Glorious weather ~ August 2016

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible;
and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Monday 1st August 2016

I tried to do some of Sue’s bookwork but had one or two interruptions so didn’t get very far. This is Sue ...

Sue Waterman

In the afternoon I, along with Judy and Cathy, went to Jill’s for craft and afternoon tea. Our idea was to watch but Cathy and I were encouraged to give it a try. I was not very good and needed a lot of help form Lorna. It was, however, a lovely afternoon and the ladies are wonderful.

Tuesday 2nd August 2016

I went to the CWA in the morning to learn how to make jewellery. It was good fun and I completed a bracelet and key ring. In the afternoon I did some of Sue’s bookwork.

Wednesday 3rd August 2016

I had coffee with Iris then came home to continue doing some organising. In the evening we went to the pub with Roger and his cousins Ann & John. The meal was very nice but our score for trivia was appalling. It was however a very pleasant evening.

Thursday 4th August 2016

Pete Mate started with a man cold during the night so he spent the day in bed. I did my normal Thursday activities.

Friday 5th August 2016

I went to Tai Chi but didn’t stay, I delivered some raffle prizes to the ladies who had attended the Morning Tea. I did the shopping and bought some cold and flu tablets for Pete Mate who had had a terrible night. We had to decline attending Gail’s birthday dinner as Pete Mate was really sick.

Saturday 6th August 2016

Pete Mate spent another day in bed but at least he had a good night’s sleep thanks to the tablets. I spent all day card-making and was pleased with the results.

Sunday 7th August 2016

Roger came with us to collect Suzanne from the airport. I've mentioned Roger a lot; here he is ...

Sue Waterman

We left Emu Park early because we wanted to call in at Dan Murphy’s. It didn’t take as much time as we thought so we arrived at the airport early. We settled ourselves down in the coffee shop with drinks in full view of the screen so we would know when Suzanne had landed. Next thing we know she is standing in front of us thinking no one had come to collect her. Please don’t ask how we missed the plane landing because we do not know. Once the luggage was on board Billy we four went to The Leagues Club for lunch, which once again was very nice. We then dropped off Suzanne at her accommodation before going home for a rest before Happy Hour.

Monday 8th August 2016

I went to the CWA monthly meeting with BJ and met up with Suzanne there. It was my turn to read the poem which I did a little nervously but I did it. When I think back a few years I would never have stood up and read out aloud. The meeting dragged on a bit as meetings tend to do.

After the meeting BJ, Suzanne and I met up with Iris, Judy and Cathy for lunch. We were supposed to be trying out the new Brew coffee shop but it was closed so we went with Plan B ... Degani’s. It was very nice and the company very pleasant. In the afternoon I continued my organising and did some craft things.

Tuesday 9th August 2016

I went to CWA in the morning for craft. I made some more jewellery. In the afternoon I took Iris to the doctor’s which didn’t take long. Happy hour was pleasant.

Wednesday 10th August 2016

Iris and I went shopping in Yeppoon. I had a couple of presents to buy and to do some other shopping. We had a very pleasant day out. On our way to happy hour at Tiger and Trish’s we called in to see Suzanne and Leigh’s unit. It really is very nice and everything looks like it has been well done. We enjoyed a lovely happy hour at T and T’s complete with birthday cake for Cathy who was celebrating her birthday.

Thursday 11th August 2016

It was my usual Thursday, card making and Mah Jong. In the evening we had happy hour at Janet & Peter’s. It was very nice and we ate so much food we didn’t need dinner.

Here's Janet ...

Friday 12th August 2016

I went to Tai Chi and afterwards we all went for coffee. In the evening a small group of us went to the Pizza place for dinner. It was very pleasant.

Saturday 13th August 2016

We went for our morning walk – it has been a while. We called in at Degani’s for breakfast which was very nice. I went at midday for a manicure then spent the rest of the day card making.

Sunday 14th August 2016

We went for a walk and then got ready to go to Ferns on the bus. I had organised the trip for 64 people. The day was wonderful - we all had so much fun. The food was good and the wine flowed.

Monday 15th August 2016

I took the day off from life in general as I was feeling a little under the weather. Happy hour was early today as it was Pop’s birthday celebration. It was a good evening and Pop seemed to enjoy himself.

Colin 'Pop' Pollard at 98

Here he is: Colin 'Pop' Pollard at his 98th birthday celebration ...

Tuesday 16th August 2016

I had some organising to do for tomorrow night’s burger night. In the evening we went to the pub to celebrate Suzanne and my birthdays. It was a good night, we were a small group and the food was the best it has been in a while.

Wednesday 17th August 2016

I spent a large part of the morning chopping onions. Afterwards the caravan smelt of onions for hours. Pete Mate and I collected the burgers and bread ready for tonight. I managed a short rest in the afternoon before setting up everything for the burger night. It went really well and a good time was had by all. When all the money was counted, we had raised $1,511 for RizeUp this winter. Amazing people, here at Bell Park Caravan Park.

Thursday 18th August 2016

I went to card-making in the morning and then took Iris to the doctors to have another cancer cut out from her face. I left her there and came home to try and put some order into the caravan. Later I went back to collect her and took her home. This is when we found out we were locked out; Iris had given her keys to a neighbour who was going to let a workman in. The neighbour had gone out! Eventually Iris’s daughter-in-law came to the rescue with a spare key. Later, happy hour was pleasant but I didn’t stay too long.

Friday 19th August 2016

I didn’t go to Tai Chi as I didn’t feel up to it. I did however attend Hoy, maybe for the last time. Hoy does not really do much for me, I only go to support the RSL. I find my mind wanders to other things and then I may miss my card being called out. On the way home I collected the slice I had ordered for tomorrow’s CWA Quilt Show’s morning tea. Later in the afternoon I took the slice over to the hall. In the evening we went to the Bowling Club for tea which was pleasant.

Saturday 20th August 2016

The CWA Quilt Show day has finally arrived, this day has taken months and months to plan and many meetings. I was just outside the door selling some raffle tickets. I say 'some' because there were different kinds. The day went well with lots of lovely quilts on display – there are so many talented women around. The lunch consisted of soup and sandwiches followed by fruit salad. It was all very well done and very good value for $20. Apart from the raffles we had an auction and the auctioneer was really good. It was a tiring day, more so for others than me, but an excellent day.

Sunday 21st August 2016

Pete Mate and I walked to the markets and had a wander around. I bought some ‘bling’ for card making, ordered my Avon, bought some fruit and vegetables and had a good chat with people we met along the way. Pete Mate and I then went to Degani’s for breakfast where we timed them and received our breakfast within fifteen minutes - much different to over an hour’s wait. It was okay but everything was overcooked. Once home I did some card making for the rest of the day. Happy hour was good though sad as we now have to start saying goodbye to all our friends as the exodus has begun.

Monday 22nd August 2016

I enjoyed a very lazy morning, I took my coffee and went back to bed to finish a book I was reading. In the afternoon I pulled out my long neglected knitting and got those needles clacking. I need to finish this project before getting started on pretty things for our new Great Granddaughter who will be arriving into this world in December. Happy Hour was long and very enjoyable, we said more goodbyes to people leaving in the morning.

Tuesday 23rd August 2016

Pete Mate had an appointment at the doctors this morning, we arrived early because I had the wrong time. We decided to try the new café near the surgery and found it very nice. The doctor gave Pete Mate a clean bill of health so all is good.

In the afternoon I played Mah Jong outside the caravan with Suzanne and Jeanette, it was a good afternoon. A few of us went up to the pub for dinner as it is Gail and Jerzy’s last night. It was a good night with great company, good food and wine. Mark, the manager of the pub, treated us all to some port at the end of the evening.

Wednesday 24th August 2016

Pete Mate and Roger went to Rocky whilst I went to Iris’s for coffee. I then did the supermarket shopping before coming home for lunch. I enjoyed a couple of hours of ‘me’ time before the boys returned home. I went over to Monika and Eckard’s to say goodbye. We went to Jill and Sandy’s for happy hour and Suzanne and Leigh came with us. It was a very pleasant happy hour until the mozzies started dive bombing us. We dropped Suzanne and Leigh off at their accommodation and said our goodbyes as they are off home tomorrow.

Thursday 25th August 2016

I went to card-making in the morning, our numbers are dwindling. In the afternoon I sorted cupboards out as I didn’t feel like Mah Jong today. I took a box and two bags of things over to Vinnies. Happy Hour was special because Lorna and Dougie turned up after their long spell away. Their son has been very ill and they have been in Townsville helping to look after him.

Friday 26th August 2016


I went to Tai Chi with Laraine and Wendy from the park.

This is Laraine ...

We enjoyed a good session and then I hurried home as we were going into Rocky to the Caravan and Camping Show. We collected Roger from Yeppoon where his car was being serviced. We enjoyed a good few hours wandering about the show and I have chosen the caravan I would like. I just need to find $98,000 and a bigger car because Billy wouldn’t be able to tow it. I bought a couple of things and we had a sort of lunch. On the way home we dropped Roger off for his car and a huge bill to be paid.

Happy hour was very short as most of us were off to the Bowling Club for dinner. We enjoyed a good night and the music was too loud this week. We said goodbye to Phil and Cathy as they are off in the morning.

Saturday 27th August 2016

The big clean up and decluttering has begun. I sorted through cupboards and under the bead and seat and have ended up with things going to the rubbish bin, the back seat of the car is full of things for the charity shop and we have cupboards with empty places. Pete Mate has started on his things but has a long way to go. Later we went to a Welcome Back Lorna and Dougie happy hour. Quite a few people turned up laden with food and a good time was had by all. It was also the birthday of park patron Greg Brown, so he was wished a Happy Birthday in Bell Park Caravan Park style.

Sunday 28th August 2016

I left Pete Mate at home sorting through his man drawer and cupboard. Iris and I went into Rocky to the card-making shop, Stockland’s and Spotlight. We also enjoyed a lovely lunch at a place we hadn’t tried before. The drive there and back was great - hardly any traffic on the road. Once home I cleaned out another cupboard and then had a rest before happy hour. Happy hour was short but pleasant, we were joined by two German girls who were on their honeymoon. They were married in Germany in August. We saw the photos and both girls were given away by their fathers and they both wore beautiful white dresses. Pete Mate and I then went to Janet and Peter’s caravan for dinner. We were a group of ten and somehow all fitted in their annex. It was a lovely meal, heaps of food and too much wine. We enjoyed ourselves so much we were the last to leave.

Monday 29th August 2016

A bit of a lazy morning, I took my cup of tea and went back to bed to finish my book. Isn’t retirement wonderful? Later I cooked for the freezer and then sat outside the ‘van making cards. I didn’t go to happy hour because I went on Skype with my sisters. Pete Mate went and enjoyed a long happy hour.

Tuesday 30th August 2016

Laraine, Iris, Thelma, Irene and I enjoyed morning tea at the bakery. It was very pleasant sitting in the sunshine chatting and watching the world go by. I had planned to do some more sorting out and cleaning but made some more cards instead. Happy hour was very pleasant; more goodbyes were said.

Wednesday 31st August 2016

I collected Iris around 10ish and we took the knitting projects to the Guardian Pharmacy at Zilzie. Each year some of the ladies in the caravan park knit for Guardian Angels and the items are then distributed to the needy. This year it seems no one at Guardian Angels knows what they are doing and Anthony (Guardian Pharmacy) has piles of knitted goods in his storeroom. We decided to go for coffee at the new coffee shop close to the pharmacy; it was very enjoyable. Afterwards we did some shopping in the village, visiting the charity shop which cleared the back seat of Billy.

In the afternoon I went up to Jill’s place with some of the ladies from the park. They showed me the quilts they were working on and I was very impressed. Afternoon tea was amazing. In the evening we went to the pub for dinner and the James Blundell Show. The dinner was good and I enjoyed the show apart from the inconsiderate women at the table next to us. They were incredibly rude, talking really loudly and two of the women were shrieking at each other across the table. When asked to be quiet they said I had the problem. It wasn’t just us that were upset by their lack of manners as other people on other tables were giving them the hard stare. It resulted in us leaving early.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page