Life with a new knee ~ August 2017

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Tuesday 1st August 2017

I walked, did my exercises and . . . not much else.

Wednesday 2nd August 2017

I didn’t do much today as I seem to have picked up a tummy bug.

Thursday 3rd August 2017

Today was pretty much the same as yesterday - feeling really awful.

Friday 4th August 2017

Beginning to feel better today, still not doing much. Pete Mate went off for yet another scan.

Saturday 5th August 2017

I seem well enough today and tried to do a bit of housework which is difficult on two crutches. I did some walking plus my exercises.

Sunday 6th August 2017

Not much happened here today. Just the usual exercise and rest. We are slowly using up all the meals I made for the freezer before going into hospital.

Monday 7th August 2017

We had to drive into Rocky for my physio appointment. We decided we would have lunch out but left it a little too late to go anywhere other than the hospital café. The meal was surprisingly nice. Physio was a bit tough and lasted an hour and a half. Overall the team were happy with my progress.

Tuesday 8th August 2017

Today is the Leo Girls Lunch. We six Leo’s get together once a year to celebrate our birthdays. Husbands are invited also (someone has to drive). This year it was at the Waterline Restaurant at Rosslyn Bay. It was a lovely meal but the confined space was not good for the knee. We exchanged our gifts, it gets harder each year to think of something original but I think we all did well. Once home I rested for a while with ice on my knee. Later I went over to happy hour for the first time since coming out of hospital. I didn’t stay long but it was nice to be out and about.

Wednesday 9th August 2017

I had a much better day today, pain-wise. Much better. Later in the day it was the Music and Moonshine. Pete Mate had a medical appointment in Rocky and came over later. The music was pretty good but I avoided the Moonshine except for a couple of sips. Marto and Genevieve from Ferns joined us and it was lovely to see them relaxed and not working. Later a large group of us went up to the pub for dinner. It was a very pleasant evening.

Thursday 10th August 2017

I went back to CWA this morning and made two cards. I found it very tiring and hard to sit at the table. Everyone was very helpful and kind.

Friday 11th August 2017

Before going into hospital I organised a craft morning making stars. The way I felt this morning reminded me not to make any arrangements in October when I have the second knee done. The lovely BJ had prepared the material plus Sue prepared morning tea. I gave instruction on how to make the stars until someone decided they knew a better way. My reaction was, go for it, I will go and have a cup of tea. Overall the morning went well and we raised another $42 for Rize Up. In the evening a few of us went to the Bowling Club for tea. It wasn’t as busy but the music was just as terrible.

Saturday 12th August 2017

It was the CWA Multi Draw and Morning Tea. Iris was wonderful and collected me in her car. We enjoyed a very good morning, I won an awful lot of gifts and needed help to get home. I certainly needed a rest in the afternoon.

Sunday 13th August 2017

Not much happened here today. Just the usual exercise and rest.

Monday 14th August 2017

I enjoyed a pleasant but different birthday. Pete Mate and I went into Rocky for lunch at the Leagues Club. The renovations there really get in the way of having a pleasant time. It didn’t take us long to eat our lunch then leave the hammering and drilling behind. I had my physio appointment at the hospital which lasted all afternoon. It went well and I don’t have to go back again.

Tuesday 15th August 2017

I didn’t do very much today because the workout I had at physio yesterday fair wore me out.

Wednesday 16th August 2017

We went to the doctor’s to get Pete Mate’s test results. Doctor was happy we were happy so it was a good result all round. When we left there we did some shopping before coming home for yet another rest.

Thursday 17th August 2017

Iris collected me again to take me to CWA. It was a pleasant morning and I made three cards. Pete Mate and Roger went into Rocky for an appointment and lunch. They met up with Marty and Jock at the Irish Pub but by all accounts the lunch was not up to much. I enjoyed a peaceful afternoon resting.

Friday 18th August 2017

A restful morning was followed by going to Sue’s house for afternoon tea to celebrate her birthday. It was a glorious day weather-wise and the views from Sue’s house are stunning. There was great excitement when someone spotted a whale breaching right in front of us. It was a very pleasant afternoon. Later a group of us went to Jolt for dinner. It was a very pleasant evening, the food was good, the music much better than the Bowling Club and the company excellent.

Saturday 19th August 2017

A day of doing very little, just reading, knitting and resting.

Sunday 20th August 2017

Today is a Fern’s outing. The buses arrived on time and we were soon on our way. We all enjoyed another good day with good food, music and company. There were one or two hitches but overall it all went well.

Monday 21st August 2017

BJ drove Suzanne and myself into Yeppoon, to a craft show. When we arrived I was getting out of the car when someone slammed the car door on my fingers! Not mentioning any names but her nickname is Princess. For a moment or two I was stunned but as no real damage was done I quickly recovered.

We had a look at the crafts, not many stalls, and then we left. We went to collect the chairs I had bought on line. Once home we all had a look at one of the chairs which turns out to be a lounger and big. I found it very comfortable but we think we are taking the other one back. Our friends Cindy and David have arrived in the park and they joined us for happy hour. It was a very noisy happy hour in the barbecue area and it was difficult to hold a conversation. It was good to see them.

Tuesday 22nd August 2017

It was a busy day doing all sorts of things. Cindy and David came over for coffee which was very pleasant. Pete Mate and I then went into the village to shop. Later we enjoyed a happy hour at the ‘van where it was less noisy and we could have a conversation with Cindy and David. Roger joined us, as did Sue for a little while.

Wednesday 23rd August 2017

We enjoyed a lovely lunch with friends Cindy and David. We took them to the Waterline Restaurant at Rosslyn Bay. The weather was perfect, the food yummy, the wine very good and the company excellent. Once home it was nanny naps for Pete Mate and I before happy hour.

Thursday 24th August 2017

I went to CWA in the morning; my dear friend Iris picked me and brought me back. In the afternoon I went with four other ladies form the park to a craft place. It is local and is really an online shop but the lovely Helen allowed us into her ‘shed’ to browse. We all enjoyed it plus Helen provided a lovely afternoon tea.

Friday 25th August 2017

We went into Yeppoon in the morning to get my knee X-ray done ready for next Tuesday. What I didn’t know was it is a specialist X-ray and Yeppoon didn’t have the right equipment. The receptionist was lovely and made an appointment for me in the Mater Hospital in Rocky for next Monday.

We decided to take both loungers back and change them for something more practical. The shop, BCF in Yeppoon, could not be more helpful, we received excellent service and made an exchange for two chairs with feet rests. We then had a few other things to do in Yeppoon before collecting the fresh prawns from Anne, the prawn lady, on the way home. We had a short rest before happy hour and then a group of us went to Jolt for the evening. The ribs seem to be very popular amongst our group. It was a lovely evening with good company.

Saturday 26th August 2017

I had a few chores to do and then I sat on my lovely new chair and knitted. At one point Pete Mate had to rescue me because I leaned too far back and my feet were up in the air and I couldn’t get them down. He broke a habit of a lifetime and didn’t take any photos!

Sunday 27th August 2017

A small group of us went to Ferns in the mini bus to celebrate Suzanne’s mother’s birthday. Gillian (mother) and Frank have been staying in Suzanne and Leigh’s unit for a few days. We had a really good time and we all decided it was much better going in a smaller group. At happy hour we said goodbye to Suzanne and Leigh as they are off tomorrow. We will miss them as we have enjoyed their company very much.

Monday 28th August 2017

We went into Rocky for my X-ray and to collect some wine. Roger came along for the ride. We also enjoyed a nice lunch at the café at the hospital. The X-rays went well, the young girl was lovely and very kind.

Once home I joined a few other ladies for an aromatherapy afternoon. It was interesting and the oils were very nice. I didn’t buy any because I have a lot of oils at the house in Perth. Another goodbye at happy hour, this time for BJ and Peter. Again, we will miss them as we do enjoy their company.

Tuesday 29th August 2017

Today is the day . . . do I ditch the crutches or not. My knee passed all its tests and the crutches are back in mothballs, ready for October. Dr P was in good humour and we did have a good laugh about him eventually running out of joints to replace. Whilst in the waiting room I was chatting to a chap who had his knee done the same day as me. He remembered our conversation in May in the same waiting room when I told him he would be fine as joint replacements are a breeze. He has had a terrible time and his knee is not as good as mine. Talking to him, it did become apparent that he hadn’t actually done everything he had been told to do including the exercises. Happy hour was very pleasant, with Thelma and Barry back in the park. Nice people.

Wednesday 30th August 2017

A busy day doing this and that. It is nice to walk without the crutches but I find I cannot walk far yet.

Thursday 31st August 2017

I went to the CWA in the morning for card making. I made four cards and then waited around for a meeting to discuss the Fun Run which is happening next month.

Please click NEXT PAGE button below.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page