So Many Social Occasions, So Much Food ~ June 2016

Years teach us more than books.

Wednesday 1st June 2016

Pete Mate and Roger went off to Rocky. I went over to Iris’s for coffee and came away with heaps of things she knew I could use. In the afternoon I took Cathy, Sue and Iris up to see our friend Trish who has recently lost her brother to cancer. We took some flowers and by all accounts we did cheer her up a little. Jill her neighbour, and also a friend of ours, joined us for a cuppa.

Once home I did a few things before happy hour. For me happy hour was short as I had arranged a Skype call with my sister. The connection was poor so we had a very disjointed conversation. Pete Mate came rushing in from happy hour as the fogger was here to spray his chemicals around to kill the sand flies and mozzies. We all had to be indoors with all windows closed.

Thursday 2nd June 2016

I went to card-making in the morning and was very pleased with the results. I had a lot of cooking to do so I gave Mah Jong a miss. I made two lasagnes for tomorrow night for Lorna’s birthday bash. Lorna works in the office here and has turned 70. I also made pizzas for Sue, Roger and us. As the weather had turned wet and cold I cooked over at Sue’s and it was a very pleasant evening.

Friday 3rd June 2016

We had to be out by 8.00am to be in Rocky for my eye appointment by 9.00am. Roger came with us and we made good time and arrived early. Everything went well and the specialist was happy with the results. We left there and went to the shopping mall as I had some serious bra shopping to do. I did a few other things and then we had lunch.

We were home in reasonable time which was good as I had to finish off the lasagnes and Roger was preparing the nibbles. The weather got steadily worse and we wondered if we should cancel the evening but a couple of the men put up tarps around the barbecue area. Everything went ahead as planned and it was an excellent evening. Lorna had a great time which she truly deserved. Later, as we retired to bed, a violent thunderstorm moved in and it rained cats and dogs.

Saturday 4th June 2016

In the early hours of the morning a storm arrived and boy did it rain. When we woke up later the storm had passed over leaving everything drenched and mucky. I soon had everything drying in the sunshine and cleaned up. I did heaps of washing as well and that all dried. We were blessed with hours of lovely sunshine after the torrential rain. Later I did some card making and then I went to happy hour which was a short one tonight.

Sunday 5th June 2016

Pete Mate and I went for a walk, it has been a week since we walked and it was so good to be back up by the Singing Ship once more. We had breakfast at Degani’s before heading home. I finished a card I had been working on for our grandson, Fidel, and I'm very happy with the results. Happy hour finished with a firework display. Not in the caravan park but from the beach. It was to celebrate Beef to Beach weekend. The beef part is Rocky (the beef capital of Australia) and the beach part was Emu Park.

Monday 6th June 2016

I had a busy morning catching up with a few household chores and then working on Sue’s paperwork. In the afternoon Sue and I went into Yeppoon to see the new accountant. It was a good meeting and we received good advice. Later we, together with Roger, went to Phillip and Amelia’s for happy hour. Roger knew Phillip from his previous life. It was short one as Pete Mate had to be back in the park, he is on call at night if the power goes off. No sooner had we arrived back and he was off to check a power supply fault which turned out to be the people’s fridge.

Tuesday 7th June 2016

I went to the hairdressers for a colour and cut. I am so pleased with the results. Once home again I did some more paperwork for Sue and then later Pete Mate, Roger and myself went to look at Suzanne and Leigh’s unit in the village. Happy hour was long and very enjoyable.

Wednesday 8th June 2016

I went out for lunch with Sue, Barbara and Iris, it was a lovely lunch and we had a good time. We also fitted in some shopping before heading home. Pete Mate went into Rocky to collect a table for Sue. In the evening we went to the pub for dinner as it was Suzanne’s last day. It was also trivia night. The meals were not the best but we did come third in the trivia. The real joy came when we realised we had beaten our old arch-rivals!

Thursday 9th June 2016

I went to card making in the morning and played Mah Jong in the afternoon. I also won the fruit and veg raffle at the CWA. I finished organising the June Ferns trip which was turning out to be a nightmare. Pete Mate put Sue’s table together for her. Happy hour was noisy and another long one.

Friday 10th June 2016

I went to Tai Chi and then afterwards Sue picked me up and we went into Yeppoon for an appointment. Afterwards we went for morning tea and then did a couple of things for the caravan park. In the afternoon I did some reading before walking around the park selling lucky numbers. Happy hour was short as a group of us all went up to the Bowling Club for tea. It was a good night even though the music was ordinary. When we got home we went to Roger’s for a nightcap which was a mistake because someone was very wobbly when we left and it wasn’t me.

Saturday 11th June 2016

Pete Mate and Roger left the park early to go and get the prawns. I decided not to walk but to start the cleaning. I did all those jobs that had been looking at me all week. Later in the afternoon I watched some of a movie Sue had lent us and did some knitting. Before happy hour I once again walked around with the lucky numbers. Happy hour was good.

Sunday 12th June 2016

Pete Mate and I walked into the village for breakfast which was very yummy. We then did our walk up to the Singing Ship and around the board walk. I paid Iris a quick visit to see how she was after her operation. She was a little wobbly but seemed okay. In the afternoon I did some card making. I walked around with the lucky numbers. Happy hour was good, some new people joined us.

Monday 13th June 2016

Pete Mate worked on a wiring plan for the park all day. I did Sue’s paperwork in the morning and then after lunch I walked into the village to order the sausages and bread for the sausage sizzle on Wednesday night. I watched a little more of Sue’s movie before going over to happy hour. It was cold and the wind was blowing so the regulars did not turn up. Once the rain started that was it, happy hour was abandoned

Tuesday 14th June 2016

Pete Mate and I had a morning appointment with Dr Beth which went well and we came away with appointments for our annual skin check plus forms for our annual blood tests. We then collected Iris and went into Yeppoon to do some shopping and have lunch. Iris was a lot brighter today and said the outing did her a world of good. Once home I had a nap and then did some reading before happy hour.

Wednesday 15th June 2016. The 2nd anniversary of Jim's death.

We went for our morning walk which we have been neglecting to do recently. I went to Iris’s for coffee in the morning and then once home it was busy busy getting ready for tonight's celebration of Jim's life. The weather was not being kind to us so windbreaks were put up round the barbecue area to keep the worse of the weather at bay. A few of us were blowing up balloons when all of a sudden two popped in quick succession. Cathy and I thought we were being shot at and nearly ducked under the table. At the end of the afternoon the barbecue area was decorated with balloons, a Port Adelaide flag and a board of Jim’s memorabilia. Later, just before happy hour, we placed the model of Jim’s Audi and a can of his favourite beer by his memorial. The evening went well with a toast to Jim and Sue. Over a hundred sausages were cooked by Pete Mate and John. Cathy did a marvellous job collecting tickets and giving out the plates and bread. Towards the end of the evening we had the lucky draw which consisted of five wrapped gifts. The whole evening went well and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

Thursday 16th June 2016

It was a normal Thursday for me, card making and playing Mah Jong. I wasn’t overly happy with my cards. Main thing was I had a very enjoyable day. Pete Mate has been busy drawing up plans that show exactly where the power outlets are for each generator. Happy hour was good.

Friday 17th June 2016

No Tai Chi today as it was a public holiday – Rocky Show Day. Pete Mate and I went for a walk and then called in at Degani’s for coffee. After breakfast I started sorting the messy caravan and was pleased with the results so far. We had a short happy hour because a group of us went up to the Bowling Club for tea. It was a really good night and we all enjoyed it.

Saturday 18th June 2016

Pete Mate and I went for a walk and then later I went with Sue to a workshop in Yeppoon which was for spiritual development. At lunchtime Sue checked her messages and found there was a power crisis in the park so we had to leave. We felt the morning had offered us some answers but were not overly happy with the person running the workshop. Once home Sue went off with Colleen to check out what was happening so I looked after the office. Pete Mate was already on the job and after a little while peace and power was restored to the park. I then spent my bonus free hours doing a couple of card-making and printing projects. Happy hour was good - not too long - which suited me as I hadn’t prepared anything for dinner.

Sunday 19th June 2016

A group of us went on the bus to Ferns and what a fantastic time we all had. The weather was terrible with torrential rain. When we arrived at Ferns, Marto, Genevieve and staff members were all waiting with large umbrellas to escort us into the restaurant. The food and wine were really excellent but the music was awesome. Marto and Mark were on top form plus they had a guest guitarist and singer.

Joyce and Derek form the caravan park also did a couple of songs each. The rain continued most of the afternoon and when we left we did the umbrella walk in reverse. We arrived back at the park with the rain still pouring down and Sue met us with large umbrellas so we could all get off the bus and under the office roof without getting too wet. We then managed to get home without getting too drenched. Happy hour was cancelled. The weather never dampened our spirits and we all finished the day full of smiles.

Monday 20th June 2016

We had to go for our annual blood tests this morning, and as Sue also had to go for hers we went together. We then went for breakfast at Degani’s. The rest of my day was spent doing some bookwork for Sue. In the evening we went for happy hour to Tiger and Trish’s. It was a very pleasant time.

Tuesday 21st June 2016

I went to the beauty shop for a manicure in the morning and then in the afternoon we went into Yeppoon to see the specialist that gave me a new hip. He was very happy with my progress and I don’t have to see him again until next May. We arrived home in plenty of time for happy hour.

Wednesday 22nd June 2016

We had to be in Rocky by 9.00am for Pete Mate’s eye check-up. Iris and Roger came with us. We dropped PM off and then I dropped Roger off at Stockland’s before Iris and I enjoyed a very happy hour in the card-making shop. We had a ball. We then collected PM and joined Roger in Stockland’s to do some shopping and have a coffee. We had a few places to go to in Rocky plus we fitted in lunch at The Leagues Club.

We arrived home late in the afternoon but in plenty of time for happy hour. I didn’t cook dinner as we had enjoyed a large lunch so I prepared some cold chicken and decided to warm some bread in the microwave. I thought I had set it on 30 seconds but I didn’t and before we knew it the ‘van was full of smoke. It was pouring out of the microwave. At first we were oblivious to this as were engrossed in doing our puzzles. Our neighbours from across the road came running to see if they could help as they had seen the smoke pouring out of the caravan. As we emerged outside with the very burnt bread, the smoke alarm decided to work. It was a while before I went back inside. Even though Pete Mate opened the hatches and had the fans running we spent the night sleeping in a smoky environment.

Thursday 23rd June 2016

It was my usual Thursday of card-making and playing Mah Jong. Pete Mate enjoys the peace and quiet.

Friday 24th June 2016

BJ and I walked into the village for Tai Chi. I then hurried home to change clothes before meeting Sue & Marianne for coffee. I then did some shopping. In the evening we went to the Bowling Club for dinner.

Saturday 25th June 2016

We had a big cleaning day today to try and get rid of the smoke smell. Pete Mate took the microwave down out of its housing and cleaned it and the housing. I cleaned the walls, ceilings, wiped down all the cupboards and surfaces, washed the floor, scrubbed the carpets and did five loads of washing. The smell hasn’t gone completely but is a lot better. I had a short happy hour as I went on Skype to talk to my sister.

Sunday 26th June 2016

We went to Degani’s for breakfast and was very disappointed in the service. We waited an hour for our food which we found unacceptable. We will try somewhere else next week. We did our usual walk after breakfast and then it was home to relax and do some reading.

Monday 27th June 2016

I did the park bookwork for most of the day. Pete Mate took Billy into the workshop for a service and some repairs. They kept the car so Roger very kindly took us to Tiger and Trish’s for happy hour. We enjoyed ourselves very much.

Tuesday 28th June 2016

I woke up in the night with a sore throat and a bit of a cold so I took the day off and stayed home, away from everyone. I spent the day cutting out pictures to make some more cards. Pete Mate collected Billy in the afternoon along with a very large bill! Pete Mate went to happy hour without me and he and Roger formed their own happy hour in Roger’s ‘van as the weather was cold.

Wednesday 29th June 2016

We went into Yeppoon in the morning, I had a physio appointment and Pete Mate had a podiatrist appointment. We met afterwards in the coffee shop before we did some shopping. Once home I made a quick lunch and then I went to the exercise session in barbecue area. BJ and have just started doing this in the last few days and one or two others have joined us. Later a large group of us went up to the pub for dinner. I had organised it and decided it would be the last time I organised such a large group for the pub. Not all the meals were up to scratch but Pete Mate and I enjoyed ours.

Thursday 30th June 2016

It was my usual card-making and Mah Jong day. Card-making today was at Thelma’s house as the CWA was closed because they were having a new roof. Iris collected Joyce and myself and we enjoyed a very nice morning. Mah Jong was good, Susan and her daughter also came up to the RSL. All in all it was a good day.

So Ends June 2016

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page