The Park is full and the nights quite chilly ~ July 2016

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Friday 1st July 2016

I went to Tai Chi with BJ and Larraine. It was a very enjoyable session and a few of us went for coffee afterwards. In the afternoon Pete Mate and I went for our annual skin check and to get our blood results. PM was all clear but I have a small skin cancer on my leg. The rest of the results were all good. In the evening a whole group of people from the caravan park went for dinner at the Bowling Club. It was a such a good night we went back to our caravan for drinks. That is Pete Mate, Roger, Stan and myself. It turned into a very late night.

Saturday 2nd July 2016

Pete Mate and Roger had to be out early to go and collect the prawns. Once they were delivered they both enjoyed a fairly quiet day! I spent a lot of time cutting out for my card making.

Sunday 3rd July 2016

At Roger’s suggestion Pete and I plus Cathy & Phil and their friend’s Eileen and Len went out for a drive to Byfield. We called in at Nob Creek Pottery for a while before heading to Ferns for lunch. The pottery had some lovely things in it and I bought a necklace and a paperweight.

Lunch at Ferns was lovely as was the music and the company. We all enjoyed a really good time. Once home we had happy hour and then retired for the night. Well Pete Mate didn’t because one of the generators stopped working. Stretch couldn’t fix it so he came banging on our door. Eventually someone from the hire company came out and replaced a faulty part and peace was restored to the caravan park.

Monday 4th July 2016

BJ, Iris, Larraine and I went into Yeppoon to a piano concert based on the music of Winifred Atwell. The pianist was a Kiwi - Jan Preston - and was very good. Jan documented Winnie’s life by showing us slides and telling us the story of her life. This made it more interesting and it was very enjoyable. The seats, however, were not! They were most uncomfortable and we were glad to finally be able to stand and stretch our legs.

In the afternoon I played Mah Jong with Susan outside the caravan. We went over to Sue’s for dinner with Marion and Mike. It was a really good evening with a lot of laughter, chatter and good food and wine.

Tuesday 5th July 2016

I felt like doing nothing so I did nothing. I went nowhere during the day and just felt like resting. I had a good sleep in the afternoon and woke up full of beans. The rest did me a world of good and so I went off to Happy Hour as usual.

Wednesday 6th July 2016

I enjoyed morning coffee with Iris then Pete Mate and I went into Yeppoon to do a quick shop. Before going home we went to the doctor’s in Zilzie for Dr Beth to cut out a skin cancer from my leg. That went well. Eight stitches and a stretchy stocking later I left there for home. I have to wear the stocking for a week to reduce the swelling. We enjoyed a lovely happy hour at Tiger and Trish’s with Sue, Cathy and Phil followed by fish and chips at a local café. It was a good evening.

Thursday 7th July 2016

It was a normal Thursday for me, CWA in the morning and RSL in the afternoon. A very enjoyable day.

Friday 8th July 2016

A few more people from the park are now coming to Tai Chi in the village. It was a good session and then a few of us went for coffee. I hadn’t been home long when Sue came over asking for Pete Mate’s help, a couple we had met previously and recommended Bellpark had arrived and couldn’t get on to their site. We both went to help Lillian and Paul; Lillian is the lady who makes all the angels I give away. There was a lot angst and the office staff worked really hard to solve the problem. Eventually they were given another site for three nights and then moved to a site where they will stay for the time they are here. Once that was all settled I went home to put my feet up.

In the evening we attended the Bush Wedding at the Bowling Club. It was a really fun night and we laughed and laughed from beginning to end. The food was good and plenty of it, the music was pleasant and not too loud. A good night was had by all.

Saturday 9th July 2016

I did some cleaning and tidying up.

Sunday 10th July 2016

Pete Mate and I went for our walk and then I cooked brunch. It was yummy and kept us full for the rest of the day. In the afternoon I played Mah Jong with Susan and beat her soundly.

Monday 11th July 2016

BJ and I attended our first CWA meeting and were welcomed officially and given our badges. The meeting was interesting but a little long. I then went and did some shopping and PM collected me plus purchases. Happy hours in the barbecue area are so noisy now with so many people it has become unpleasant.

Roger came over for dinner, bringing it with him. It was a pleasant night for sitting outside and the meal Roger prepared was lovely. It was a really nice time.

Tuesday 12th July 2016

I did Sue’s paperwork today and I completed more or less everything. It was a very productive day. In the evening we went up to the pub for Christmas in July. It was a wonderful night organised by BJ. She had one or two helpers but the success of the evening was definitely down to her. The room and the tables were decorated beautifully. I helped BJ sell the raffles tickets as people arrived. Once the meals started to arrive we packed away the raffle tickets and joined in the festivities. The meal was good and plenty of it, I think everyone enjoyed their meals. BJ was a great compère getting everyone to dance and have a good time. I won the first raffle prize which was something BJ really wanted so I gave it to her as she deserved it much more than I did. It is always a pleasure to make someone happy.

Wednesday 13th July 2016

Pete Mate was called out to fix the power at 8.00am – this seems to be a popular time for the power to go down. Someone has a faulty appliance they use for breakfast; the hard part is narrowing it down. Roger came for him at 9.00am to go into Rocky and waited whilst PM finished getting himself organised.

I went over to the doctors at Zilzie to have my stitches out. As the wound has not healed enough I have to go back next week. The lab results confirmed that it was not cancer but scar tissue. I then went to do some shopping. Once home I made some soup for tomorrow night, then I went to the exercise session in the barbecue area. I had some lunch, set up Mah Jong then went and collected Iris and took her to the doctors for some skin cancers to be removed. Back home I played Mah Jong with Susan outside the ‘van. Iris phoned later to say she was ready to go home so I collected her and made sure she was alright in her unit. I then whizzed back to my Mah Jong game where Susan beat me soundly. We then went to Happy Hour at Jill and Sandy’s, it was a lovely time. Cathy and Phil were there and we took Lillian, Paul and Roger.

Thursday 14th July 2016

In the morning I went to the CWA for card-making, my favourite type - iris folding. Nothing whatsoever to do with my friend, Iris. The effect, especially when making Christmas cards is delightful. After a very quick lunch I went to the Bowling Club for Social Bowls Day. I was in a team with Gail and Jock. Thank goodness, because they looked after me. In fact, everyone helped and looked after me so much so I had two touches and was told I had played well. Kindness knows no lies!

Pete Mate was the official photographer and wandered around taking photos and drinking beer. Drinking seems to be part of playing the game. Afterwards we went into the clubhouse and had some drinkies and a couple of sausages – cooked by the club volunteers. The forecast rain that the organisers were so worried about, arrived just as we were finishing playing. It then rained all night but not the big storms that were forecast. PM and I stayed tucked up in our cosy ‘van for the rest of the night.

Friday 15th July 2016

It hasn’t stopped raining all night so I took the car to Tai Chi and then afterwards on to Hoy. I won three prizes at Hoy and enjoyed a pleasant morning. In the afternoon I went to the beauty shop and hairdressers. Then I had to whizz up to the Bowling Club to book a table for tonight. By the time I got home I was wet, very wet. We enjoyed a pleasant time at the club but I didn’t win any raffles. When we got home Pete Mate disappeared for a while because the power was off.

Saturday 16th July 2016

We now have torrential rain and winds. The rain has once more found its way into our ‘van via the toilet cassette door. Pete Mate had to go out in the pouring rain and cover it with plastic. What am I saying, go out in the rain? The poor man spent most of the day in the rain trying to keep the power in the park going. He then had to tow a ‘van out of Froggy Hollow because the water was rising fast down there. By the end of the day he only had one set of dry clothes left. Sue came over for a wine and said if the power goes off now it stays off. She wasn't prepared to risk anybody fault-finding on lethal voltages in the dark and wet. That is exactly what happened, the power failed and stayed off until it got light.

Sunday 17th July 2016

It is still raining but not as heavy. I managed to wash and dry our clothes and sopping wet towels. The laundry dryer was working overtime. Sue needed some water-resistant boxes for the power lead connections so I offered to go into Yeppoon for them. I was just about to leave when Pete Mate arrived home from fixing up the power yet again so he came with me. We couldn’t get what we needed in Yeppoon so we drove to Rocky. We got the boxes and then had an awful toasted sandwich in Bunnings. Never again! We decided, as we were in Rocky, we might as well get some wine. I did all the driving and felt pretty pleased with myself as it was the first time I had driven into Rocky. Once home Pete Mate was off again to fix power problems and that went on right through the evening. Roger came over for happy hour and dinner, which he provided, but eating it without interruptions was very difficult. Pete Mate went out for the last time about 2.00am and then after that the power stayed off until daylight.

Monday 18th July 2016

The day dawned with sunshine and blue skies. Everyone was out and about drying awnings, annexes and clothes. Pete Mate was out at first light to see to the power, he came home for a quick breakfast before he took off again and that was the last I saw of him until about 4.00pm. I went to a CWA meeting with BJ and then did some shopping. The big guns were called in to fix the ongoing power issues – hopefully they have fixed the problem.

Happy hour was at our place, it started off with us and Roger and then Sue joined us plus Stan. After happy hour Roger, Pete Mate and I ate dinner which was rather yummy even though I say it myself. Later Cliff brought his port over for a nightcap. A good night was had by all.

Tuesday 19th July 2016

I went early to have my stitches out and then we went with Roger into Rocky to do a few things, mainly to buy some new sandals for Pete Mate. We had a good lunch at the Leagues Club which meant I didn’t have to cook dinner. We three were very tired little cookies when we arrived home, so much so the men had naps. Well I know Pete Mate had a nap but as we didn’t see Roger for the rest of the night I would say he had a big sleep. I went over to the barbecue area for a short happy hour then we had our own happy hour outside the ‘van with Sue.

Wednesday 20th July 2016

I went for coffee to Iris’s which is always pleasant. I then did some shopping before heading home for lunch. In the afternoon I spent a great deal of time cooking dinner for tonight. It was a new recipe and it didn’t go well. The soup was fine but the frittatas may not have looked like they should have but in the end tasted good. We went to Tiger and Trish’s for happy hour and enjoyed it very much. Once home Sue and Roger came over for dinner and once again it was a very pleasant evening.

Thursday 21st July 2016

It was my usual day out, card making and Mah Jong, both very enjoyable.

Friday 22nd July 2016

BJ, Maureen, Larraine and I went to Tai Chi. I then had a few things to do for next Friday. In the evening we went to the Bowls Club for Christmas in July. It was a really good night, the food was yummy, the music good and of course the wine flowed.

Saturday 23rd July 2016

Once more there was a mass exodus of women making their way up to the RSL for the Cent Sale. This was cancelled last Saturday because of the storms. It was an excellent morning and I came away with a couple of gifts. Gail won the wine I had donated but because she didn’t drink it she gave it to me for next Friday’s Morning Tea. I spent the afternoon wrapping up the presents for the morning tea. Happy Hour was once again noisy and crowded.

Sunday 24th July 2016

It is Ferns day today. I had organised two busloads of people to go to the Nob Creek’s Pottery and then on to Ferns for lunch. I was checking people off my list as they boarded the buses when we discovered we had four extra people. They had put their names down on the 14th August trip thinking it was for today. A phone call and a quick check on the bus and we were able to accommodate them. I think most people enjoyed the pottery, I know I did. Pete Mate bought me my birthday present. Ferns was once again amazing with lots of laughs, music, good food and plenty of wine. Marto and friends kept on playing so by the time we got people organised and on the bus it was well after 4.00pm. We arrived back at the park for a very late happy hour. A good time was had by all.

Monday 25th July 2016

I tried to work on Sue’s accounts today but in the end gave up as we had a constant stream of visitors. Two visitors were friends Jan and Ross who were passing by on their way to Yeppoon. They had wanted to stay here but couldn’t get a site. It was lovely to see them again. In the evening I had organised the Sailing Club courtesy bus to ferry 33 people to the music night. Most people had a good time but some of us were just plain tired.

Tuesday 26th July 2016

Jan and Ross arrived around 10ish and we enjoyed a cuppa before walking up to the ANZAC memorial; it gave us great pleasure to show off Emu Park’s pride and joy. We then enjoyed a lovely lunch at the pub. We gave Ross some money towards Keno and we won $2 between the four of us. Jan and Ross played the pokies with the dollars and each couple ended up $17 better off. We can now say we never play the pokies but we have won. It was a very good day.

Wednesday 27th July 2016

Pete Mate had to return to the doctor’s for a check-up regarding his blood pressure which has become very worrying. He took our monitor with him to check it against the doctor’s. we discovered his blood pressure is fine, he was getting false readings because the cuff was too small for his arm. We came out of there very relieved.

We decided to try the new coffee shop which has opened in the village. We asked for a menu, no menus. We asked for a sandwich, no sandwiches, they weren’t officially open. We settled for drinks and a small quiche each. The quiches came with a pat of butter so I assumed they were muffins not quiches. We asked for knives and serviettes – we got the serviettes and forks not knives. We did eventually get the knives and the drinks and the quiches were very nice, butter not needed. We thought we would give them a couple of weeks to settle in and then try them again.

In the evening we went up the hill to Jill and Sandy’s for happy hour which was, as always, very pleasant except for the mossies. Boy did they bite - and a lot of them. Once home I got the dinner ready for Sue, Roger and us. It was a pleasant evening. Pete Mate lit the lamp and the coils so the mossies didn’t worry us too much.

Thursday 28th July 2016

It was my usual Thursday, card making and Mah Jong.

Friday 29th July 2016

The day has finally arrived – The Biggest Morning Tea. It took a lot of organising and I was worried about the weather. I needn’t have worried, the sun shone brightly and everything was in place by 10.00am. I had lots of helpers on the day and it all went according to plan. Everyone was amazing and Phil was fantastic as the auctioneer. We raised $1200 for RizeUp which will go a long way to help abused families to set up new homes. By noon it was all over and then we had the task of cleaning up. Again we had lots of helpers and it was soon sorted.

I went home for a rest but couldn’t settle at all. In the evening we went into Yeppoon to the Thai restaurant and that is where it caught up with me, I was falling asleep at the table. Gail, Jerzy, Cathy, Phil and Sue all agreed the food was yummy, so much so we all said we would return.

Saturday 30th July 2016

The caravan got a big clean up today as it had been neglected for a while because of the organising I was doing. In the evening I went on Skype and talked to my sisters, plus Poppy and Rex, my sister Angie’s grandchildren. I haven’t seen them for a while and they seem to have grown up overnight.

Sunday 31st July 2016

BJ, Joyce, Iris and I went into Rocky to a card making demo. I did the driving and was absolutely fine as there was very little traffic. It was an amazing morning and we learnt so much. We came away with lots of ideas and purchases. Once home I had a quick lunch and then went to Susan’s to play Mah Jong. Susan trounced me soundly.

Time flies - we're into August already!

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page