 2015

Collect moments not things.

Wednesday 1st July 2015

Where did the day go? It seemed to take on a life of its own and didn’t stop until Happy Hour. I didn’t do some of the things I wanted to but there is always tomorrow.

Thursday 2nd July 2015

I went off to card making in the morning and then to the RSL for Mah Jong in the afternoon. It was a busy day but very enjoyable. Happy Hour was quiet as most of the regulars had gone to the pub for dinner. I did however, recruit another knitter for one of the charities.

Friday 3rd July 2015

Pete Mate and I went off to do some fossicking at Mount Hay. We first had a couple of things to do in Rocky then drove out to Mount Hay where, if you are lucky, you will find some thunder eggs.

You may well be asking, What on earth are thunder eggs? This was taken from a Google page:

The formation of thunder eggs is much of a mystery, but it is thought that during volcanic upheavals in far-off times bubbles formed in silica-rich material such as rhyolite, an igneous, volcanic [extrusive] rock of felsic [silicon-rich] composition.

We are not very serious fossickers and only went for the fun value. We did find a couple of the ‘eggs’ and some Rhyolite. As part of the fee we paid, these were cut so we could see the beauty inside them.

We arrived home late for happy hour but managed a short time. Then, before we settled down for the night, we went up to the Singing Ship to watch the full moon rise over the Coral Sea. Once we arrived we spotted an orange glow in the sky and watched it intently whilst taking photos. This ‘moon’ was taking so long to rise we got a bit restless. It was at this point that Pete Mate spotted the actual moon rising. What we had been looking at is anyone’s guess. The real moon was lovely to watch but we were oh so cold. Once home we closed up for the night, had dinner and a drop of the ole vino.

Saturday 4th July 2015

The day started overcast and chilly and my morning walk was not as pleasant as other mornings. During the day the cloud cleared and the sun shone, so much so I got two loads of washing dry! I did a few things in the morning and then played Mah Jong in the afternoon. A lovely lady called Nola dropped off some knitting kits for a charity I am interested in. By late afternoon the chilly overcast returned and happy hour was rather a cold one.

Sunday 5th July 2015

Pete Mate and I had a little trip out to the Mini’s Day. We saw mini horses and goats race but not at the same time. It was lovely to see the children interact with the animals. There were some mini chickens but they were in cages and surrounded by mini adults. The tiny goats were so cute I could have brought one home. I felt very sorry for a cow being hand painted by various children in an array of colours. The downside for me was the paddock it was held in, it was no good for my ankle. Before we headed back to the car we walked a little way to the dam and saw the Magpie Geese, it was magnificent to see some of them take to the sky. After we returned home for lunch I spent the afternoon handing out knitting kits and talking to various women. Then it was time for happy hour. Another busy day over. Phew!

Monday 6th July 2015

I went for my morning walk and timed it so I could also call in at the shops when they opened. Later in the morning Pete Mate took me to the hospital in Yeppoon for a cortisone injection in my thigh. Not pleasant but hopefully it will ease the pain associated with my hip. The afternoon was spent relaxing as I had been told to take it easy. I still went to happy hour; I mean why would I not?

Tuesday 7th July 2015

Today is the Tour Director’s day of pampering. It has been a while since this happened. In the morning I raced around doing some chores but not walking anywhere fast. See, sometimes I do as I am told. Then after an early lunch I went to the hairdressers followed by the beauty parlour. I came away feeling in a state of bliss.

Once home I spied two familiar faces walking by but didn’t believe what I saw. Our friends Cindy and David were on their way to the beach but as they weren’t due to arrive until tomorrow I thought I had seen their doubles. Later they called in the caravan and somehow we had mixed the dates and they arrived early. It was so good to see them and we enjoyed a rushed and short happy hour with them as Pete Mate and I were off to the Bell Park Caravan Park Christmas in July bash. We enjoyed an excellent evening and the two girls that organised the event were superb, you could not fault a thing. As soon as you walked into the pub the joyous atmosphere enveloped you, the tables and room were decorated very tastefully and the meal was very good. The wine flowed (on our table at least), the music was easy listening, not too loud and as far as I could tell everyone had a great night. We certainly did.

Wednesday 8th July 2015

Another busy day here at Emu Park. I had to go to the doctors for a check up and get the report about my hip. The bottom line is my ankle and hip will never be perfect but everything is a million times better than it has been for five years so I can live with that.

Once that was over Pete Mate and I had the job of collecting the meat, bread rolls and salad for tonight’s burger night. The rest of the day was spent at intervals organising and getting it all ready. We popped over to see Cindy and David’s new caravan and were very impressed, it is very nice. The burger night went well even though some people cannot comprehend an instruction given in English. Enough said!

Afterwards around twenty people transferred over to the camp kitchen to watch the State of Origin match on the large TV screen Pete Mate had set up. I watched the beginning of the match then excused myself and came home for a cup of tea. I did a few chores that were long overdue and then made another cup of tea and went back. I timed it perfectly as the match was just about over. Queensland trounced NSW. Pete Mate then had to take the TV down and lock it away safely in the back of the car until he can return it to the office tomorrow. Luckily we had help as I couldn’t even reach the TV (which was on top of the fridge) never mind help. Overall it was a good night and we raised some more money for the Cancer Foundation.

Thursday 9th July 2015

For me it was my usual Thursday at card making and playing Mah Jong. Pete Mate had to return the TV to the office and the baker’s tray to the bakery. His timing for being in the village was excellent; I was just coming out of the CWA hall when I saw him coming out of the bakery. A lift home was great especially as I did some shopping as well.

We enjoyed a very pleasant happy hour with Cindy and David and then I cooked dinner. It was a really lovely evening with good company.

Friday 10th July 2015

I went to Tai Chi for the first time since 2013 and enjoyed it very much. I found I hadn’t forgotten everything, plus I always get lots of hugs. Afterwards I did some shopping and chatting, as you do. I came home and did a few chores.

Pete Mate took Billy into Yeppoon for a new battery and was told there wasn’t anything wrong with the old one, Just take the cover off and top it up with water. Easier said than done. He tried for ages, he Googled it, David came over to give support as did our neighbour John. Eventually Pete Mate gave up and put Billy back together again so we could go out as planned. It transpired that it was a sealed battery, never designed to be opened. Now we really need a new one.

We took Cindy and David to Rosslyn Marina for afternoon tea. It was a lovely outing as the Marina is always a good place to take visitors. Whilst we were there, Pete Mate and I had our photo taken for the Morning Bulletin, a Rocky newspaper. Pete Mate had written to the Livingstone Council to say how marvellous the new ANZAC memorial was and the council passed it on to the newspaper. Fame at last. Before we brought Cindy and David back to the caravan park we took them up to the memorial because Cindy hadn’t seen it. Then we had a very pleasant happy hour before retiring into our warm ‘vans for the night. We come here for the warmth but this year it seems to have deserted us.

Saturday 11th July 2015

Today was Cent Sale at the RSL. If you were a newcomer to Bell Park Caravan Park and you looked out of your caravan around 8.45am you would have thought there was an evacuation going on. Then you would notice it was all women. Swarms of women make their way up the hill to the RSL for a morning tea and raffles. It is a lot of fun and money is raised for the some project in the community. It is called a Cent Sale because when the first one happened years ago it only cost a cent a ticket. Those days are long gone. We had a lot of laughs and I even won two prizes; sadly the rest of our table didn’t. Cath and I decided we should do a lotto ticket together so we stopped on the way home and caused havoc in the newsagency because:
  1. We didn’t know how to fill it in, and
  2. We wanted to pay separately, and finally
  3. We stood looking at the photo and article of Pete Mate and I in the Morning Bulletin.
Eventually we left and made our way home. After that excitement I came down to earth and did a few chores, made some soup and got the dinner ready for the oven. I then went walkabout trying to organise some ladies to help me on Monday afternoon to stuff some boobies. Gabby, our neighbour, explained to me how to knit a beanie on my new loom. I think I have the hang of it. I finished my walkabout before going over to happy hour for a while.

Sunday 12th July 2015

I did some accounts work with Sue in the morning and then in the afternoon I played Mah Jong with Susan and Suzanne. Suzanne had never played before so we taught her the basics and then that was it, she was off. Suzanne not only was very quick in picking up the game but soundly trounced us. Afterwards I gave Happy Hour a miss and talked to two of my sisters on Skype; it was good to catch up as it had been a while.

Monday 13th July 2015

Pete Mate took Billy for a service and I did a few chores. Then I went to a morning tea in the village hall in aid of NAIDOC Week. NAIDOC stands for National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee. Three of us from the caravan park went and then two local people arrived plus two people from the Council. Not one Aborigine was in sight there wasn’t a talk given or traditional dancing as promised. We had a cup of tea and biscuit and then came home.

In the afternoon I organised a Knitted Knockers afternoon tea. A few ladies stuffed the Knockers and then completed them by sewing them up. It went really well, we completed twenty two of the knockers. Once everything was cleared away we enjoyed a nice afternoon tea, I know it must have nice because I bought the cakes at the bakery. The baking gene sadly passed me by. It was a good but tiring day.

Tuesday 14th July 2015

You would think, with all the activities I am involved in, I would sleep well. I don’t, 3.00am was my sleep cut off this morning. I used the time to do some computer work. I did a few chores and then I had a little nap which revived me enough to go and play Bocce. Bocce is a game with eight balls plus a small white one. We all have to throw the ball to get as close to the white one as possible. There is a lot of sitting around waiting for your turn. It was okay and yes it was nice to sit and chat in the sun but I am not good at doing nothing. If I had taken some knitting with me to knit in between turns it wouldn’t have been so bad. Once home I played Mah Jong with Susan and Suzanne; this time I beat them. Happy Hour was a bit chilly due to the cold wind.

Wednesday 15th July 2015

I was up early again so I did the ironing and a few other things and then went off to IGA in the car as soon as they opened. I collected the carpet/upholstery cleaner and some shampoo. I was given a DVD on how to operate the machine. The DVD didn’t work so Pete Mate took it back and asked for other instructions. They were not forthcoming. We then started to work out the machine and realised the girl had sold me a ‘de-foamer’ and not a shampoo so back Pete Mate went to IGA. This time he returned with the correct shampoo and a leaflet so we were able to work everything out. Pete Mate did a superb job cleaning the upholstery and the carpets whilst I cleaned inside the van. By the afternoon we were well and truly pooped.

We were sitting outside the ‘van waiting for the floor to dry when the lovely Noreen came over and offered to make us a cup of tea, bless her. The cuppa revitalised us so we started to clear away and then take the machine back to the shop. We did a bit of shopping and then arrived home in time for Happy Hour.

Thursday 16th July 2015

I went to card-making in the morning and then in the afternoon Pete Mate and I played social bowls. We walked up to the Bowling Club which was no hardship. Once there we were given some bowls and told what to do and where to do it. Pete Mate wasn’t too bad but I was pretty hopeless. Once the bowling was over we had a drink whilst presentations were made and the raffles drawn. I won twenty five dollars and our friend Marion won the Most Improved Player shield. We then had a sausage sizzle before heading home. Pete Mate and I gave Happy Hour a miss as we were pretty tired.

Friday 17th July 2015

I went to Tai Chi in the morning then later we went into Yeppoon to do some shopping. On the way we stopped at two lookouts we have recently found out about. The views were fantastic even though they were marred a little by the smoke from the burning-off fires.

The colours of the sky and the Coral Sea were beautiful - the offshore islands separating them.
In the distance is the safe harbour of the Rosslyn Marina with all the yacht masts just visible.
Some of the houses up by the first lookout were huge and must be worth a fortune. We then carried on into Yeppoon to do the shopping. Once home I had a little rest before Happy Hour … it has been a busy week. Happy Hour was pleasant but a little chilly.

Saturday 18th July 2015

Every fortnight the prawn lady visits a local suburb and plenty of people from the caravan park order fresh and very yummy prawns. Our good friend Phil goes over and collects them. He very often has ‘helpers’ and this week Pete Mate volunteered. What PM didn’t know was that Phil left the caravan park at 8.15am so PM had a mad scramble to get ready in time and I think his body was in shock for the rest of the day. Whilst this was all happening I did a few chores. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong at Susan’s place as their caravan seems to be more sheltered from the wind. Then it was Happy Hour followed by a delicious prawn salad for dinner.

Sunday 19th July 2015

It was a nice restful and relaxing day - we didn’t have to rush off anywhere. I cleaned out under the bed which has to be done every so often but that area seems to accumulate things. I found some wine I didn’t know we had. I played Mah Jong in the afternoon with Suzanne and Susan which was very enjoyable. Happy Hour was pleasant but I left early because I was cooking a roast.

Monday 20th July 2015

I went for an early morning walk, the wind was blowing and the air was very fresh. After breakfast I started to do some computer work and it took me a lot longer than I anticipated. I put it all away around 3.00pm and Pete Mate and I walked up to the post office. It was still quite windy. Happy hour was so cold we girls had the heater on plus our jackets. Pete Mate, of course, was in short sleeved shirt and shorts.

Tuesday 21st July 2015

We had an early morning appointment with the doctor for our annual skin checks plus we had to have our annual blood tests. Pete Mate had his blood taken whilst I delivered the knitted garments that the ladies in the caravan park had completed to the Guardian Angel Pharmacy next door.

PM went in to see the doctor whilst I had my blood taken. Well, that was the plan but after four attempts to extract a drop of blood the lady gave up on me. I was not happy as all the fasting I did was a waste of time. I had my skin check which was all clear. Pete Mate has to go back next week to have a skin tag removed and a skin sample taken.

Once home we enjoyed a late breakfast. I continued with the computer work in the morning and had a constant stream of interruptions by people wanting to order sausages for tomorrow night’s sausage sizzle. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong and then went and had a cup of tea with Sue as we had a few things to discuss. I gave happy hour a miss as I was cold and the wind was relentless plus I had a few things to do in the caravan.

Wednesday 22nd July 2015

It was a busy day preparing for the sausage sizzle. We collected the sausages, bread and other things needed. It was when I had everything back at the ‘van I realised I had made a mistake and bought too few sausages. Back I went again. The evening went well and we had a good turn out in spite of the heavy downpour. The people here are amazing they still support these events even though we all got drenched. After tonight’s event we have now totalled $533 to give to the Oncology Dept at the Mater Hospital in Rocky. It was a huge effort by everyone.

Thursday 23rd July 2015

Today was my usual card-making and Mah Jong day. It was a lovely day but tiring so I gave happy hour a miss as did Pete Mate.

Friday 24th July 2015

We left the park early for Yeppoon for me to have another attempt at giving up my blood. It still was not the best and the lady said it was my fault for not wearing a jumper as I was cold. I did point out that the air conditioning blasting away didn’t help. She got some blood, I just hope it was enough.

From there we went into Rocky. We left Billy at Peddars for a check up and walked to the shopping mall. I bought one or two things and then Pete Mate walked back for the car. I decided I would walk to Spotlight. Big mistake. It was much further than I thought plus I got lost and ended up walking through McDonald’s drive-through! Pete Mate and Billy were waiting for me in the Spotlight car park when I got there. I bought the things I wanted and then we went off to do a few more shopping chores before going to The Mater Hospital to give the cheque to the Oncology Dept. The ladies there were lovely and they remembered Jim fondly. We then returned home tired but happy.

Saturday 25th July 2015

It was another busy day for me which started with a very pleasant short walk into the village. Later I played Mah Jong with Susan and Suzanne. Happy hour was pleasant, it was so nice to sit and not be cold.

Sunday 26th July 2015

We enjoyed a really great day out at Ferns. The food and wine were excellent and the company special. For me it was especially good as it was the first time I had been there since I got my mobility back; I loved it. I was the official photographer for the day and am fairly pleased with the results.

Monday 27th July 2015

Pete Mate and I attended a computer information morning. The idea was we took our laptop and IPad with a list of queries and hopefully got some answers. We could only stay a short time because we had been invited out to lunch. Pete Mate spent his time helping a poor old lady who knew nothing about computers. The questions I asked were not really answered. The lady who was trying to help the IPad users was actually there to serve the morning tea!

We left there in a hurry to make it to Yeppoon in time for our lunch date which was to celebrate the 52nd wedding anniversary of our friends Monika and Eckard. We were joined by another couple, Elizabeth and Karl. It was a lovely lunch and we all enjoyed a few laughs and lots of chatter. We finished the day back at the park with the usual happy hour.

Tuesday 28th July 2015

Pete Mate had to attend the doctor’s surgery for his skin tag removal. It all seemed to go well and he emerged with two white dressings on the side of this head. He spent the rest of the day telling people I knocked him down and kicked him! I had a few things to do for Sue before I settled down for the afternoon and played Mah Jong. The chilly wind has returned and happy hour was quite cold.

Wednesday 29th July 2015

It was a day to catch up with a few chores. I then sat outside for a while reading before retreating inside as the wind was quite chilly. Happy Hour was cold!

Thursday 30th July 2015

I enjoyed a really good morning at card making and made six cards. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong at the RSL, it was enjoyable but my score is not worth mentioning.

Friday 31st July 2015

What a magnificent day we had out on the ocean. A group of us were collected at 7.30am by a small bus and taken out to the Marina at Rosslyn Bay. We boarded a catamaran which took us cruising around the islands. We were all so excited to see a whale and a baby. We dropped anchor at one secluded spot for morning tea and then continued to another equally beautiful place. Here some people went in the small dinghy over to the island for a walk. Others swam in the beautiful, crystal clear water of the ocean. We all enjoyed a wonderful lunch and then we were off cruising again. Our captain, Anthony, threw the prawn shells into the water and heaps of fish came up for a feed. We saw two dolphins and a few saw a turtle. We arrived back at the Marina where the bus was waiting to take us all home, just in time for happy hour.

And so ends another month. Please click below for August.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page