Our last month in Emu Park ~ August 2015

When you focus on possibilities you have more opportunities.

Saturday 1st August 2015

I enjoyed my morning walk because it wasn’t blowing a gale. Here's a typical scene; it shows an outcrop of rock dividing Main Beach and Fishermans Beach.

On the horizon are some of the many offshore islands.
I then did some shopping before heading home. It is so much better to shop early because there are not many people about. Once home I did a few chores before settling down in the afternoon and playing Mah Jong. It was a good afternoon and I shall miss it when we leave here. Happy hour numbers were down tonight which made it less noisy.

Sunday 2nd August 2015

We enjoyed a nice day out in Rocky with Sue. Pete Mate drove Sue to the hospital to see her mum. Sue and I went in to visit whilst PM stayed in the car and listened to the radio. It was nice to see Barbara (Sue’s mum) looking so well. We left there and enjoyed a yummy lunch; the café we ate at was close to the river which gave us a lovely outlook. We then took Sue to visit her dad who is in a nursing home; we all went in this time. It was sad to see a lovely man slowly being taken away by dementia. We were home in time for happy hour.

Monday 3rd August 2015

It was a much quieter day today; apart from an appointment to have my eyes tested we didn’t really do much. I finished my book and then did some knitting. I did wander over to the barbecue area for a little while to listen to the music. It was a karaoke afternoon; less said about that the better. Happy hour was again quieter but very pleasant.

Tuesday 4th August 2015

We visited Sue’s dad, Albert, again and this time Pete Mate and he talked about planes. We also went to the doctor’s for the result of our annual blood tests and all is good. The skin samples that were taken from Pete Mate have come back negative as well so it looks like 'all systems go' for our departure on 30th August.

Happy hour was very pleasant but a little chilly.

Wednesday 5th August 2015

I went for coffee to my friend Iris’s home. It was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours. I then did a bit of shopping and arrived home at lunchtime. In the afternoon Susan and I played Mah Jong.

Thursday 6th August 2015

It was my usual busy Thursday with card making in the morning and playing Mah Jong at the RSL in the afternoon. It was a god day and I enjoyed myself. Pete Mate went to visit Albert. Happy Hour was a little quiet as a lot of people had gone to the pub for tea.

Friday 7th August 2015

I went to Tai Chi in the morning then did some shopping. It was Pete Mate’s turn to have his eyes tested, he is having new glasses. The rest of the day was taken up with reading and knitting.

Saturday 8th August 2015

Once again the ladies in the park left in droves to attend another morning tea and raffles. It was a good morning with plenty of prizes being given out. I was lucky enough to win one. We were entertained by two young girls singing. They had to battle against a whole hall full of women chattering and I am afraid they didn’t win. We also had a fashion parade and our friend Suzanne was one of the models. She did an excellent job as did the others. It was a good morning and the CWA announced that over $2,000 had been raised to repair the rotunda near the memorial. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong with Susan and Suzanne, a very pleasant afternoon. Happy hour was also good, not too many people but very pleasant company.

Sunday 9th August 2015

I had rather a lazy morning, not doing very much at all. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong again and then before Happy hour I went over to see Barbara and show her how to make a beanie using the loom. After happy hour was over, Leigh cooked a yummy barbecue which was enjoyed by ten of us. We all enjoyed some of Suzanne’s home made ice cream and then the Bailey’s came out. Big mistake for me, Bailey’s and I do not get along these days. It was an excellent night with great company.

Monday 10th August 2015

We had nothing planned for today so we went off to see Albert again. This time we enjoyed a lovely conversation walking down memory lane. At Happy Hour we helped Cathy celebrate her 70th birthday.

Tuesday 11th August 2015

Today was the Leo Girls Luncheon. Once again we all descended upon the restaurant in Yeppoon called Megalomania.

Leo Girls
The Leo Girls, all born under the fifth astrological sign of the zodiac.
We enjoyed a really nice relaxing lunch and our lovely men drove us there and paid the bill. We then arrived back at the park for cake and champagne. I gave the champers a miss but did indulge in the cake, it was yummy. Afternoon tea then progressed into happy hour and a good time was had by all.

Wednesday 12th August 2015

My friend Iris came over for morning tea today and Joyce joined us. We enjoyed a good chat and next week I will go to Iris’s again. Pete Mate and I walked into the village for a couple of things and then in the afternoon I played Mah Jong with Suzanne. Happy Hour was cocktail hour supplied by Terry, our neighbour. Everyone seemed to have a good time trying different cocktails.

Thursday 13th August 2015

It was my usual Thursday, card making and Mah Jong. Pete Mate went off to visit Albert. At Happy Hour we said our goodbyes to Judy and Paul who are leaving tomorrow.

Friday 14th August 2015

I had the best birthday, it was amazing. I started it off with a visit to the beauty parlour and hairdresser. Then I spent the afternoon with some lovely ladies learning the technique of ‘tapping’ plus we had afternoon tea. In the evening we enjoyed a nice dinner at the Bowling Club with friends. During the day I received so many beautiful cards and presents, the caravan looks like a bomb has hit it. I had many phone calls and messages but the icing on the cake was to have flowers delivered from son Nic in Perth. I am truly blessed.

Saturday 15th August 2015

I packed the car ready for our weekend away at Ferns. We left in good time to arrive there in time for lunch. The cabin we shared with Cathy and Phil was lovely, we were all very happy with it. Suzanne and Leigh were in a different cabin a little way from us. We six had a walk around and ended up by the creek, it was all very pleasant until we started to get bitten by the midges.

The river
Reflections in the Water Park Creek stained brown by tannin, a naturally occurring polyphenol
found in plants, seeds, bark, wood, leaves and fruit skins.
On the way back to the cabin we saw a sign for a swing so we wandered up another path and found it. We girls all had a go and Cathy even stood up on it like she did as a child.

Cathy swinging.
Swinging Cath ...
Pam swinging.
... and swinging Pam.
Once back at the cabin we sat out on the verandah watching the wildlife and enjoying the peace.

Small tail, big head, the largest of the kingfisher family, a kookaburra.
Monitor Lizard.
A monitor lizard, one of the goanna species, looking for all the world like an Aboriginal painting with its white spots.
Brush Turkey.
This fine fellow is a brush turkey, the picture of health with his pristine, shiny black plumage.
There were also a few small kangaroos (or wallabies?) grazing peacefully, totally unafraid of humans. There were many more 'roos around prior to Cyclone Marcia which devastated this area seven months ago.

We then walked up to the restaurant for dinner which was perfect. The company, food and wine were all excellent and Marto sang and played the guitar for our enjoyment. It was a superb day and evening.

Sunday 16th August 2015

We had a lazy start to the day and then wandered up to the restaurant again, this time for lunch. A bus arrived with a lot of the Bell Park patrons and a good time was had by all. It was a noisier than last night but we could still hear Marto singing. One or two of our friends wanted to see the cabin so Cathy and I showed them around. Once lunch was over and the bus departed we were left in the peace and quiet. Outside our cabin was a pit for a camp fire so Phil and Pete Mate got the fire going and we sat around it having a drink and chatting until it went dark. It was a really lovely day and we wish we could stay longer.

Monday 17th August 2015

We packed the car with our belongings feeling a little sad that we had to leave as we had all had a great time. Suzanne and Leigh decided to stay another night, lucky ducks. We arrived home in plenty of time for lunch. I unpacked and washed everything. Then before we knew it was time for Happy Hour.

Tuesday 18th August 2015

We were up at 6.00am and out the door by 7.00am. We had an early appointment in Rocky. Once that was out of the way we went to see the movie everyone is raving about, Last Cab to Darwin. We both enjoyed it very much and I admit to having a little weep. We then spent a fruitless hour in Telstra trying to change our Wi-Fi plan. After a spot of lunch we did some serious shopping before heading home for happy hour.

Wednesday 19th August 2015

I went and had coffee with my lovely friend Iris then I did the shopping. In the afternoon we visited Albert in the home and again spent an hour wandering down memory lane. Later in the barbecue area we enjoyed music and cocktails. It was a great afternoon/evening. The musicians were all amateurs that played for a hobby and they were very good. The cocktails were yummy and I have to say I enjoyed one or two, 'Slippery Nipple' being my favourite.

Music evening.
A view of the barbecue area overflowing as the band played old favourites and the cocktails flowed.

Thursday 20th August 2015

It was my usual Thursday of card making and Mah Jong. Happy Hour was very pleasant with a lot of laughter.

Friday 21st August 2015

I went to Tai Chi and then did a few things in the village. I then tackled the mess inside our caravan as it had got to the stage where you couldn’t find a place to sit. I then finished off some paperwork, did Pete Mate’s tax return; never believe the ATO when they say they have made the online lodgement easier, it is a nightmare! I then applied for our postal vote packages to be sent here as our Federal Member from W.A. has popped his clogs and voting in the resulting by-election is compulsory. Happy hour didn’t happen as the rain put people off. We had ours here in the ‘van.

Saturday 22nd August 2015

The weather couldn’t make its mind up what it was doing so we had to work around it. It was a good day for watching TV and knitting. It was nice just to relax and not have to be anywhere.

Sunday 23rd August 2015

The weather improved greatly as the day progressed. After a lazy morning I played Mah Jong in the afternoon with Suzanne. It was quite hot by then and we welcomed the breeze as we played. Happy hour was very pleasant but also sad as more of our friends are leaving.

Monday 24th August 2015

Pete Mate and I attended another computer class to learn one or two things. PM sits and listens and I go along with my list of queries. When we left there we went along to see Albert for an hour. Once home we went to a different happy hour. Tonight’s was at friend Marion’s site and we were quite a group. It was good to be with so many lovely people.

Tuesday 25th August 2015

We had a rushed trip into Yeppoon with a long to do list. We feel we received far better information from Telstra and now we know what to do. Once home we had a quick lunch and then I played Mah Jong with Suzanne. It was the last time as Suzanne and Leigh leave on Sunday. Another Mah Jong buddy leaves me!

Happy hour was long and very pleasant; it was Jock’s last night as he leaves on Wednesday. Terry showed us all a trick on how to get a cork out from inside a bottle. Yes, there was much merriment last night.

Wednesday 26th August 2015

We had been waiting for a good day, weather wise, to do the helicopter flight we had planned. Today was the day. First I enjoyed morning tea with Iris at the Marina ...

Iris and I at the Marina. Shortly after I was to fly over it in a helicopter.
... then at noon we collected Sue and we three drove out to the airstrip. Our pilot, Lance, went through the usual procedures before we took off and flew along the coast to the marina. We then headed off to Great Keppel Island where we landed and took Sue for lunch. This part of the trip was a surprise and Sue was wondering why we had landed.

We walked to the café and enjoyed a nice lunch whilst looking out at the million dollar view. We then flew back to the Emu Park airstrip where we gave Sue a framed photo of an aerial view of the caravan park Pete Mate had taken on our earlier helicopter flight. Sue really enjoyed her day away from her day-to-day problems and the phones. We called in the ‘home’ to see Albert and show him the picture before heading back to the caravan. It was an excellent day.

Thursday 27th August 2015

It was my normal Thursday, tiring but enjoyable. I went to Happy Hour and once again we said our farewells to friends.

Friday 28th August 2015

I went to Tai Chi in the morning and then was joined by some of the ladies from the park for morning tea. It was also daffodil day which raises funds for the cancer council. I bought some daffodils to give away.

The afternoon was extremely stressful as I couldn’t access MYOB at all. Eventually Pete Mate and the man from MYOB fixed it and all is well once more. In the evening we were collected by Sue and went to the Kinka Kippa for dinner. Friends Courtney and Damian joined us and it was an excellent night.

Kinka Kippa.
Here we are at the Kinka Kippa. Sue is in the bright yellow and Courtney between Pete Mate and I.
Damian took the photo with their n-e-w camera. Good one, Damian.

Saturday 29th August 2015

I did some cleaning, shopping and washing then I settled down to MYOB for the rest of the day. Everything went well and I achieved a lot. Later I went on Skype and spoke to my family. It has been a while since we have managed this due to our internet coverage. We went over to happy hour and once more said goodbyes to some more lovely friends.

Sunday 30th August 2015

It poured with rain overnight and most of the morning so it was a really good plan to do nothing. Later I watched a movie whilst knitting then I went over to Sue to sort one or two things out. Happy hour was a bit flat with very few people there.

Monday 31st August 2015

Just pottered about today. Did some reading and spent Happy Hour with one or two regulars and several new people. From now on there will be mostly short stay people; most of our 'extended family' have gone south and we'll soon be following.

There we have it, August is over so please click on NEXT PAGE below.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page