The start of our 12th year 'on the road' ~ January 2016

We must not say every mistake is a foolish one.

Friday 1st January 2016

Today is Pete Mate’s birthday. We went for our morning walk. I then had a busy day ahead of me getting things ready for tonight. Sue helped me decorate the tables in the barbecue area. Then at 4.30pm people started arriving for happy hour followed by a barbecue to celebrate PM’s birthday. We were a party of 15 and the atmosphere was happy and relaxed. I cooked the barbecue for everyone and everyone seemed to have a good time. We finished the evening with a birthday cake but the wind wouldn’t allow us to light the candles properly. The cake was yummy and plenty to go around. All in all in was a very good evening.

Saturday 2nd January 2016

We both had a busy day today getting ready for our friends Greg and Bev who arrive tomorrow. We went over to happy hour for a short time before heading home for a yummy prawn dinner.

Sunday 3rd January 2016

We went for our walk and got ready to go to the airport to collect Bev and Greg. We got there in plenty of time and were waiting for them when they emerged through the doors from the tarmac - it was so good to see them. Once we had their luggage we were in the car and heading home to Emu Park. We took them to their accommodation in the village. The reception was closed and they had to key their mobile number onto a pad to retrieve their key from a safe-like box. Their room looked nice and comfortable – we deposited the luggage and then went to Degani’s for lunch. Afterwards we walked up to the ANZAC Memorial and the Singing Ship. Bev and I walked back to the caravan park whilst the boys collected the car. We then enjoyed a very early Happy Hour before our weary guests wandered back to their motel for a rest. We all walked up to the pub for dinner which was very pleasant. I had organised a surprise birthday cake for Bev which was once again very yummy.

Monday 4th January 2016

The weather was wet and windy but still warm. We met Greg and Bev in Degani’s for breakfast which was very pleasant. We then took them for a drive out to Kinka and Yeppoon. We managed to dodge most of the showers when walking about. In the evening we all went over to happy hour and Sue joined us. We four then went back to the caravan to eat dinner we sat outside the caravan which was very pleasant indeed.

Tuesday 5th January 2016

Pete Mate and I went for our session with our new fitness trainer, Rosie, which was good. Then PM had a silly idea we should walk up to the Singing Ship. It was not the best decision but we did it. We took Greg and Bev to the crocodile farm which is always interesting. Most of the tour is outside and it was hot – very hot. We then took them out to Keppel Sands for a look plus we all enjoyed a cold drink at the pub. Finally, we showed them the Islanders Cemetery which is small but unique. We headed back to the caravan for a late lunch. Greg and Bev then went back to their motel for a rest before coming over for Happy hour and dinner.

Wednesday 6th January 2016

The weather was perfect and we were ready early for a day out on the water. I had booked the four of us onto catamaran, Grace II, as Pete Mate and I had previously enjoyed a wonderful day of sailing in the winter. The four of us joined ten other tourists on the boat and we all enjoyed a great day.

Greg and Bev
Greg and Bev at the wheel.
Everyone except PM and I swam for ages in the clear, warm water of the Coral Sea. Pete Mate and I managed to get into the small tender and were taken over to the island for a walk. It was perfect, we were the only two people on this beautiful island. We walked along the water’s edge and I tried to think of the last time I did that. It was a very long time ago.

Once back on Grace II we relaxed and watched the others swimming. We enjoyed a yummy lunch of salads with prawns, ham and roast beef. On the way home the wind picked up and Anthony and Vicki put the sails up and stopped the engines. It was a very pleasant journey home. In the evening we enjoyed a barbecue in the caravan park cooked by Greg.

Thursday 7th January 2016

Pete Mate and I went for our session in the park with Rosie who gave us a good work out. We then went home for a shower and a change of clothes before meeting Greg and Bev in Degani’s for breakfast and discussed what to do for the rest of this very hot and humid day. The unanimous vote was to stay in air-conditioning, whether in a building or car.

We decided to drive out to Nobs Pottery at Byfield. The drive was very pleasant as Byfield is very pretty and we were all cool in the car. We had a look around the pottery (not so cool) and then went to Byfield General Store for lunch.

Since we were so close we decided to drive on to Ferns Hideaway, a favourite place of ours. We have enjoyed a few delicious lunches there and have stayed in the cabins twice. The main attraction is proprietor Marto who entertains you whilst you eat and drink. He sings and plays guitar and he always sings The Streets of London for me. We were driving around the place showing it to Greg and Bev when who should appear but the man himself. He greeted Pete Mate and I and welcomed Greg and Bev. He then opened up the restaurant for G & B to have a look around. To our delight he switched everything on and picked up his guitar and sang The Streets of London for us. How special was that?

We left there to drive home and along the way we saw an emu. We do not see many emus around this area despite the name of Emu Park so it was a treat.

We were all invited to Happy Hour by Barbara and Sue at the house on the hill. It was a lovely time and we never tire of the views from that house. Million dollar views looking out over Emu Park, the Coral Sea and the islands.

We finished the day with pizzas at the Emu Park Pizza place. Sue joined us and it was a very good evening.

Friday 8th January 2016

Pete Mate and I went for our usual walk and then hurried home to get ready to take Greg and Bev to Rockhampton Airport. We arrived at the airport in plenty of time and then said our goodbyes. This is the bit I don’t like but over the years have got used to saying goodbye to many lovely people. It has been a good week and we hope Greg and Bev have happy memories of Emu Park.

Before leaving Rocky we called in at the grog shop for more supplies and then Spotlight. Every time I go into Spotlight in Rocky I come out asking, Why do I come here? I think the store is understaffed so you wait and wait for service. Anyway, I got what I wanted and then we returned home. I did a few chores before relaxing for the rest of the day. It was a very quiet happy hour.

Saturday 9th January 2016

We went for our usual walk and are closely watching the second stage of the ANZAC Memorial Walk which is now under construction. After breakfast I walked back into the village to the hairdressers for a much needed haircut. I was pleased with the results. Once home the plan was to do some cleaning but I read a book instead. There is always tomorrow for cleaning. In the afternoon I went over to Sue’s for a cup of tea. We went over to Happy Hour and then later I talked to my brother and sister on Skype.

Sunday 10th January 2016

We had a rest day from walking and exercising. Pete Mate did some reading and some work on the computer. I did a few chores, including the ironing, before it got too hot. Not a task one wants to do in the heat of the day, especially when it is humid. I tackled some bookwork in the afternoon and then later we went over to happy hour. When we got back I sat outside whilst roasting some meat in the turbo oven, by this time the temperature was perfect.

Monday 11th January 2016

We went for our usual morning walk and then later I walked back into the village to meet Thelma and Iris at Degani’s for coffee. I walked in and two smiling faces greeted me with arms outstretched for hugs. Very special. In the afternoon I did some more bookwork. Happy Hour was very pleasant as we were joined by Sue’s sister Kathy and her husband Trevor. Not forgetting grandson Kobi.

Tuesday 12th January 2016

We did our early morning walk and then after breakfast went for our exercise session with Rosie in the park. As always she pushes us hard and I found a couple of the exercises eased the pain in my hip. In the afternoon we visited our GP and once again Pete Mate is off for more tests. We did a few things in the village, one being to have a drink at the bakery; just sitting outside watching Emu Park was pretty damn good.

Wednesday 13th January 2016

We did our normal walk before breakfast. Pete Mate couldn’t eat breakfast because he was fasting for his tests. I dropped him off and then went and had coffee at Iris’s. I collected PM two hours later. The rest of the day was taken up with finishing off the accounts and reading.

Thursday 14th January 2016

We didn’t walk this morning because our session with Rosie was at 6.00am. We walked home for breakfast and to do a few chores. Pete Mate has a new hobby looking after the grass surrounding our site. He waters and feeds it. Then poor ole Stretch has to cut it! At lunchtime we rang the doctor’s for PM’s test results and got the all clear - nothing at all wrong with him. He just wanted us to make a fuss over him. In the afternoon I walked up to the RSL to play Mah Jong. I wasn’t sure how I would go sitting all that time but I was fine. I played with some lovely ladies and enjoyed myself. In the evening we were invited to a barbecue with Sue’s family. It was a lovely evening with yummy food.

Friday 15th January 2016

We went for our morning walk but this morning found the boardwalk closed for walkers. The workmen now have serious fencing surrounding where they are working. Once home I did a few chores, then after lunch we went to do a few things in Yeppoon. Have I mentioned we now have a Bunnings in Yeppoon? The staff there are very friendly and helpful. I soon had my purchases but Pete Mate had to browse – it is Bunnings after all. Normally I would wait in the car but today is especially hot so that was out of the question. We enjoyed a very pleasant happy hour.

Saturday 16th January 2016

Whilst walking this morning we found a way on to the boardwalk. Boy was it windy. Calling at the supermarket on the way home we found a busker outside playing the pan pipes and he was very good. When we gave him all our change, he asked if he could recite a poem he had written about the Kookaburra. It was very good and we enjoyed it. Once home, Pete Mate did some things on the computer and then read; I read a little and then spent most of the afternoon making cards. Happy Hour was pleasant and very lively with Sue’s extended family.

Sunday 17thJanuary 2016

We walked our usual route and then wandered through the markets on the way home. There weren’t as many stalls as usual and fruit and vegetables were scarce. After breakfast I tackled the task of ‘under the bed’; things get tossed into the storage location under the bed until I decide what to do with them. It took me quite a while to sort through everything and now it is all neat and tidy plus I have a bag of things for the charity shop. As the temperature today is much cooler I spent the afternoon sitting outside the caravan knitting and reading a book - not at the same time. Happy Hour was quiet just Pete Mate and I but that was fine, we enjoyed it.

Monday 18th January 2016

Again we had really pleasant temperatures for sleeping overnight and walking in the morning. After doing the usual chores I once again sat outside the caravan knitting and reading. Happy Hour was very pleasant.

Tuesday 19th January 2016

We had our morning session with Rosie which went well apart from me falling over and that was before we had actually started. I hurt my knee and hip.

Later I walked back to the village to have coffee with Thelma and Iris at the Bakery. It was very pleasant. As the day wore on I felt the knee and hip gradually get worse. I finished off a knitting project I had been working on for a while. Pete Mate is reading a book he can’t put down. Late afternoon I went with Barbara to see Albert in the home, we played dominos and had a chat. I came home to find Pete Mate already at Happy Hour with Sue so as soon as I had done one or two things I joined them.

Wednesday 20th January 2016

For me it was not a good day, the pain in my knee and hip kept waking me up during the night and getting in and out of the caravan was so painful. Iris came over for a coffee for which we had to retreat inside the ‘van because Stretch took that moment to come and whipper snip around the place. I rested up as much as I could. Pete Mate did his watering and more reading. We joined Sue and Barbara for dinner at the Kinka Kippa, we sat outside and it was very pleasant. Sue kindly did the driving so we could drink.

Thursday 21st January 2016

I had a better night’s sleep and the pain was beginning to ease. We went for our session with Rosie and I took it easy, didn’t push myself. Pete Mate is doing really well with the exercise and is now feeling the benefit. I spent the day reading and knitting but at intervals would get up and walk around and stretch – Rosie’s instructions. By evening I was feeling a lot better. Pete Mate is really taking his hobby of looking after the grass seriously. After we got back from Rosie he borrowed the lawn mower to cut the grass. It is years since he mowed a lawn.

Friday 22nd January 2016

We went for our morning walk and had a look at the progress of the Memorial Walk’s Gatehouse, today there seems to be workers everywhere. Home again we had breakfast then got ready for our day in Rocky.

Out first place on the list was Bunnings. I found what I needed and then found a seat to wait for Pete Mate. After Bunnings we went to the Mitsubishi Dealers to have a look at the new Pajero Sport. The salesman was very nice and not pushy so PM was able to get the full run down on the new model. I preferred the more classic Pajero plus I didn’t like the fact the GPS is operated by your smartphone. Very often we are in places that do not have phone coverage plus we don’t have a smart phone.

We left the Pajeros behind and went in search of a craft shop I had found on the internet. We searched for this shop, rang the number which went straight to ‘message bank’ then we gave up and went to First Choice to stock up on wine.

Last on our list was the Stocklands Centre because we had a few things to do there. We had some lunch and then I visited a few shops whilst PM sat outside them. He did however, come into Kmart for a browse. Then we both went for an eye test which resulted in referrals to see a specialist about having our cataracts removed.

Last on the list was Coles and Pete Mate was in such a hurry to get around the store I came home without some things I needed. Once home we enjoyed a very pleasant Happy Hour followed by a lovely meal prepared by Sue. Very yummy indeed.

Saturday 23rd January 2016

After our morning walk and then breakfast we were both busy with our own tasks. Pete Mate went off to the garden centre for a few things and then spent most of the day pottering round outside. I did the normal washing and cleaning and then tackled the fridge and freezer plus a few other things on my list. Later I did some reading and then it was time for happy hour.

Sunday 24th January 2016

We took our cameras on our walk this morning. Below is one of mine that we both really like. Later Pete Mate went off to do 'something outside' whilst I gave the carpet and floor a good scrub. In the afternoon PM read whilst I made some more cards. Happy Hour was very pleasant.

Waves and Rocks
Waves and Rocks - Looking Down from the Boardwalk.

Monday 25th January 2016

Our walk this morning was a little unpleasant because it was so hot and we didn’t have the usual breeze. I enjoyed morning coffee with Thelma and Iris at Degani’s.

When the mail was delivered my Christmas present was amongst it. Downton Abbey DVD’s, what joy for me. So after lunch I watched one episode before going to visit Albert in the home. Happy hour was very pleasant and very long, our neighbours joined us. They have just bought their caravan and were trying it out.

Tuesday 26th January 2016

Rosie put us through our paces this morning and we both felt she is pushing us a little bit more. We then walked up to the RSL for the Australia Day celebrations. We were entertained by a band of musicians who played various instruments and sang old fashioned songs. They also did some folk dancing which was very good. The Bush Poet was excellent and soon had us all in stitches laughing.

Poet and Band
The Bush Poet and the Band
The RSL gave us a lunch of meat pies, mushy peas and damper plus as much tea, coffee and water as you wanted. The bar was open to purchase drinks but I don’t think Pete Mate and I will be having a red wine there again, it was terrible. Overall, however, it was a good afternoon and we enjoyed it plus we had the company of Iris. We walked home for a nanny nap before happy hour.

Wednesday 27th January 2016

We walked as usual but it was hot and very humid and we returned home dripping. I went over to Iris’s for coffee and a chat later, which is always enjoyable. In the afternoon I collected Iris and took her to have a cancer cut out of her neck. She was going to go on her own until I offered to take her. I read my book in the waiting room until she was ready to leave. I was so glad I had offered as Iris was very shaky and pale. I arrived home to find Pete Mate and Sue enjoying a happy hour so I joined them.

Thursday 28th January 2016

After our session with Rosie we came home and did a few chores. In the afternoon I went up to the RSL and played Mah Jong. My score was hopeless but I do enjoy playing. The only problem is my hip and by the time I left I was in a lot of pain from sitting for so long. I enjoyed happy hour even though I had to take my cushion with me. I do hope the specialist can fix this hip.

Friday 29th January 2016

When we did our usual walk we found much activity happening at the board walk. They were laying a concrete floor and it all looked very interesting. Once home Pete Mate grabbed his camera and went back up in the car to take photos. After breakfast we went into Yeppoon to do some shopping. We were not totally successful with our purchases but it was so lovely to shop without kids running about – thank you school teachers everywhere.

We went over to Tiger and Trish’s for happy hour. These are friends we met the first time we ever came here. We didn’t know it was Tiger’s birthday so it wasn’t just happy hour but a celebration with nibbles and cake. It was all yummy, too yummy, but we did give dinner a miss. When we had left the caravan the wind had been quite fierce and we were unsure if we would have to take in the awning as a huge storm had been forecast. Whilst we were at T & T’s the wind dropped and any sign of a storm passed us by.

Saturday 30th January 2016

After our usual morning walk we called in for a cuppa at Degani’s. I did a bit of shopping at IGA and then we walked home for breakfast. I did a few chores and then read for a while. Later we went over to happy hour but I only stayed a short while as I had arranged to talk to family on Skype.

Sunday 31st January 2016

Our walk this morning was not very pleasant because of the humidity and heat. We walked a little later than normal which didn’t help. We called in at Degani’s for a cuppa and then made our way home to the air conditioning. In the afternoon I went over to Sue’s to do a couple of things and then have a cup of tea and a chat. At Happy Hour we were joined by our neighbours ... our only neighbours.

And so ends January.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page