I begin on two crutches and finish on none ~ November 2017

You cannot start the next chapter if you keep rereading the last one.

Wednesday 1st November 2017

Another day in hospital . . . pretty much like any other.

Thursday 2nd November 2017

Pretty much the same as yesterday except today it was confirmed I can go home tomorrow.

Friday 3rd November 2017

I had an early session with the physio and then it was all systems go to see me off the premises. Once home I had a good rest and then in the evening we went to Jolt for dinner. Luckily we did as it is the last Friday night they are open for a while. It was very enjoyable but by the time we got home I was more than ready for my bed.

Saturday 4th November 2017

Oktoberfest day. We had borrowed a wheelchair from friend Barbara so I could attend. We arrived around midday and found a spot in the shade and very close to the loo! Always important when you are on crutches.

After the official opening at 1.00pm our entertainment consisted of two "stand-up comedians" who must have taken leave of their senses because they could see it was a family day but they used bad language and told very crude jokes. The day is organised by the Lions Club and our friend Dougie is a very active member. He told them to get off the stage. Thank the Lord for Dougie.

After that we had very loud music and dancing, neither of which interested Pete Mate and I. We ate a mediocre lunch and then, when Heidi started yodelling, I was ready for home. It was lovely to see how many people dressed up and were very much in the spirit of the thing but we decided it wasn’t our cup of tea. Friends Monika and Eckard had travelled up from Hervey Bay especially for it but were of the same opinion as us.

Sunday 5th November 2017

A rest day – it was very much needed.

Monday 6th November 2017

It was a day of catch up, our paperwork and Sue’s paperwork plus making appointments and resting.

Tuesday 7th November 2017

It was my first session with Belinda, a new physio. She was very good and soon picked up that my body was out of line which I had felt for ages. She pulled here and pushed there in places that you normally need a licence to do. A marriage Licence! The result was I can walk better and without so much pain.

Wednesday 8th November 2017

Iris came over for coffee in the morning and then in the afternoon I concentrated on Sue’s accounts.

Thursday 9th November 2017

Iris very kindly collected me in her car and took me to the CWA for card making. I made four Christmas cards. Pete Mate collected me as we had some shopping to do. Once home it was back to Sue’s accounts.

Friday 10th November 2017

I spent all day working on Sue’s accounts, I need to finalise a lot of things because, sadly, Sue leaves the park on Sunday and new managers take over on Monday.

Saturday 11th November 2017

We went to the Remembrance service at the RSL. It was extremely windy and it was very hard to hear what the officials were saying. After wreath laying has finished I always lay flowers for my nephew Stephen, who died in the Falklands war. It took me a moment or two to get going on the crutches and Peter held the flowers. Everyone was watching because they wanted to start singing the national anthem. Pete bent down to lay the flowers and his fly gaped open, once more he forgot to zip it up! He kind of covered himself until out of sight and zipped it up.

After the service we went inside the RSL for a cup of tea and a biscuit. We did some shopping on the way home and then it was back to the accounts before going to the Anderson’s for afternoon tea. Robyn and Ray are permanents in the park and kindly organised a farewell afternoon tea for Sue. We all gave some money towards a garden centre voucher for a gift.

Sunday 12th November 2017

I spent some time with Sue sorting out the paperwork. I then watched a DVD which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was called The Intern. Best part is it was free from the library. In the evening it was the staff’s turn to farewell Sue and we enjoyed a pizza evening. The end of an era.

Monday 13th November 2017

Peter and I went into Yeppoon to the podiatrist. Once our feet were revamped we bought some wine and then went to the shopping mall for some lunch and some shopping. Whilst there we saw friends Jill and Sandy, it was good to see them.

Before starting the shopping Pete Mate and I paid a visit to the loo and yes, he had done it again. He has been walking around all morning with his fly unzipped. In the evening it was meet and greet time with the new managers, Kellie and Andrew plus Alicia, one of the new lease owners. We enjoyed a sausage sizzle with wine and beer provided. It was a very pleasant evening and was well attended by the permanents and us. (We are classed as semi permanents).

Tuesday 14th November 2017

We were back again to Yeppoon, this time for my physio appointment. It went well, Belinda is pleased with my progress but boy, does that girl hurt. We came home via Jolt in the village. Happy hour was very pleasant with Colleen and Bill and our neighbours who leave tomorrow.

Wednesday 15th November 2017

Iris came over for coffee which was the highlight of my day. The rest of the time I either slept or watched television. No energy. At Happy Hour we met a new couple Fiona and Mark, lovely people and we four hit it off and had a lot of laughs. Plus Fi had had two new knees this year 12 weeks apart the same as me and we compared notes.

Thursday 16th November 2017

Iris collected me and took me to the CWA for card making. I made some Christmas cards. Peter collected me from the CWA for a Doctor’s appointment. When we arrived the receptionist informed us someone had made a mistake with our booking and we were not booked to see our usual doctor. She then made us another appointment for tomorrow at Yeppoon but with our own doctor. Not happy little campers.

Friday 17th November 2017

We saw our doctor in Yeppoon and then went to do some shopping. The afternoon was spent knitting.

Saturday 18th November 2017

Pete Mate dropped me off at the CWA for the Multi Draw and morning tea. It was a really enjoyable morning and I won a Christmas cake. When that was all over, Pete Mate collected me and went to the RSL to listen to the Rockhampton Pipe Band. They were really good and it was an enjoyable afternoon sipping wine with friends and listening to, among other popular tunes, the Pipe Band’s version of Amazing Grace. Goose bump time. The ladies of the RSL prepared a barbecue lunch which was very tasty and free. Once home we had a rest before Happy Hour. It was Fiona and Mark’s last happy hour, we have enjoyed their company and will miss them.

Sunday 19th November 2017

We do not have to be anywhere today. I decided to give the markets a miss. I did cook brunch in the camp kitchen which was easier than cooking at home. One-crutch-cooking is not the best. Pete Mate came over and helped which was good. We had just finished eating when Fi and Mark knocked on the door to say their good byes. Sad. I then spent a lot of time writing Christmas cards and knitting.

Monday 20th November 2017

I had a busy morning doing little things around the caravan that had been on my to do list for a while. Sue collected me in the afternoon for a conference call with her finance chap. Once home I had a good nap and then it was time for happy hour.

Tuesday 21st November 2017

It was my physio appointment in the morning. It went well, Belinda is happy with my progress. We then went to the shopping mall to do some shopping and have some lunch. We saw Genevieve (from the Ferns) in Woolworths and stopped for a chat then we saw friends Tiger and Trish and again stopped for a chat. Once home, and when the shopping was away, I had a rest and then did some of Sue’s work. Slowly it is coming to an end.

Wednesday 22nd November

Iris came over for coffee and then the rest of day was spent knitting and reading.

Thursday 23rd November 2017

Iris collected me for card making at the CWA. I made nine Christmas cards which was good going even for me. In the afternoon I did some of Sue’s work.

Friday 24th November

We went into Rocky for my six weeks 'hip to ankle' X-ray. The platform I had to stand on was broken so I had to stand on a pile of books. Not a happy situation. The girl said be careful, I don’t want you to fall. A good plan if ever I heard one, can you imagine falling on two artificial knees, an artificial hip and a weak ankle.

Once that was out of the way we went to the mall to do a little shopping, buy wine, and have some lunch. We went up the hill to friends Tiger and Trish’s for happy hour which was lovely. We then went to the Bowling club for tea. I won the meat tray in the raffle.

Saturday 25th November 2017

Friend Robyn collected me this morning for the RSL Cent Sale. It was a lovely morning and I won two prizes, another cake and some body wash. Useful things. When I got home I decided to tackle the cupboard under the sink. It had a very unpleasant smell. I cleaned everything out and didn’t find anything dead but I did find a bottle of ammonia leaking.

Sunday 26th November 2017

Pete Mate and I spent a very pleasant time out at the Waterline Restaurant. The music was very pleasant to listen to though a tad too loud at times. Our food was yummy, Sri Lankan Seafood Curry, a huge meal and we were very full. We came home for a nanny nap before happy hour.

Monday 27th November 2017

I went to Sue’s in the afternoon to help with some finance things. Nothing else happened here in sunny Emu Park.

Tuesday 28th November 2017

It was my physio appointment today and I arrived in a lot of pain. Belinda worked her magic and the pain eased. We then did some shopping and had some lunch. One of our purchases was two small fans for either side of the bed for those warm sticky nights. We will test them tonight.

Wednesday 29th November 2017

I slept very well thanks to my fan; Pete Mate hasn’t taken his out of the box yet. We went into Rocky for my six week check up for the right knee. Dr P was pleased with everything and I no longer need my crutch. Plus, I can drive! After we left there we went to do some shopping in Stockland which is a medium sized shopping mall. We walked the full length of it and back again and by the time I got home my right leg was screaming, "Enough!"

Thursday 30th November 2017

I drove myself to CWA for card making. I made ten cards and think now I have enough for this Christmas. Afterwards I did some shopping in the village. In the afternoon I rested the legs and did some knitting.

Page Top

Next Page

Previous Page

Index Page