Two More Weeks In Emu Park Then South to Brisbane ~ October 2015

Treat everyone with kindness and respect even though they are rude to you.
Not because they are nice but because you are.

Thursday, 1st October 2015

I went to the CWA in the morning, not for card-making but I took my knitting along. Our card-making lady was indisposed but will be back on board next week. It was very pleasant knitting and chatting. In the afternoon I sorted out some things, did some more knitting and Pete Mate set up the new television. Ours was replaced under warranty because it had a coloured line down one side. In the evening we discovered this new one is not as good as the old one because it does not have an inbuilt DVD player. Not happy Jan!

Friday 2nd October 2015

I went to Tai Chi in the morning and then we went into Yeppoon to do some shopping. Two phone calls and the TV problem is getting sorted, we are getting another one sent to us. Once home from Yeppoon we had short naps before getting ready to go to the Bowling Club for tea. It was a very pleasant evening and Sue won the meat tray.

Saturday 3rd October 2015

Pete Mate and I walked up to the RSL to attend a community talk about the next stages of the ANZAC memorial. It was an excellent meeting, well attended and the information given out was informative and well presented. Bill Gannon the main artist who designed the first stage gave a talk explaining everything and then he took us on a walk of the boardwalk to actually point out where things will be. We were both very impressed by it all and look forward to seeing the next stage completed by ANZAC Day 2016. We walked home via the park as there was a display of old cars. We didn’t find it very interesting and the music was so loud it made my body ache. In the afternoon we watched Hawthorn annihilate West Coast Eagles. Late afternoon I went with Sue to see Albert who was looking really good today.

Sunday 4th September 2015

A few of us in the park got together to help Sue out with her meat tray. Sue is a vegetarian so winning a meat tray was not much of a thrill for her. Pete Mate did an excellent job of cooking everything. Some of us provided salads and bread and we all ate far too much. Then a cake appeared, courtesy of Sue. I have forgotten to mention it was Al’s 86th birthday. Al didn’t want a fuss but in the end he didn’t have a choice. Later Pete Mate and I were delighted to welcome our friends Ann and John back to the park. A really lovely couple.

Monday 5th October 2015

A nice relaxing day of reading, knitting watching some TV and not doing much more. After all, it is a Public Holiday. We enjoyed another pleasant happy hour.

Tuesday 6th October 2015

I did a few chores in the morning and then walked into the village. By the time I returned the sun was very hot. In the afternoon we went up to Sue’s house with Ann and John and enjoyed a very pleasant afternoon tea. We had to leave for a doctor’s appointment but needn’t have hurried because we waited for an hour for our appointment due to an emergency. We had intended to call in and see Albert on the way home but it was too late as Albert would have been having his meal. Happy hour was again very pleasant with a new couple coming to join us.

Wednesday 7th October 2015

I went for my early morning walk and then came home and did the washing. Pete Mate was up early because he had to have a blood test before breakfast. I went for morning coffee to Iris’s which as always was pleasant. The power in the park went off just before I went out and still hadn’t come back on by the time I got home. We walked into the village for lunch. Once home I was off again this time to see the accountant with Sue. I was home long enough to bring in the washing and then off we went again, this time to visit Albert. He was in good spirits and we enjoyed our visit. We were in time for happy hour which was very pleasant.

Thursday 8th October 2015

I enjoyed the morning at the CWA making cards and as always the company was excellent. In the afternoon I did a few things, worked out how to record on the new TV and then we boxed up the TV we were sending back and dropped it off at the Post Office. Happy hour was very pleasant with new people joining us.

Friday 9th October 2015

I went to Tai Chi in the morning and then enjoyed a morning tea with three of the ladies. I did some shopping and then returned home to do some chores. Sue and I tried to access something on the ATO website but gave up after half an hour. Government departments never make anything easy. We enjoyed a relaxing afternoon and then got ready for a short happy hour followed by a walk up to the Bowling Club for tea. It was very pleasant and Sue again won the meat tray.

Saturday 10th October 2015

The weather is very windy and sometime we have a shower or two. I had just put the washing out when the heavens opened. Luckily the rest of the day was dry. I had an early morning drive into the village to do some shopping for the barbecue tonight and then after breakfast I walked into the park for the school fete. It was very well organised and the children’s choir were simply beautiful, so cute. I bought one or two things and then returned home. I prepared some things for tonight and then knitted whilst we watched some programmes I had previously recorded. The barbecue in the evening went very well and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. Pete Mate once again cooked the meat and did very well. We said our goodbyes to Ann and John who move on tomorrow, we will miss them as they are a lovely couple.

Sunday 11th October 2015

We went with Sue into Yeppoon to meet up with friends Courtney and Damian for lunch. The place we had chosen was not the best for seating, service and atmosphere but the food was good. It was lovely catching up with two very busy people. Later, happy hour was again very pleasant.

Monday 12th October 2015

In the morning I started packing things away as did Pete Mate. In the afternoon Sue and I had an appointment with the accountant who has now set up her own computer, Sue’s and mine to talk MYOB together. Isn’t technology wonderful? We enjoyed another happy hour here at Emu Park.

Tuesday 13th October 2015

We had a busy day today. I had one or two things to do in the village in the morning and then in the afternoon we went into Rocky. We collected the new curtains for the caravan, changed some curtains for Sue, stocked up on wine and vitamins, visited a wonderful spice shop and bought some curry making pastes. Then we attended the appointment at the specialist for Pete Mate. That went well but as per usual we had a long wait.

We arrived home to find happy hour was half way through. Sue grabbed some glasses from her house and a bottle of wine we had purchased on her behalf and before we knew it we were at Happy Hour!

Wednesday 14th October 2015

I walked thought the park to the village to have morning coffee with Iris, this time at Degani’s. On the way I passed a man under a tree playing a guitar, friendly workmen sitting in the shade having smoko, school children having a swimming lesson in the pool, pretty parrots flying about and plenty of smiles from the locals. The sights and sounds of Emu Park is probably why we like it here so much.

Coffee with Iris was as always very pleasant as I enjoy her company very much. Once home I had a list of jobs to do and Pete Mate was already doing his. Late afternoon we visited Albert to say our goodbyes as this was the last visit before we leave. Albert was in good spirits and it was a very pleasant visit. Happy hour was very enjoyable.

Thursday 15th October 2015

I went to my card making in the morning and was very pleased with the results. Pete Mate collected me from the CWA and we went in to Yeppoon to do some supermarket shopping ready for a trip. Once home I had a few things to do and then later, much later, we had a wonderful happy hour with some lovely friends followed by pizza night. It was an excellent night.

Friday 16th October 2015

I went to Tai Chi in the morning but it was a short session because the ladies decided they needed coffee. It was also to say farewell to me. Afterwards I did some last minute chores in the village before heading home and doing some more. We finally packed everything away and hitched up the caravan ready for the morning. Later we went over to happy hour for a short time and then we walked into the village to Degani’s for dinner with Sue and Barbara. There was supposed to be music but the band let them down. The meal was good and the company excellent; the wine wasn’t too bad either. Afterwards Pete Mate and I walked up to the ANZAC Memorial to see the main sculpture lit up. When we arrived at the end of May the lights weren’t there. It was absolutely beautiful, well worth the effort of the walk.

ANZAC Memorial by night
The centrepiece of the ANZAC Memorial by night.

Saturday 17th October 2015

We left Emu Park around 9.30am, sad to leave but pretty sure we will return soon. We had a good run through to Cania Gorge with one stop along the way. We arrived in time for a late lunch and set up camp in fits and starts – you cannot hurry these things. The park owner was lovely and friendly and the park itself is very peaceful and we are surrounded by green grass and trees. The park is on the edge of the Cania National Park. The downside is the amenities are very basic, we have no TV, phone or internet. We, however, do have plenty of things recorded to hard disk plus lots of books to read.

Sunday 18th October 2015

When we woke up this morning and looked out of the window we realised we had set up camp across two sites. Oops! We felt we should move even though the park is not busy and Pete Mate suggested we move to a different site altogether. He had a walk around whilst I secured everything. We moved quite easily to a more level site plus we now have TV. Previously trees had been blocking the signal path. We settled into our new place and then relaxed for the rest of the day reading and I did some knitting. It is very peaceful here.

Monday 19th October 2015

We took the laptops and phone for a visit to the Cania Dam a few kilometres from here. Once out of the Gorge and a little higher up, reception was reasonable. We downloaded everything and then had a look around the area, took photos and then returned home. I really wanted to lie down as I have a rotten cold. All winter I escaped the Emu Park germs and now I have this. Not happy! Later in the afternoon we walked down to just beyond the office where the birds are fed. It was a noisy, squawking session with the parrots vying for the best tucker. We then walked over to see the baby calf before heading back to the ‘van and a glass of vino.

Bird Feeding, Cania Gorge
Birds feeding at Cania Gorge. Mostly rainbow lorikeets but also some dowdy apostle birds and a striking currawong to provide contrast. A currawong resembles a magpie and has a beautiful song, a fearsome beak and eyes like a pelican.

Tuesday 20th October 2015

I spent the morning making Christmas cards and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Pete Mate worked on our website ready for when we have a connection. In the afternoon I did some more knitting, then before we knew it, it was happy hour. Pete Mate and I have our own little happy hour as it does not seem to happen elsewhere in this park.

Wednesday 21st October

We set off for Monto and Eisvold but along the way decided to detour to a lookout. The lookout was called Hurdle Gully and boasted beautiful views of the valley and the Three Moon Creek. We travelled for 10 kilometres on dirt road that was not smooth by any means. When we got there the views were nice but not a sign of the river. We then had to make the return journey to the highway ... poor Billy.

On the way to Monto we did cross over Three Moon Creek which had plenty of water in it. The story of its name intrigues me; one version has a traveller or shepherd putting his billy can into the water when he saw the reflection of the moon in the creek, in his billy can and in the sky. The other version is that an Aboriginal stockman was told to come back in three months as the there wasn’t any current work. He didn’t understand and thought he was meant to come back after three full moons.

We arrived at Monto which is a small country town and found a café to have a sandwich and a cuppa. Plus we had a phone and internet signal so we could do all our emails and phone messages. The people who ran the café were very friendly and obliging plus the sandwiches were yummy. From there we went to Eidsvold to have a look around. Again it was a nice little country town. I picked up a couple of things from the supermarket and we then returned to Monto for fuel. It had been a very pleasant day out and we had driven though some lovely countryside.

Thursday 22nd October 2015

A quiet day here at Cania Gorge, I did some chores and some reading. Pete Mate did some reading also. Later we walked up to watch the bird feeding again. I was using a different lens on my camera and was very happy with the results.

More Bird Feeding, Cania Gorge
Left: A currawong intruding on the lorikeet's meal ...                           Right: A dumpy cookaburra.                    

Friday 23rd October 2015

Today is 'get ready day' so we did a few things and then once again relaxed with our books.

Trike used by Cania Gorge cleaning staff
This troublesome battery-powered trike was used by Cania Gorge cleaning staff.

Saturday 24th October 2015

We had a good run though to Standown Caravan Park, which is just outside Gympie. We have stayed here before and were lucky enough to have a similar site to last time. It is near a lake and is peaceful. The only trouble is it is a long way from the amenities block. We set up a few things and then relaxed.

Sunday 25th October 2015

Another relaxing day, the weather cannot make its mind up what to do. Our peace was shattered by very loud music from our neighbour but thankfully it didn’t last too long.

Monday 26th October 2015

Not much happened here today, I did some more Christmas cards and Pete Mate worked on the website.

Tuesday 27th October 2015

We had a good run through to Brisbane, uneventful and not too long. The welcome was frosty but I refused to react and eventually we came to an agreement. Later I went for a walk and found the shopping centre five minutes away which is a relief for me as I will not have to drive anywhere. Another storm came in but passed over quite quickly. I think we have now had a storm at Cania, at Standown and now here. Let us hope that is the last of them.

Wednesday 28th October 2015

We had to go into the city of Brisbane for a medical appointment. What a nightmare, people and traffic everywhere. Eventually we decided to park in a multi-story car park. We attended the appointment which was very informative, then it was a blood test for PM and then a late lunch. Whilst waiting for our sandwich Peter noticed some money on a low counter and thought it might be mine. When I picked it up I knew it wasn’t but I also knew who had come in after us. It was quite easy finding the rightful owner and he was very grateful. We left there and went back to the car park where we were faced with a bill of $55! It would have been cheaper for us to get a taxi there and back. We had one more call to make in the city which was a waste of time because I had been given the wrong information. Then we had to fight the rush hour traffic to get home, we took a few wrong turns but eventually we arrived weary and grateful that we will not have to go into the city again.

Thursday 29th October 2015

We had a couple of thing to do here in Ashgrove but there wasn’t so much traffic to get through. We found the library, no problem, and then the car park for the shopping centre. We then discovered that the shopping centre was not really a complex but a group of buildings that housed different shops. Yes, you have guessed, we were in the wrong one. We found people lovely and helpful and eventually we found the right one and Pete Mate went off to move the car. That all went smoothly and then we returned home and spent the afternoon reading and knitting.

Friday 30th October 2015

It was a nice relaxing day, the rain has ceased for the time being but the temperature is still cool. We walked over to the shops and had a coffee at Gloria Jean's, it has been a while since we visited Gloria. Once home again we set about one or two chores and then I did some more Christmas card making and some knitting. The afternoon seemed to be taken up with one phone call after another, the longest one being from the hospital who wanted to know everything including the colour of Pete Mate’s underpants.

I tried out a couple of new recipes – one was mediocre but I think the other will be yummy.

Saturday 31st October 2015

We enjoyed a really yummy lunch with some lovely people. We had been invited to Paul and Helen’s home where we also met up with Peter & Chris. Pete Mate used to work with Peter and Paul in another life. It was so good just to sit, relax, chat have a few laughs, a few wines and some delicious food. I could not believe it when I looked at my watch - it was 4.45pm, the time had flown by. We said our farewells and then Pete Mate and I set off for home. We had found our way there without drama so surely we can do the same on the return. No such luck, Alice decided we wanted to see more of Brisbane and we went off down roads that were in the wrong direction entirely. Eventually we found ourselves back at a familiar junction, we made a joint decision to turn left on the basis we turned right last time and it was wrong. (Alice showed the correct route going straight ahead but there was no such road.) Turning left was good and eventually we found ourselves on the right road home.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page