My crutches redundant and all is well ~ September 2017

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try and cheer somebody else up. Mark Twain

Friday 1st September 2017

I went with a few of the other ladies in the park to Jill’s for afternoon tea. It was a lovely afternoon. In the evening we went to the Bowling Club for tea. The music was pretty appalling but we did enjoy the evening.


Some people go to the Bowling Club and get legless.
Others just have to be different.

Saturday 2nd September 2017

I did my usual chores in the morning and then I went back to Jill’s as Diane (lady staying in the park) was taking the dolls she makes to show Jill. Again it was a very pleasant afternoon.

Sunday 3rd September 2017

Today is Father’s Day and a barbecue was organised in the park to celebrate this event. We all took our meat, a salad and dessert then it was all pooled and shared. It was a good afternoon with a lot of laughter, wine and far too much food.

Monday 4th September 2017

Pete Mate and I spent the day getting organised for tomorrow; operation day for PM. We enjoyed happy hour with a small group and then proceeded to another happy at the barbecue area. We had to say goodbye to a few people as the annual spring exodus continues.

Tuesday 5th September 2017

Pete Mate and I were up early and arrived at the hospital for 7 o clock. Pete Mate was prepared for his operation and at 10 o clock they wheeled him down to theatre. I waited in his room, the surgeon then appeared and said she had cancelled the operation because peter had not followed her instructions leading up to today. Peter had no recollection of this conversation and the more we talked about it we came to the conclusion it never happened. So he was rescheduled for October. We drove home . . . well, actually we drove home via Jolt for an early lunch. It was quite amusing in the park because no sooner had we arrived home everyone knew Peter was back and the operation hadn’t happened. We enjoyed a happy hour with the smaller group tonight.

Wednesday 6th September 2017

Pete Mate and I went through every piece of paper the surgeon had given him, which wasn’t a lot. I Googled Dr Andrews, found out her qualifications then Googled another Rocky doctor with the same specialisation. I managed to get an appointment with our GP and we went to discuss this fiasco with her. She referred PM to the Dr I had found and straightaway I made an appointment. We cancelled the other surgeon and we will wait and see where a second opinion gets us.

Thursday 7th September 2017

A busy day getting ready for our visitors. My brother John, his wife Rosemary and their son Andrew were coming for a visit from New Zealand. Pete Mate had to go into Yeppoon for another scan so we decided to do the shopping there. I had the cooler bags with me. We bumped into Roger who offered to take the shopping home which was a much better plan than I had. Later we collected the family from the airport it was good to see them and we could not get over how tall Andrew is these days. Once home we had happy hour and then we ate a dinner I had organised with the help of Roger and Sue. It was a very pleasant evening.

Friday 8th September 2017

Pete Mate and I had to go and collect the prawns we had ordered. Rosemary said she would like to come with us so we all went. John had played a trick on Rosemary, telling her we were actually going to catch them. Once home we ate some of the prawns for lunch along with the other things I had prepared. In the afternoon we took them to see the Memorial Walk and the Singing Ship. In the evening we went to Jolt for dinner. Rosemary and Andrew are partial to ribs and on a Friday night ribs is a speciality of Jolt. They had a good time. It was a lovely evening.

Saturday 9th September 2017

I took John and Andrew to the crocodile farm for the tour. Pete Mate wanted some time at home and Rosemary and I didn’t want to do the tour - we were just going to find a corner somewhere and have a cuppa and a chat. However, unless we paid the full tour fee we had to leave. So we went with plan B which was to drive back to Emu Park to Jolt. We enjoyed a cuppa and chat and then went back to collect the men. They enjoyed the tour. Then we went back to the caravan park to collect Pete Mate and we all went to Rosslyn Bay for lunch. It was a lovely meal but huge even though I thought I was ordering a small lunch. Afterwards the others had a walk around the marina whilst I waited in the car.

Later we enjoyed a pizza night. We were a group of over twenty people and many pizzas were collected and eaten. I had organised a cake with sparkly candles in the shape of 70 for John as he turned 70 on 3rd September and the trip was to celebrate his birthday. The candles went out before I got to him but it was the thought that counted. It was a very good night enjoyed by all.

Sunday 10th September 2017

It was the final Ferns trip of the year. We wanted John, Rosemary and Andrew to enjoy the experience and Roger wanted his son Noddy also to enjoy it. We were a party of 14 and it was an excellent number for us all to chat. Marto was on form and we all enjoyed a lovely afternoon. Pete Mate enjoyed it more than anyone and entertained everyone at happy hour with his antics.

Monday 11th September 2017

We said our goodbyes to Roger and Noddy. Then later Andrew cooked lunch for us all today before we took him to the airport. The lunch was very nice and once again very big. Andrew had to return home as he had to go back to work. Happy hour was quite pleasant and short because I think we were all tired.

Tuesday 12th September 2017

Pete Mate and I had podiatrist appointments in Yeppoon. We dropped off John and Rosemary on the ocean front to have a walk around whilst our feet were busy. We then met at the Coffee Club for coffee and lunch. It was very pleasant, just sitting and relaxing, watching the world go by. When we left there we went into the shopping mall and Rosemary and I had a session of clothes browsing and buying. The men disappeared to the coffee club for a drink whilst Rosemary and I continued our browsing in Big W. Once home we had enough time for a quick nap before happy hour.

Wednesday 13th September 2017

It was a bit of a rest day today as Pete Mate and I had doctors’ appointments in the middle of the day. As it turned out John needed a script so we all went to see Dr Beth. Later we cooked dinner in the camp kitchen and John and Rosemary talked on Skype with Nic and Jamie in Perth.

Thursday 14th September 2017

We were out early this morning because we were taking John and Rosemary to Mt Morgan to do the tour. It was an excellent tour which lasted about two and half hours. John our guide was very informative and we learnt an awful lot about Mt Morgan. Afterwards we had lunch at a pub which was huge. Mine was not what I expected but the others were happy with their meals. Happy hour was good, we had an extended one after everyone else had left. It was us, John, Rosemary and Sue . . . and we remembered to invite Jim along.

Friday 15th September 2017

Sue invited us up to her house on the hill to show John and Rosemary the views. It was a lovely afternoon and was enjoyed by all. In the evening we went to Jolt for dinner. Sue and Barbara joined us as did Brian, Jan and Stan. It was a good evening. Before we went to dinner we had a drive up to the Singing Ship to see it lit up. It was supposed to be gold for Children’s Cancer Month but when we got there it was more a bluey colour. It was still worth seeing.

Coloured Ship
Everything except the Ship looks gold. Perhaps that's the idea?

Saturday 16th September 2017

John and Rosemary vacated the cabin early so the cleaners could clean. We sat outside the ‘van and shared a cuppa or two. We then drove into Rocky. We had a drive around before settling on a restaurant for lunch. It was called Ribs and Rump, Rosemary had the ribs to which she is very partial. All our meals were good and the service excellent; all in all it was a very pleasant time.

We then had a walk down by the Fitzroy River before heading back to the car. It was still too early to go to the airport so we had a drive around and ended up in the botanical gardens. From there we made our way to the airport. We said our goodbyes and left, I have no need for prolonged goodbyes. We were heading home when I checked my emails and found one from our good friend Sandy to tell us Jill (his wife and also a good friend) had been taken to the hospital. I read this out just as we were passing the hospital so Pete Mate did a quick turn around and we went to find her. She was in emergency and looking very pale and sad. We didn’t stay too long but it was good to see her.

Once home we went to stay goodbye to Maggie and Sandy who leave in the morning, we will miss them. Then it was on to happy hour which was good but I was so tired I could have put my head on the table and slept. It wouldn’t have been the first time.

Sunday 17th September 2017

Sue and I went to a wellness and spiritual expo. We had a wander around and then enjoyed a morning tea. Not much else happened except for a little while before happy hour Noreen, Lionel and I blew bubbles. Always good fun. At happy hour we said goodbye to Jan and Brian until next year.

Monday 18th September 2017

After I had completed my daily chores I laid back on the bed and had a huge rest. I felt I needed it. In the afternoon Pete Mate and I did some computer work for Sue. Michele Dodds was at happy hour, she was visiting her father, old Al. Michele and her husband, (also Alan), used to come to Emu Park for the winter until Alan passed away. A lovely couple.

Tuesday 19th September 2017

Pete Mate and I attended the council meeting in Yeppoon. We tried to find out what was happening with the park. We were only there a short while when the meeting became closed and we had to leave. We heard later the caravan park was not discussed. We went in search of a cuppa and then decided to drive into Rocky. We had a few things to do before Peter had his appointment with a specialist. After the previous debacle we had asked for a second opinion.

Dr Russell was a friendly sort of chap and had an entirely different opinion to Dr Andrews. In fact, he said the operation she was wanting to perform would have made Peter’s situation worse! Dr Russell is sending a report to our GP suggesting a new medication and another specialist appointment. Possibly no operation needed. We came home a lot happier.

Wednesday 20th September 2017

I went over to Iris’s for a cup of tea and a chat. The rest of the day was just ordinary.

Thursday 21st September 2017

I went to CWA in the morning and made a few cards. In the afternoon I worked on Sue’s accounts whilst Pete Mate read his book.

Friday 22nd September 2017

I worked on the accounts most of the day. In the evening we went to the Waterline Restaurant with Sue. We met up with friends Courtney and Damian and of course little Paxton. It was a lovely evening.

Saturday 23rd September 2017

I was up and out early to do the shopping. Emu Park was very busy everywhere, probably due to the Fishing Competition being held here. Once home I started to clean out cupboards and soon had two boxes full for the charity shop.

Sunday 24th September 2017

A day of reading, knitting and pottering about. I did some more cupboards. We enjoyed an extended happy hour with some moonshine and food. It was a really good evening. Noreen and I got a little squiffy by the end of it.

Monday 25th September 2017

Once again we had a few things to do in Rocky plus I had my pre op appointment. I arrived on time but the pre op nurse didn’t; in fact, she didn’t show up at all. After waiting nearly an hour a surgical nurse did my checks and then said the rest would be done over the phone. I was not very happy by the time I left there.

Tuesday 26th September 2017

I received the pre op phone call. All seems to be fine as it is a repeat of the July operation, just the other knee.

Wednesday 27th September 2017

I went over to Iris’s for a cuppa and then I did some shopping. The afternoon was spent knitting.

Thursday 28th September 2017

I went to the CWA for the usual card making and made seven Christmas cards. In the afternoon I helped Sue out with a phone conference meeting.

Friday 29th September 2017

We went into Yeppoon to do some shopping, had some lunch and then on the way home collected the prawn order. In the evening a group of us went to Jolt for dinner and the music. It was a good night.

Saturday 30th September 2017

I went off early to do my Saturday shopping. It was much easier this week as I didn’t have the supermarket shop to do. Later I did some cleaning and then some knitting.

Please click on 'NEXT PAGE' below.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page